Why Online Degree ?
COVID-19 has led to the closure of offline courses around the world and the emergence of the online learning platform. This pandemic has radically changed the education sector. There has been a significant increase in the use of language apps, virtual tutoring, video conferencing tools, and e-learning software.
In response to this significant increase in demand for e-learning, many e-learning platforms are offering access to their services. Access to a wide range of online courses has also benefited students. Some research shows that online learning has many benefits: students can learn at their own pace, they can go back and reread chapters, they can also skip or speed up concepts in their spare time.
UGC Approved Online Degrees in India
Starting in 2020, Indian universities can offer online degrees. The offer continues to grow. In 2020, Indian universities were able to offer degrees fully online for the first time. While this can be seen as a response to the pandemic (which has increased interest in online education and Class Central), India’s online degrees have been made possible by regulations approved by the University Scholarship Commission (UGC) in 2018.
UGC Online Degree Regulation
In India, the UGC is responsible for “determining and maintaining the standards of teaching, examination and research in universities”. According to the 2018 UGC (Online Courses) Regulation, to be eligible to offer online degrees, a university must:
• Have been around for at least five years.
• Be accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
• Be among the top 100 universities in India according to the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) for at least two of the past three years.
This changed in September 2020, when the UGC released the University Fellowships Commission (Open and Distance Learning Programs and Online Programs) Regulation, 2020. Under the new regulation, the UGC granted automatic approval to universities that meet certain criteria. Here is the direct quote:
“Higher education institutions that have an NAAC score of 3.26 and above or that are in the Top-100 in the University category of the National Institutional Classification Framework, at least twice in the previous three cycles (at the time of application), they will be allowed to start full-fledged programs online without the prior approval of the UGC. “
Prior to the introduction of these regulations, Indian students could earn up to 20% of their degree online through SWAYAM, India’s official MOOC platform. SWAYAM’s academic credit system is detailed in the framework set up by the UGC in mid-2016.
On March 25, 2020, UGC released the Credit Framework for Online Learning Courses through Active Learning Study Websites for Young Aspiring Minds Commission Rules, 2021. Under these new rules, UGC has increased the number of credits obtainable online for 40%.
Universities offering online degrees in India may offer them through SWAYAM or other learning management systems that meet certain criteria.
In December 2018, 3,800 students flocked to testing centers in India to take exams for the courses they had taken at SWAYAM.
Online Degrees in India
In 2020, UGC published a list of 37 programs from 7 Indian universities that have been approved for streaming online. IIT Madras, the Higher Technical Institute of India, also announced an online stackable data science and programming bachelor’s degree for ~ ₹ 242,000 (~ $ 3,300) from IIT Madras. According to IIT Madras, 7,116 students were admitted to its first cohort. These programs range from certificates to master’s degrees.
But new online degrees from India are cheaper than that. The most expensive ones, like the BSc from IIT Madras or the MBA from Amity University, cost half as much as the Georgia Tech online degree. And the cheapest, IGNOU’s Bachelor of Tourism, costs 10,200, or about $ 135.
More recently, O.P. Jindal Global University announced three new online degrees on Coursera. Two of them cost $ 6,000, while an MBA in Business Analytics costs $ 7,500, making it the most expensive online degree offered by an Indian university. Some of these prices are still too high for much of the Indian population. But on a global scale, where many online titles cost tens of thousands of dollars, they are very affordable. Some Indian universities like IIT and IIM are also well known in the world. I wonder if, in the long run, India could become an exporter of higher education.
Below you can find the list of all available online Indian titles sorted by program. You can click on a program to access the corresponding section.
• Master’s degree
• Bachelor’s degree
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ's
Are online degree courses internationally recognized?
There are many reasons why a person may want to study or work abroad. You may be looking for a different style of education, better job prospects, or the opportunity to study specific courses. Or you can go abroad to immerse yourself in other fascinating cultures. Develop language and life skills as you explore the wonderful world around us.
As companies also become increasingly global, it is more important than ever that people have academic mobility. If you’re packing your bags and looking for an opportunity abroad, you’ll want your education to support you.
Having a globally recognized background can help you realize your international ambition. It can be essential for continuing education and finding employment in some cases. In some countries it is also vital that you obtain a visa. However, internationally recognized online courses are not always straightforward.
Do the online degree courses offer the same qualifications?
Studying with an accredited online degree course provider means that the qualifications you receive are exactly the same as those from physical colleges. This means that an A level in Business Studies is the same whether studied online or offline. This also applies to GCSEs, diplomas, higher education access diplomas, and online diplomas.
While they are regulated and accredited by a certifying body, they are no different from those studied on campus. You will have received the same rigorous level of education and an indistinguishable grade upon completion.
Now that this has been clarified, we can re-determine which courses are internationally recognized. Some are clearer than others. And this is partly due to the fact that not all online courses qualify.
Those that aren’t are no less valuable as they can help you learn essential skills. However, depending on what you apply for abroad, they may not demonstrate your academic or professional ability.
What are the advantages of an online degree course?
- Online degree courses are convenient.
- Online degree courses offer flexibility.
- Online degree courses bring education straight to your home.
- Online degree courses offer more personalized attention.
- Online degree courses help you meet interesting people.
- Online degree courses give you real skills.
- Online degree courses promote lifelong learning.
- Online courses have financial advantages.
- Online degree courses teach you to be self-disciplined.
- Online degree courses connect you to the global village.
How could there be downsides to online degree courses?
- Online degree courses take longer than on-campus courses.
- Online degree courses make procrastination easy.
- Online degree courses require good time management skills.
- Online degree classes can create a feeling of isolation.
- Online courses allow you to be more independent.
- Online degree courses require you to be an active learner.
- Online degree courses don’t have an instructor pestering you to focus on your homework.
- Online degree courses can give you more freedom than you can handle.
- Online degree courses require you to find your own learning path.
- Online degree courses require that you be responsible for your own learning.
Best Online Degree Courses
Industry pertinent specializations: Training for Data Analytics, Marketing, HR, Finance, Project Management and Operations, Financial Management.
Learning from Top Indian and Foreign Faculty.
360 degree Career/Placement Assistance.
Alumni status from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
Free of cost training & certificates from top industry leaders like Amazon, Microsoft, Oracle, Google and relevant industry-ready trainings.
6 -month mandatory internship/Mentored industry-relevant projects in the last Semester.
Excellent Opportunity to Build your startup at Amrita TBI- India’s top startup incubator.
Unique opportunity to be Ambassadors to Social Organization and have an experience of working for Non-profit work through Ayudh.
CIR provides 360* assistance to students by providing training, mentoring, in terms of CV writing, mock GD and interview sessions. We have a record of 95% of student’s placement in different corporate sectors with more than 200 companies participating.
Founded in 1994.
No. 1 Private University in India, World University Rankings 2020 Times Higher Education.
No. 1 in India in international Faculty, QS World University Rankings2020.
4th Best University in India, NIRF Govt of India 2020 rankings.
Institute of Eminence – Govt. of India.
Accredited with “A” grade – NAAC.
Accreditation from AACS (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business).
Accreditation from NBA (National Board of Accreditation).
Ranked among top Private Universities by ARIIA (Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements
Bachelors in Business Administration-BBA
Bachelors in Computer Application- BCA
- Chandigarh University (CU) is a private university established in 2012 by the Punjab State Legislature and is recognized by University Grants Commission
- Under Section 2(F) with the right to confer degrees as per Section 22(1) of the UGC Act, 1956. The National Institutional Ranking Framework ranked Chandigarh
- University 84 in the engineering category and 51 in the management category, as per the rankings released in June 2020.
- Achievements at a Glance
- UGC recognized, National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) A+, The University became “The Youngest University” to be ranked by
- NIRF, Govt. of India.
- First Indian university to hold Limca Book Of Records for Highest Number of Recruiting Companies in one academic year.
- Considered amongst the top 50 private state universities by the Outlook-ICARE India University Ranking 2019.
- Alumni network of over 38879 candidates who are all currently working under some of the best MNCs in the world.
- Live TA Sessions – 2 times a week
- Get your queries answered in the online discussion forum.
- Get your doubts resolved in TA Sessions 2 times a week.
- Live Lectures by industry experts and eminent faculty every 15 days
- Recorded lectures & live sessions
- 24*7 Doubt Clarification
- Get your queries answered in the online discussion forum.
- Get your doubts resolved in TA Sessions 2 times a week.
- Live Lectures by industry experts and eminent faculty every 15 days.
- Personality Development and Interview Prep Career Coaching Sessions free of cost.
- Get Dedicated Student Support Team.
- Certification to be provided from upGrad
- Opportunity to earn free certifications in business analytics, entrepreneurship, digital marketing during the course of the degree. (SS Team)
- 1 month free subscription to JEET app, unlimited government exam prep content
- Get free aptitude and soft skills training after 1st year
- Interview for the most lucrative career opportunities with upGrad’s 300+ hiring partner’s
- Upgrad networking.
University Grants Commission
All India Council for Technical Education
Bar Council of India (BCI)
National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE)
Association of Indian Universities (AIU)
Computer Society of India (CSI)
International Association of Universities (IAU)
Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU)
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Course Offering Bachelor in Computer Application Bachelor in Business Administration BA in Journalism & Mass-communication Masters of science in Data Science MBA - General MA in Journalism & Mass-communication
- Deemed to be university in 2009
- Awarded graded autonomy by UGC
- UGC recognised online degree programs
- Located in Banglore
- 400 recruiters visit the campus
- 50+ Innovative emerging fields
Graded ‘A’ by NAAC (3.31 Score)
85th Rank in the overall category, 2020 by NIRF
Ranked 6th among the Top private university by India Today (2021)
Ranked 91-95 among the top Indian universities by QS World Ranking
Awarded ISO 9001:2015 certification by TUV India
Powered by upGrad
Sales & Marketing
MBA - Advertising & Branding
MBA - Strategy & Leadership
BBA - Advertising & Branding
BBA - Strategy & Leadership
MBA - Marketing
HRM | Finance | System & Ops | General Management | Marketing & Finance | Marketing & HRM | Finance & HRM | Aviation Management | IT Management
BBA - Marketing | HRM | Finance
BCom - Accounting & Finance | MCom - Accounting & Finance | MCA -Computer Science & IT | MA - English | MA - Economics | MA - Mass Communication