IAF helicopter crash | The consultation excludes mechanical failure, sabotage or negligence
Daily NEWS Summary | 14-01-2022; The tri-agency investigation into the Mi-17 V5 helicopter that killed Chief of the Defense Staff (CDS), General Bipin Rawat, and 13 others has presented its preliminary findings that the crash happened due to an “unexpected change” in weather conditions they drove to fly spatial disorientation resulting in controlled flight into terrain (CFIT), the Indian Air Force (IAF) said on January 14.
- The IAF added that the investigation team analyzed the flight data recorder and the cockpit voice recorder, in addition to interviewing all available witnesses to determine the most likely cause of the accident. Investigation results that were sent for a forensic investigation before being presented to the Ministry of Defense indicated that CFIT was the probable cause of the accident.
J&K police arrest human rights activist Ahsan Untoo for ‘spreading discontent’ against India
Daily NEWS Summary | 14-01-2022; On January 14, J&K police said they arrested and detained human rights activist Ahsan Untoo for “sowing discontent, ill will and discord against the Union of India”.
- Police said Untoo’s activities amounted to the commission of a recognizable crime. Srinagar Police have registered a complaint against him under the relevant sections of the law. An investigation into the case has been opened and the accused has been arrested and is in pre-trial detention, he added.
- Lately, J&K Police have launched a big campaign against Kashmiris who are speaking out on social media and criticizing the current government and its policies in Kashmir. He previously convicted Muzammil Ayyub Thakur and Dr Asif Dar, both living outside India, on numerous counts including militancy and secessionism.
- Police said Untoo was a proactive secessionist and an active participant and speaker in Twitter spaces titled “Radio Resistance Kashmir” run by Thakur and Dar, two well-known secessionists. Thakur and Dar, in their online statements, refuted the police charges and denied any involvement in militant activities at J&K.
Bishop Franco acquitted in a case of rape by a nun
Daily NEWS Summary | 14-01-2022; On January 14, Kottayam District and Supplementary Session I Court acquitted Bishop Franco Mulakkal, former head of the Latin Catholic Diocese of Jalandhar, of all charges related to a rape complaint filed by a nun from the same diocese. “Glory to the Lord,” the bishop told the media as he left the court after the verdict. He also broke down and kissed his lawyers after the trial.
- Earlier in the day, police had tightened security at the courthouse in light of a possible law and order crisis. Based on a rape complaint filed by a nun on June 29, 2018, the bishop was arrested on September 21 of the same year. He was in jail for 25 days after the court detained him.
- The indictment against the bishop, consisting of 2,000 pages in three volumes, was submitted on April 4, 2019. The trial in the case began in November 2019 and ended on January 10. Of the 83 witnesses listed by the prosecution, 39 were cross-examined. during the trial.
- Witnesses included the Senior Archbishop of the Syro-Malabar Church, Cardinal Mar George Alencherry, Bishop Kurian Valiyakandathil, Bishop of Bhagalpur in Bihar, and Bishop Sebastian Vadakkel of the Diocese of Ujjain, as well as 11 priests and 25 nuns.
- Bishop was prosecuted as a defendant in the case under Sections 342 of the Indian Penal Code (forcible confinement), 376 (2k) (rape of a woman incapable of consent), 376 (2n) (causing bodily harm grievous bodily harm in rape), 376(c)(a) and 377 (crime against nature) and 506(1) (criminal intimidation).
Russia demands response from US and NATO next week on Ukraine
Daily NEWS Summary | 14-01-2022; Russia vigorously reiterated its demand that NATO not expand eastward, despite rejecting the military alliance amid a buildup of Russian troops near Ukraine. He added that he would not wait indefinitely for a Western response.
- Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov described Moscow’s demands that NATO not expand or deploy forces in Ukraine and other former Soviet countries as key to advancing diplomatic efforts to ease rising tensions about Ukraine.
- He argued that the deployment of NATO forces and weapons near Russia’s borders poses a security problem that must be addressed immediately. “We have lost patience,” Lavrov told a news conference. “The West has been fueled by arrogance and escalating tensions in violation of its obligations and common sense.”
- Lavrov said that Russia expects Washington and NATO to provide a written response to his requests next week. Amid the tensions, Ukraine suffered a massive cyberattack, which affected the websites of various government agencies.
- This week’s talks in Geneva and a related meeting between NATO and Russia in Brussels came amid a major Russian troop buildup near Ukraine that the West fears could be a prelude to an invasion. Russia, which annexed Ukraine’s Crimean peninsula in 2014, has denied plans to attack its neighbor but has warned the West that NATO’s expansion into Ukraine and other former Soviet forces is a “red line” not must cross.
- Washington and its allies have firmly rejected Moscow’s demand for security guarantees that prevent NATO expansion, but Russia and the West have agreed to leave the door open for possible new talks on arms control and confidence-building measures to reduce the potential for hostilities.
- The negotiations took place as some 100,000 Russian troops equipped with tanks and other heavy weapons massed near Ukraine’s eastern border. The United States and its allies have urged Russia to relax by bringing troops back to their permanent bases, but Moscow has rejected the request, saying it is free to deploy forces on its soil wherever it deems necessary.
Novak Djokovic’s visa canceled for the second time by the Australian government
Daily NEWS Summary | 14-01-2022; The Australian government canceled Novak Djokovic’s visa for the second time on January 14, saying the world’s No. 1 tennis player, who is not vaccinated against COVID-19, could pose a risk to the community.
- The decision raises the possibility of a second legal battle so that the Serbian tennis star can stay and try to clinch the 21st major tennis title at the Australian Open, but time is running out with the tournament starting on January 17.
- Australian Immigration Minister Alex Hawke used his discretion to revoke Djokovic’s visa after a court overturned an earlier revocation and released him from immigration detention on January 10.
- Under the section of the Migration Act that the Minister used to exercise his power to cancel the visa, Djokovic would not be able to obtain a visa to come to Australia for three years, except in compelling circumstances affecting Australia’s interests. Djokovic, the defending Australian Open champion, was included in the January 13 draw as the top seed and would face fellow Serbian Miomir Kecmanovic in his first match, likely on January 17 or 18.
- The saga has intensified the global debate over vaccine choice rights, raised questions about Australia’s botched handling of Djokovic’s visa and has become a sticky issue for Prime Minister Scott Morrison as he campaigns for re-election. of the.
- The tennis star, a vaccine skeptic, fueled widespread anger in Australia when he announced last week that he would travel to Melbourne for the Australian Open with a medical exemption from the requirements for visitors to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Australia has suffered some of the longest lockdowns in the world, has a 90 percent vaccination rate among adults and has seen an uncontrolled Omicron outbreak that brought nearly a million cases in the last two weeks.
- Upon his arrival, Australian Border Force officials decided that his waiver was invalid and held him and the asylum seekers in an immigration detention hotel for several days.
- On January 10, a court allowed him to keep on the grounds that officials had been “unreasonable” in the way they handled his seven-hour interview in the middle of the night.
- Djokovic’s cause was not helped by an error in his entry statement related to foreign travel in the previous two weeks, which he blamed on his agent. He also admitted that he had to postpone an interview and photo shoot for a French newspaper on December 18 when he contracted COVID-19.
- An online poll by media group News Corp found that 83% were in favor of the government trying to deport the tennis star.
Covid Updates: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India stood at 3,6665,760 at the time of this bulletin’s publication, with the death toll at 485,650.