On Friday, September 18, Google removed the payment app Paytm from its Play Store, citing violations of its App Store’s gaming policies. Google’s action came a day before the start of the Indian Premier League (IPL) T20 tournament as part of the company’s offensive against sports betting promotion apps.
- In particular, Paytm is one of the biggest competitors to Google Pay in the Indian digital payments space.
- Any Android user who wants to install or update the Paytm app will no longer be able to do so.
- However, those who have already installed the application on their devices will be able to continue using it normally.
- Also, since only Google removed the app, iPhone users (using the iOS version of the app) will not be affected.
- Although the general Paytm application has been removed, other applications developed by the company such as Paytm Money, Paytm Mall, etc. are still available on the Play Store.
why did Google remove the Paytm app?
According to Google, the Play Store bans online casinos and other unregulated gambling apps that facilitate or promote sports betting in India.
- The general Paytm app promotes fantastic sports, which have repeatedly violated Google Play Store policies.
- In a blog post on Friday, Suzanne Frey, Android Vice President of Product, Security and Privacy, said: “We do not allow online casinos and we do not support any unregulated gaming applications. making sports betting easier.
- This includes if an application takes consumers to an external website that allows them to participate in paid tournaments to win real money or cash prizes, this is a violation of our policies.
Has Google taken action against other similar applications?
- The fantasy sports app Dream11, which is the title sponsor of this year’s IPL tournament, has not been allowed on the Android maker’s Play Store because it allows users to win real money.
- Google has also been known to reach out to Disney + Hotstar’s video streaming app, the official online broadcaster of the IPL, to display warning notes before showing ads for great sports apps.
More Colleges to Consider CUET for PG Admissions
CUET UG 2023: Today the edit application window opens, steps to edit the online form
CUET LLB 2023