Parliament does not function for the fourth consecutive day
Daily NEWS Summary | 23-07-2021; Parliament did not function for the fourth day in a row following protests from opposition parties on issues ranging from the Pegasus controversy to the agitation of farmers.
- In Rajya Sabha, Trinamool Congressman Shantanu Sen was suspended for the remainder of the monsoon session for snatching and scamming the statement on Pegasus that the Minister of Electronics and Information Technology ( MEITy) Ashwini Vaishnaw was reading. The motion for its suspension was moved by Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs V Muraleedharan and was approved by oral vote.
- Opposition parties protested the move, saying they had not been given a chance to respond.
- TMC MPs Derek O’Brien and Sukendu Sekhar Ray said the member in question should have been given an opportunity to speak.
- O’Brien also noted that after the house was built on Thursday, Sen was mistreated. “We have seen rude behavior and vandalism in this house,” he said. In response, President Venkaiah Naidu said he had not been briefed on this.
- Meanwhile, Congress Whip Jairam Ramesh has asked President Naidu to authorize clarification on the statement on Pegasus made by Minister of Informatics Mr. Vaishnaw. Naidu asked Sen to leave the house, but he continued to sit in his seat.
- The house was handed over at noon. The upper room rose three times at 12 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. because despite multiple calls from the vice-president, Sen did not leave the house. Sen, in fact, remained seated inside the house even after the postponements.
- His photo was distributed through all the front doors of the house with instructions to the bailiffs not to allow him to enter. The agreement states that business transactions cannot be carried out until the suspended member is removed from the household.
- Earlier in the day, Rajya chairman Sabha Naidu berated the house for the disturbances that had arisen over the past three days. “The debatable question is who would benefit from a dysfunctional parliament? Certainly not the country and its people, ”Naidu said. The only deal that has been negotiated in the past three days, he said, was a debate over Covid-19.
- House proceedings reached a new low when papers were torn from the minister, shredded and tossed in the air. Such actions are a clear attack on our parliamentary democracy, he added.
- Lok Sabha was suspended twice on Friday due to ongoing protests from opposition parties on issues ranging from the “Pegasus” controversy to the agitation of farmers.
NSCS budget allocation increased tenfold in 2017-2018, according to Prashant Bhushan
Daily NEWS Summary | 23-07-2021 ; The budget allocation for the National Security Council Secretariat (NSCS) has increased tenfold from 33.17 crore in 2016-17 to 333.58 crore in 2017-18, the lawyer said Prashant Bhushan. He claimed that was the year that the Israeli group NSO, which developed the Pegasus spyware, received hundreds of millions of rupees for spying on the phones of various prominent people.
- He tweeted: “In 2016-17, the NSA budget was ₹ 33.17 crore. Next year the budget was multiplied by 10 to reach Rs 333 crore as 300 crore was added under the new one. heading “I + D for Cybersecurity”. This is the year NSO received hundreds of Crs for hacking from Opps, Journos, Judges, EC, Activists using Pegasus! Wow. “
- Through the NSA, Bhushan appears to appoint the National Security Advisor, whose budget depends on the Secretariat of the National Security Council (NSCS).
- Based on the expenditure budget statements for the relevant years, the allocation for the NSCS initially increased 10 times in 2017-18, but the actual expenditure was less than double the previous year.
- However, in the following fiscal year, ahead of the general election in May 2019, NSCS spending increased more than 13 times from 2017-18 levels, reaching over Rs 800 million.
- The allocation for 2016-17 was actually 33.17 million rupees, which was later revised to 81.03 million rupees. However, the actual expenditure was Rs 39.09 crore.
- In 2017-18, the allocation increased to 333,333.58 crore, but revised estimates place the likely spending at ₹ 168 crore. The actual expenditure was 61.18 crore.
- It was not until 2018-19 that actual spending on this front increased significantly. That year, 303.83 crore was allocated to cover “administrative expenses”.
- However, the revised estimates presented later were much higher at ₹ 841.73 crore.
- While the original budget allocation was for revenue expenses, according to revised estimates, only Rs 125.84 million was for revenue expenses, with the balance of Rs 715.89 million reflected as capital expenditures.
- Actual spending for 2018-2019 was Rs 812.32 crore with the proposed investment portion fully spent, while revenue spending was less than Rs 96.43 crore.
- Opposition parties have called for an independent investigation into the alleged use of Pegasus software to spy on ministers, politicians and journalists.
At least 60 killed in rain in western Maharashtra
Daily NEWS Summary | 23-07-2021 ; At least 60 people were killed in landslides triggered by heavy rains in western Maharashtra and the coastal Konkan region as monsoon fury continued unabated in the region on Friday.
- While the state as a whole, including the normally arid regions of Marathwada and Vidarbha, received particularly heavy rains over the past 72 hours, the situation remained particularly bleak in the Mahad and Poladpur tehsils in Raigad, Chiplun and Khed in Ratnagiri. as well as the “sugar belt” districts of Kolhapur, Satara and Sangli.
- 49 of the dead died in three separate landslides in Raigad itself. Tragedy struck the village of Taliye in Mahad on Thursday night when the entire village of around 35 houses was instantly buried in a large landslide in an incident very reminiscent of the 2014 Malin landslide in Pune.
- Although exact casualty figures have not been confirmed, authorities have so far said that more than 35 bodies have been recovered from the rubble, while more than 70 people are missing. Other sources said 38 bodies had been recovered so far.
- Local populations were the first to respond, as heavy rains, congestion, and disruption of connectivity delayed national and state disaster response teams (NDRF and SDRF). Rescue teams struggled to clear rocks and damaged roads to reach the village.
- The rescue operations in Taliye had to be canceled after 6 p.m. due to poor visibility aggravated by increased rainfall.
The road ahead is more intimidating than the 1991 crisis: Manmohan Singh
Daily NEWS Summary | 23-07-2021; The economic reforms of 1991 lifted millions out of poverty, unleashed the spirit of free enterprise, and catapulted India into a $ 3 trillion economy, but the road ahead is even more daunting than the crisis. 1991, former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh said today.
- To mark the 30th anniversary of the economic liberalization and opening of the Indian economy on July 24, Dr. Singh issued a statement recalling the achievements but expressing regret at the devastation caused by the COVID- 19 pandemic and loss of life and livelihoods.
- The country must recalibrate its priorities for a dignified life for all indigenous people, he said.
- It gives us immense joy to look back with pride at the tremendous economic progress our country has made in the last three decades. But I am also deeply saddened by the devastation caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and the loss of millions of fellow Indians. The social sectors of health and education have lagged behind and have not kept pace with our economic progress. Too many lives and livelihoods have been lost that should not have been lost, said Dr. Singh.
- Now is not the time to rejoice and rejoice, but to introspect and meditate. The road ahead is even more daunting than during the 1991 crisis. Our priorities as a nation must be recalibrated to guarantee, above all, a healthy and dignified life for all indigenous people, ”he added.
Tokyo Olympics Kick Off With No-frills Opening Ceremony
Daily NEWS Summary | 23-07-2021; Sky above Tokyo National Stadium exploded in indigo and white as fireworks marked the start of the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony on Friday, celebrating the world’s best athletes who will compete in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Postponed for a year, organizers have been forced to take the unprecedented step of holding the Games without fans, as the new coronavirus is on the rise again, killing people around the world.
- Even the opening ceremony, normally a star-studded and celebrity-studded exhibit, was eerily quiet, with fewer than 1,000 people in attendance, strict social distancing rules and signs asking viewers to “stay quiet in place.”
- Japan had heralded the Olympics as an echo of the 1964 Tokyo Games, which marked the country’s return to the world stage after its devastating defeat in World War II, but this time showing its recovery from the earthquake the tsunami and the nuclear crisis of 2011.
- But hundreds of demonstrators carrying banners bearing the inscription “Lives over the Olympics” protested around the site. The protesters, a mix of people wearing white surgical masks, shouted “Stop the Olympics” as they marched.
- The opening ceremony will be marked by high-profile absences, including former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who courted the Games in Tokyo. Several major sponsors and business leaders will also stay on the sidelines, underlining strong opposition to sporting extravagance in COVID-tired Japan.
- Only a third of the nation has received a single dose of the vaccine, raising fears the Games will become a full-scale event. More than 100 people involved in the Olympics have already tested positive. The Olympics have been hit by a series of scandals, including the dismissal of senior officials for derogatory remarks about women, Holocaust jokes and intimidation. The Games will last until August 8.
Covid Updates: The number of coronavirus cases reported in India was 3,12, 91,743 at the time of publication of this bulletin, with a death toll of 4,19,505.