COVID-19 resurgence ‘speculative’ still, government tells Supreme Court
Daily NEWS Summary | 27-06-2021; The possibility of a resurgence of the Covid-19 infection is “speculative” and will depend on the “behavior” of citizens and the virus, the health ministry told the Supreme Court.
“The possibility of such a resurgence would necessarily be speculative at this point. However, the possibility of a resurgence would depend on the behavior of the virus and the behavior of citizens, whether or not they follow appropriate behavior for COVID-19, “the ministry said.
- The government said there is no “global scientific evidence” that the virus targets children.
- Although there is no global scientific evidence that the virus has been selected to affect a particular age group, the central government has ensured that all state governments are prepared to deal with a potential threat to children, affidavit filed through the Supplemental Attorney General Aishwarya Bhati Indicated.
- The government said it has received many requests for home vaccination, especially for the elderly and disabled. However, several “valid and relevant reasons” oppose this.
- These range from the risk of high vaccine waste to the “longer time” required to visit beneficiaries.
- Other reasons include appropriate treatment of post-vaccination adverse events (AEFI) at home, observance of the 30-minute post-vaccination protocol, interruption of the vaccine cold chain due to frequent carrier opening of the vaccine in each outbreak, the risk to vaccinators.
- Regarding the vaccination of children under the age of 18, the Center said that to date, “companies that manufacture COVID-19 vaccines in India have only received an” emergency use authorization “to vaccinate persons aged 18 or Therefore, COVID-19 vaccines are not recommended for people / children under 18 years of age because the cohort of clinical trials in phases 1, 2 and 3 did not cover children under 18 ”.
- However, the government informed the court that on May 12, India’s Comptroller General of Medicines authorized Bharat Biotech to conduct clinical trials on healthy volunteers aged two to 18 years for its vaccine, Covaxin. “The registration process for this lawsuit has also begun,” the affidavit reads.
- The Center said states have been advised to maintain “continuous vigilance” and plan ahead for any requirements that may arise due to the resurgence of the pandemic.
- Communications were regularly sent to the States on the current trajectory of the cases, the need to respect the “Test-Follow-up-Treatment” policy to contain epidemics, etc.
- Districts with high caseloads were specifically reviewed and invited to submit their district COVID-19 management action plan, according to the affidavit.
- He said the empowered groups were reconstituted on May 29.
- These groups include those on emergency management plan and strategy, emergency response capabilities, human resource augmentation and capacity building, oxygen, immunization, testing, partnership, information, communication and public participation, economic welfare measures and response and coordination against pandemics.
- The Health Ministry said that as of June 25, more than 31 million million vaccines had been administered throughout the country.
- Of this total, 7 84 373 353 doses were administered to persons between 18 and 44 years of age. A total of 27.3% of the eligible population (18 years and older) had received a dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, the government said.
Two staff members injured in two blasts at IAF Jammu station
Daily NEWS Summary | 27-06-2021; In a terrorist attack, two low-intensity blasts injured two members of the Indian Air Force (IAF) on Sunday at the Jammu air force station. The devices are believed to have been dropped and detonated by unmanned aerial vehicles.
“Two low-intensity explosions were reported in the technical area of Jammu Air Force Station. One caused minor damage to the roof of a building while the other exploded in an open area. No equipment was damaged. An investigation is underway, ”said an IAF spokesperson.
- The sound of explosions was heard from inside the station around 1:40 a.m. and detonated six minutes apart. Two IAF staff members suffered minor injuries, authorities said.
- The Jammu Air Force High Security Station is a technical airport and houses only helicopters and transport planes. The attackers may have used the drone near the airbase as these vehicles have limited range, authorities said.
- Chief of the IAF, Air Chief Marshal R.K.S. Bhadauria, who is on an official trip to Bangladesh, is monitoring the situation from there, authorities said.
- Earlier this year, the Border Security Forces (BSF) foiled some attempts to drop weapons using drones on this side of the international border in Jammu’s Samba and Kathua Belt.
- There have been warnings that terrorist groups based in Pakistan may attempt to attack military bases with drones. Following the drone attack on Saudi Aramco’s oil facilities in eastern Saudi Arabia in September 2019, the armed forces deliberated on the matter and put in place plans to acquire counter capabilities. drone.
- The Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has developed short-range anti-drone technology that was deployed for the safety of the Prime Minister during the Independence Day speech last August.
- Last December, Navy Chief Admiral Karambir Singh said the Navy was in the process of acquiring Smash-2000 rifles to counter drones, among other measures.
Twitter’s complaints office for India resigns
Daily NEWS Summary | 27-06-2021; Twitter‘s acting resident claims officer for India has resigned, leaving the microblogging site without a claims officer, as required by new IT rules for handling complaints from Indian subscribers, according to a source.
- The source said that Dharmendra Chatur, who was recently appointed as Acting Resident Complaints Officer in India via Twitter, has resigned from his post.
- The social media company’s website no longer displays its name, as required by Information Technology Standards 2021 (Guidelines for Intermediaries and Code of Ethics for Digital Media).
- Twitter declined to comment on the development.
- The development comes at a time when the microblogging platform faces a dispute with the Indian government over new social media rules.
- The government criticized Twitter for deliberately defying and breaking the country’s new IT rules.
- The new rules that came into effect on May 25 require social media companies to establish a recourse mechanism to resolve complaints from users or victims.
- All major social media companies, with a user base of over 50 lakh, will need to designate a complaints manager to handle these complaints and share the names and contact details of those responsible.
- Large social media companies are mandated to appoint a compliance officer, a nodal contact person and a resident complaints officer. All must be residents of India.
- Twitter, in response to the government’s final notice on June 5, said it intended to comply with the new IT rules and will share details of the compliance officer.
- Meanwhile, the microblogging platform had appointed Chatur as the Acting Resident Complaints Officer in India.
- Twitter now displays the company name in the Indian Complaints Officer space along with a US address and email id.
- According to a government official, the company has lost legal protection as an intermediary and will be legally responsible for any content posted by its users on the platform.
UK Ministry of Defense classified documents found at bus stop, report says
Daily NEWS Summary | 27-06-2021; Classified documents from the British Ministry of Defense (MoD) containing secret information about a warship and the British army were discovered at a bus stop in the south-east of England, according to a published press article Sunday.
- The Defense Ministry said an employee reported the loss of the documents last week, which were discovered by a member of the public in a soggy pile behind a bus stop in Kent early Tuesday morning, according to the report by the BBC.
- One set of documents would discuss the likely Russian reaction to the passage of HMS Defender through Ukrainian waters off the coast of Crimea on Wednesday and another would outline plans for a possible British military presence in Afghanistan after the end of the operation.
- NATO led by the United States this year. A member of the public, who wishes to remain anonymous, found the roughly fifty pages of documents and contacted the BBC when he realized the sensitive nature of the content.
- BBC believes that the documents, which include emails and PowerPoint presentations, come from the office of a senior Defense Ministry official.
- Documents related to the Royal Navy Type 45 destroyer, HMS Defender, show that a mission described by the Defense Ministry as an “innocent passage through the territorial waters of Ukraine”, with the guns covered and the ship’s helicopter stowed in its hangar, was carried out with the expectation that Russia will react aggressively.
- On Wednesday, more than 20 Russian aircraft and two coast guard ships followed the warship as it sailed about 12 miles off the Crimean coast.
- Moscow Defense Ministry said a patrol boat fired warning shots and a jet plane dropped bombs in the path of the destroyer, but the British government dismissed this version, denying that warning shots had been fired.
- The mission, dubbed “Op Ditroite,” was the subject of high-level discussions until Monday, according to the documents, with officials speculating about Russia’s reaction if HMS Defender sailed near Crimea.
- The document package also includes updates on arms export campaigns, including sensitive observations on areas in which Britain could compete with its European allies. And there are briefing notes for the UK-US session last Monday.
- Defense dialogue, including remarks on US President Joe Biden’s first months in office.
- Most documents are marked “officially sensitive”, a relatively low level of classification used, according to the government, “where there is a clear and justifiable requirement to reinforce the” need to know. “
- But a document, addressed to the private secretary of British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace, and entitled “Secret UK Eyes Only”, presents highly sensitive recommendations on the UK’s military footprint in Afghanistan, once the operation is over.
- Resolute Support, the NATO operation currently underway following President Joe Biden’s decision earlier this year to withdraw US forces.
- The document deals with an American request for British assistance in several specific areas and addresses whether any British special forces will remain in Afghanistan after the withdrawal is complete.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday urged the country to shed its vacillation over vaccines and get vaccinated soon, and to rely on science and scientists to address the COVID-19 threat that still remains with us.
- More than 31 million Indians have been vaccinated. I took both doses. My mother, who is almost 100 years old, also took it.
- Trust science, not hearsay, and trust our scientists, ”he said in his Mann Ki Baat speech.
Covid Updates: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India stood at 3,02,7 2,529 at the time of publication of this bulletin, with a death toll of 3,966,663.