Mother of Unnao rape victim, anti-CAA activist on first list of 125 candidates for U.P.
Daily NEWS Summary | 13-01-2021; Unnao’s rape victim’s mother, an anti-Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) campaigner and Asha’s worker activist are among 50 candidates on the Congress Party’s first slate of 125 candidates. upcoming Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections.
- In releasing the list at an online press conference, Congress Secretary General Priyanka Gandhi Vadra said she was sending a “new message” that those “who face injustice have power to fight for their rights”.
- Asha Singh, mother of rape victim, was dispatched from Unnao Assembly Headquarters and anti-CAA activist and party spokesperson in Uttar Pradesh, Sadaf Jafar, from Lucknow Central.
- The 2017 Unnao gang rape incident made headlines as former BJP MP Kuldeep Singh Sengar was not only found guilty of sexually assaulting the 17-year-old victim but also was implicated in his father’s death.
- Asha worker and activist Poonam Pandey, who fought for the rights of Asha workers was sent from Shahjahanpur and Ram Raj Gond, a tribal leader who fought for the rights of Adivasis in Sonbhadra , in the Ponga constituency.
- Vadra said Congress was making a fresh start by fielding 40% women candidates, while 40% were young. Asked about the role Congress sees itself in these elections, the U.P. in charge said they would like to strengthen their organization and work to overthrow the government of Yogi Adityanath.
- Besides featuring Pradesh Congress Committee Chief Ajay Kumar Lallu (Tamkuhi Raj), Legislative Party Leader Aradhna Misra Mona (Rampur Khas) and Louise Khurshid (Farrukhabad), the party gave tickets to journalists, actors and social workers who fought in the streets. for their rights.
Dharma Sansad hate speech case: Jitendra Narayan Tyagi arrested
Daily NEWS Summary | 13-01-2021; In the first arrest in the Dharma Sansad hate speech case, Waseem Rizvi also known as Jitendra Narayan Tyagi was arrested in Roorkee, Haridwar district. Rizvi, who changed her name to Jitendra Narayan Tyagi after converting to Hinduism, is among more than ten people named in FIRs filed in connection with the case.
- He was previously the head of the Uttar Pradesh Shia Waqf Board. Waseem Rizvi was arrested at Narsan border, Roorkee, Haridwar Chief Superintendent of Police (SSP), Yogendra Rawat, told PTI.
- This is the first arrest in the case. Some participants in the Dharma Sansad held in Haridwar from December 17-19 have been accused of making highly provocative speeches against Muslims. When asked if further arrests would follow, the SSP said that would depend on the progress of the investigation.
- The Uttarakhand government was under tremendous pressure from different quarters to take action against those who gave the speeches at the event. Even the Supreme Court had on Wednesday arrested the state government for failing to act against the culprits, even so long after the incident.
Preliminary data shows that Vaxzevria is administered as a third dose of antibody response to Omicron: AstraZeneca
Daily NEWS Summary | 13-01-2021; Multinational biopharmaceutical company AstraZeneca said that preliminary analysis from an ongoing immunogenicity and safety trial indicated that Vaxzevria, when given as a third booster dose, increased the antibody response to the Omicron variant.
- The study also noted that the booster dose of the company’s COVID-19 vaccine Vaxzevria also increased the immune response to Beta, Delta, Alpha and Gamma variants of SARS-CoV-2. The results were observed in individuals previously vaccinated with Vaxzevria or with an mRNA vaccine.
- Under a sublicense agreement with AstraZeneca, the Vaxzevria vaccine is manufactured and supplied by the Serum Institute of India under the name Covishield. Given the current pandemic emergency and Vaxzevria’s heightened immune response to the Omicron variant, the company will continue to advance regulatory filings worldwide for use as a third dose booster, he added.
- The Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is suitable as an option to boost immunity in populations in countries considering booster programs, adding to the protection already demonstrated with the first two doses, he added
- Vaxzevria was invented by Oxford University.
- It uses a replication-deficient chimpanzee viral vector based on a weakened version of a common cold virus (adenovirus) that causes infections in chimpanzees and contains the genetic material for the spike protein of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. After vaccination, the surface spike protein is produced, which primes the immune system to attack the SARS-CoV-2 virus if it later infects the body.
- The vaccine has obtained conditional marketing authorization or emergency use in more than 90 countries. It also features the World Health Organization Emergency Use List, which speeds access to up to 144 countries through the COVAX facility.
Covid Updates: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India was 3,6418,314 at the time of publication of this bulletin, with a death toll of 485,259.