Kanwar Yatra’s decision after discussions with neighboring states: Uttarakhand CM
Daily NEWS Summary | 11-07-2021; Any decision to authorize the Kanwar Yatra this year will be made after discussions with neighboring states, Uttarakhand’s new Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami said after the weekend’s consultations with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Home Minister Amit Shah. A senior official in CM’s office confirmed that he had also consulted with Yogi Adityanath, his counterpart in Uttar Pradesh.
- However, among doctors on the ground in Uttarakhand, it is recognized that the authorization of the Kanwar Yatra could lead to a further spread of Covid-19 cases and greater challenges in managing the pandemic.
- Uttarakhand is reconsidering its earlier decision to cancel the yatra, following the U.P. the government’s announcement that the pilgrimage will begin on July 25, despite fears that it could turn into another COVID super-spreader event like the Kumbh Mela earlier this year.
- The Kanwar Yatra is an annual monsoon pilgrimage of millions of Shiva devotees, mainly from the northern states of UP, Haryana, Delhi, Madhya Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh, who travel more than 100 km to fetch water from the Ganges, mainly during the Haridwar, Gaumukh and Gangotri pilgrimage sites in Uttarakhand.
- Given the religious sentiments and health concerns involved, the decision to cancel the yatra again has political ramifications, especially since the U.P. and Uttarakhand will go to the polls next year.
- Another great pilgrimage, the Char Dham yatra, has been suspended by the Uttarakhand High Court, an order that the state government is now challenging in the Supreme Court.
Chinese show banners to Indian villagers celebrating Dalai Lama’s birthday
Daily NEWS Summary | 11-07-2021; Chinese citizens displayed banners in protest across the Indus River near the Line of Actual Control (LAC) as Indian villagers celebrated the Dalai Lama’s birthday in Demcok, eastern Ladakh.
- According to Urgain Tsewang, head of the village of Koyul (Kakjung), one of the last settlements in the Demchok sector, the Chinese, made up of soldiers and civilians, arrived in five vehicles on unpaved roads and raised the banners 200 meters from a community center, where the Dalai Lama’s birthday was celebrated.
- The incident occurred around 11 a.m. July 6 at Dola Tamgo in the village of Koyul along the Indus River.
- Videos shared by Tsewang showed a group of men holding a long red banner with words. They are also seen carrying the Chinese flag. When contacted, the army authorities chose not to comment on the Chinese action. Mr. Tsewang said that 10 days ago, the Chinese also protested when locals installed a solar pump.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi greeted the Dalai Lama in a phone call on his 86th birthday last Tuesday. This is the first time Modi has publicly confirmed speaking to the Dalai Lama since he took office as Prime Minister in 2014.
- The events come against the backdrop of a persistent stalemate in multi-level talks to resolve the ongoing military standoff in eastern Ladakh.
- While the first phase of disconnection at Pangong Tso was completed in February, efforts to find an agreement for the second phase of disconnection at Gogra and Hot Springs were delayed. Other areas of friction remain in Demchok and Depsang.
- A similar incident also occurred in the region in 2019. In July 2019, as villagers held a local festival to celebrate the Dalai Lama’s birthday, at least 11 Chinese men in civilian clothes approached the LAC and walked away. across the river they said: “Ban all activity aimed at dividing Tibet.” The LAKE of the region runs along the Indus River.
Adityanath launches the UP population policy for 2021-2030
Daily NEWS Summary | 11-07-2021; Minister Yogi Adityanath as head of Uttar Pradesh, who launched the state demographic policy for 2021-2030, declaring that the opening of the population was at the root of major problems and the inequalities that prevail in society.
“Population growth can be an obstacle to development,”he said, saying the new policy was written with all sectors of society in mind.
- The new policy aims to reduce the total fertility rate from 2.7 to 2.1 by 2026, and to 1.7 by 2030.
- It also aims to increase the modern contraceptive prevalence rate from 31.7 45 by 2026 and 52 by 2030; increase the use of male contraceptive methods from 10.8 to 15.1 by 2026 and 16.4 by 2030; Reduce the maternal mortality rate from 197 to 150 to 98 and the infant mortality rate from 43 to 32 to 22 and the infant mortality rate under 5 years from 47 to 35 to 25.
- In order to stabilize the population, the draft policy also provided that the state would strive to maintain a demographic balance between the different communities.
- Awareness-raising and large-scale programs would be carried out among communities, executives and geographic areas that have a higher fertility rate, the policy said.
- The policy comes at a time when the Uttar Pradesh State Law Commission has prepared a population control bill, under which a two-child rule would be implemented and promoted.
- A person who has more than two children after the law comes into force will not be able to enjoy various benefits, such as government-sponsored social assistance schemes, ration card units will be limited to four, and the no one will be able to participate in the elections for local authority. or any local self-government body, indicates the project.
- The person who breaks the law will also cease to be eligible for government positions under the state government, will not be able to advance in government services and will not receive any type of grant. The arrangements would take effect one year after the bulletin’s publication date, the draft said.
Billionaire Richard Branson takes off for high-altitude launch into space a week before his 71st birthday
Daily NEWS Summary | 11-07-2021; A twin-fuselage plane took off on Sunday with a Virgin Galactic rocket set to fly over the New Mexico desert over 50 miles with British billionaire Richard Branson on board for the vehicle’s first fully manned test flight in space, Reuters reported.
- Branson, one of six Virgin Galactic Holding Inc employees preparing for the flight, touted the mission as heralding a new era in space tourism, with the company he founded to begin commercial operations in the year next.
- Sunday’s high-altitude launch of the VSS Unity rocket plane marks the company’s twenty-second test flight of its SpaceShipTwo system and its fourth manned mission beyond Earth’s atmosphere. It is also the first to carry a full complement of space travelers: two pilots and four “mission specialists”, including Branson.
- Less than a week after his 71st birthday, Branson and his teammates marched the runway at Spaceport America in New Mexico, waving to crowds of spectators before boarding the waiting Unity rocket plane, parked at the end. of a traffic lane.
- A video posted online by Virgin Galactic showed Branson arriving at the spaceport on his bike and greeting his teammates with a hug.
- A festive gathering of space industry executives, potential customers and other supporters were on hand to attend the launch event, which was broadcast live in a presentation hosted by the late night TV host Stephen Colbert.
- Among those in attendance was fellow billionaire and space industry pioneer Elon Musk, who is also the founder of electric car maker Tesla Inc.
- Separating from the mothership when it reaches an altitude of 50,000 feet, Unity’s rocket engine will ignite to send the spacecraft into the darkness of space about 88.5 km above. from sea level, where the crew will live for some four minutes. of microgravity.
- With the engine off near the peak of its ascent, the spacecraft will enter reentry mode before returning to a runway at the spaceport. The complete flight, from takeoff to landing, would take approximately 90 minutes.
- Assuming the mission goes well, Virgin plans two more test flights of the spacecraft in the coming months before starting regular commercial operation in 2022.
- It is not a discounted travel service. But demand is apparently strong, with several hundred wealthy aspiring astronauts already booked, priced at around $ 250,000 per ticket.
- Swiss investment bank UBS has estimated that the potential value of the space tourism market will reach $ 3 billion per year by 2030.
Covid Updates: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India stood at 3,08,68,116 at the time of publication of this bulletin, with the death toll at 4,08,6