Daily NEWS Summary | 24-07-2021; India won its first medal on day one of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics amid a raging pandemic, bringing joy and hope to the Indian camp when Mirabai Chanu, 26, lifted a total of 202 kg (87 kg + 115 kg) to improve.
- After Karnam Malleswari‘s bronze at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, Mirabai Chanu, of Manipur, won the country’s first silver medal and also wiped out the ghosts of 2016 with her medal in the world’s most prestigious sports arena.
- Her triumph was greeted with enthusiasm by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who tweeted: “I couldn’t have asked for a happier start with the tremendous performance of @mirabai_chanu. Kudos to her for winning media silver in weightlifting. Its success motivates all Indians.
- India with a strong contingent of 125, slightly larger than the Rio 2016 Olympics, will expect a few medals this time.
- The results of the first day were mixed for India, when shooters Saurabh Chaudhary, Deepika Kumari and Pravin Jadhav lost.
- Rowers Suthirtha Mukherjee and Manika Batra later advanced to the second round of the women’s singles, winning their respective first round matches, which again raised hopes for the country.
- This, after India’s hopes for a mixed doubles medal were dashed when Sharath Kamal and Manika Batra lost. Mukherjee has practically returned to the fight after losing 4-3, beating Sweden’s Linda Bergstrom.
Brazil cancels agreement with Bharat Biotech
Daily NEWS Summary | 24-07-2021; Brazil has suspended clinical studies of Bharat Biotech’s Covid-19 vaccine, Covaxin, following termination of the company’s agreement with its partner Precisa Medicamentos and Envixia Pharmaceuticals LL.C, said health regulator of the country.
- President Jair Bolsanaro has come under heavy criticism for clearing the deal even though Covaxin failed to secure regulatory clearance for the use of the vaccine in the country.
- The Brazilian government suspended its contract with Bharat Biotech on June 29. What followed was inevitable with Bharat Biotech’s announcement on Friday rescinding the memorandum of understanding it had signed with Precisa Medicamentos and Envixia Pharmaceuticals LL.C to produce and distribute the COVID-19 Covaxin vaccine for the Brazilian market.
- As this journal reports, “The coordination of clinical research of Anvisa (Copec / GGMED) determined this Friday (07/23/23) the preventive suspension of clinical studies of the Covaxin vaccine in Brazil. Result of a statement by Indian company Bharat Biotech Limited. International, sent to Anvisa on Friday (23/7), Anvisa, the Brazilian health regulator, “said on Friday.
- Precisa Medicamentos was the partner of Bharat Biotech in Brazil, providing assistance, advice and support for regulatory filings, licensing, distribution, insurance, and conduct of Phase III clinical trials, among others. Following allegations of corruption, the Brazilian government has temporarily suspended the order for Covaxin.
- On July 2, a Brazilian Supreme Court judge opened a criminal investigation into President Jair Bolsanaro’s role in the deal. The high prices of Covaxin, despite the lack of regulatory clearance, have refocused attention on the deal signed between the two, Bolsanaro and Bharat Biotech have denied any wrongdoing.
- Bharat Biotech developed Covaxin in collaboration with the Indian Council for Medical Research and the National Institute of Virology, which led the Indian government to present Covaxin as the first vaccine developed in the country against Covid-19, and also to participate to Vaccine Maitri, helping countries that could not afford to produce vaccines while ignoring national concerns.
Daily NEWS Summary | 24-07-2021 ; The Trinamool Congress Party (TMC) appointed former Prasar Bharati Corporation CEO Jawahar Sircar to Rajya Sabha to the post vacated by former party leader Dinesh Trivedi. Sircar, an IAS official, had also served as Secretary of Culture when the Congress-led UPA was in power.
- The party in a tweet said: “We are delighted to appoint Mr. @jawharsircar to the Upper House of Parliament. Mr. Sircar spent nearly 42 years in public service and was also the former CEO of Prasar Bharati. The service! It will help us serve our country better! ”
- Sircar also criticized the BJP government in the Center and never missed an opportunity to criticize the central government for its political failings, whether on Twitter or offline in his newspaper columns. Prasar Bharati, also colluded with the then Minister of Information and Broadcasting, Manish Tewari.
- Trivedi announced his resignation in the middle of the February budget session. Trivedi said he felt “suffocated” at the party. In reaction to his appointment,
- Sircar said: “I was a bureaucrat. I am not a political person, but I would work for the development of the people and raise issues relating to the masses in parliament, ”he said.
- With Sircar’s appointment, the TMC will also hope to have an IAS officer who not only knows the ways of the Delhi circle of power, but will hopefully also make meaningful interventions in the House of Elders.
Daily NEWS Summary | 24-07-2021 ; The rains continued to hit Maharashtra, bringing chaos and destruction in its wake. At the time of writing, at least 152 people have died in landslides and torrential rains and more than 60,000 people have been rescued.
- On Saturday, the national highways connecting Mumbai to Goa and Bangalore were blocked for traffic as water flowed down the roads. The rains are unlikely to loosen their grip on the state, and the IMD predicts more rain in the coming days. The worst affected districts are Raigad, Ratnagiri, Sindhudurg on the Konkan coast, Satara and Kolhapur in western Maharashtra.
Covid Updates: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India was 3,13,35,261 at the time of this bulletin, with a death toll of 4,20,090.