14 J&K leaders Invited to Meet Prime Minister in Delhi to Discuss Future
Daily NEWS Summary | 19-06-2021; 14 leaders from Jammu and Kashmir, including four former chief ministers of the former state, were invited to a meeting to be chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi on June 24, the official announced today.
- Union Home Secretary Ajay Bhalla has contacted these leaders to invite them to the meeting at the prime minister’s residence to discuss the future course of action for the Union territory.
- Among the guests are four former chief ministers: Farooq Abdullah and his son Omar Abdullah of the National Conference, the top leader of Congress, Ghulam Nabi Azad, and the leader of the PDP, Mehbooba Mufti.
- Four former deputy chief ministers of the former state: Congresswoman Tara Chand, People’s Conference leader Muzaffar Hussain Baig and BJP leaders Nirmal Singh and Kavinder Gupta, were also invited to the meeting.
- In addition, CPI (M) leader Mohammed Yusuf Tarigami, Jammu and Kashmir Apni Party (JKAP) leader Altaf Bukhari, People’s Conference Sajjad Lone, Congress leader JK GA Mir, BJP Ravidner Raina and leader from the Panthers Party Bhim Singh were invited.
- The meeting, the first exercise of its kind since the Center announced the abrogation of the special status of Jammu and Kashmir and its bifurcation into Union territories in August 2019, is expected to bring together the Union Home Minister, Amit Shah, and other central leaders.
Post-Election violence in West Bengal: HC asks NHRC to form panel
Daily NEWS Summary | 19-06-2021; The Calcutta High Court has urged the chairman of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) to set up a committee to examine allegations of political violence in West Bengal.
- A five-judge bench ordered the committee to review all cases and, perhaps by visiting the affected areas, submit to that tribunal a full report on the current situation.
- He asked the committee to suggest measures to be taken to ensure the confidence of the people that they can live peacefully in their homes and also exercise their profession or business for a living.
- The court order issued on June 18 said: “We must report the prima facie culprits of the crime and the agents who have kept a calculated silence on the case. “
- In the 12-page order, the tribunal comprised of Provisional Tribunal President Rajesh Bindal, Judges IP Mukerji, Harish Tandon, Soumen Sen and Subrata Talukdar said the state had denied the allegations of political violence from the start, but that the recorded facts were different.
“In our view, this affidavit and cross-affidavit exercise will continue. This may not get us anywhere because the state, from the start, had denied everything, but the facts that were recorded by the petitioners and also the little that emerges from the report dated June 3, 2021 presented by members of the Los Secretary of the West Bengal State Legal Services Authority is different, ”the order says.
- The court noted that against some of the complaints compiled by the West Bengal State Legal Services Authority (WBSLSA), the observations were that no response had been received from the authority in question. The state cannot be allowed to act as it sees fit.
“In a case such as the one alleging that the lives and property of state residents are in danger due to alleged post-election violence, the state cannot be allowed to proceed as it wishes.
The complaints required immediate action. But one way or another, based on the facts available on the record and which the petitioners intend to project, such action is missing.
It is the duty of the state to maintain law and order in the state and to instill confidence in the residents of the state, ”said the ordinance.
- The member-secretary of WBSLSA, as well as a member and representative of the National Human Rights Commission would serve on the NHRC committee.
- The court ordered the state to provide all logistical support to the committee where and when it wanted to visit any location. The case will go to a hearing on June 30.
SC reports more than a year delay in submitting bond applications to Punjab and Haryana High Court
Daily NEWS Summary | 19-06-2021; A ‘shocked’ Supreme Court found that a bail application had not even been filed for a hearing for over a year before the Punjab and Haryana High Court, this also at a time when the judiciary goes the extra mile to hear cases virtually.
- A bench of vacancies of judges Hemant Gupta and V. Ramasubramanian pointed out that “the refusal of a hearing is a violation of the rights and freedom guaranteed to a defendant.”
- The highest court said that it does not normally intervene in the operation of the Superior Courts, but in this case it was “forced” to take note of the delay in hearing the request for bail.
- Even during the pandemic, when all courts are trying to hear and decide all cases, failure to register a request for bail is against the administration of justice, the judiciary said in a recent ordinance.
- The court heard a request for special authorization submitted in a case from the Directorate of Enforcement.
- In the context of the prevailing pandemic, at least half of the judges must sit down every other day for a hearing to be granted to the person in distress.
- Failure to register a request for bail, regardless of the seriousness or absence of seriousness, of the crimes charged to the accused, threatens the freedom of the detainee, the Supreme Court observed.
- The judiciary said it hopes the High Court can “process the request for bail at an early date so that the defendant’s right to hear his request for bail is not withdrawn.”
Kulbhushan Jadhav case: India “distorts” ICJ verdict, according to Pakistan
Daily NEWS Summary | 19-06-2021; Pakistan on Saturday accused India of having “distorted” the International Court of Justice (ICJ) verdict in the Kulbhushan Jadhav case and said it was ready to fulfill all its obligations under international law.
- India asked Pakistan on Thursday to correct “loopholes” in a bill submitted to facilitate the review of Jadhav’s case, saying the proposed law does not create a mechanism to review it as required by the ICJ.
- Foreign Ministry spokesman Arindam Bagchi in New Delhi said the 2020 Review and Reconsideration Bill does not create a mechanism to facilitate an effective review and reconsideration of the Jadhav case, as required by the ICJ ruling.
- He added that municipal courts cannot be the arbiter of whether a state has fulfilled its obligations under international law.
- Jadhav, a 51-year-old retired Indian naval officer, was sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court on charges of espionage and terrorism in April 2017.
- The Hague-based ICJ ruled in July 2019 that Pakistan must conduct an “effective review and review” of Jadhav’s conviction and sentence and also grant consular access to India without further delay.
- Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry (FO) said on Saturday that Islamabad is complying with all its international obligations, and this applies to the ICJ ruling in the Jadhav case.
“It is regrettable that the Indian government has chosen to distort the ICJ judgment which clearly states in paragraph 147 that Pakistan has an obligation to provide, through its own choice, an effective review and reconsideration of Jadhav’s conviction and sentence, ”Said the FO.
- Pursuant to paragraph 146 of the ICJ Judgment, Pakistan decided to grant Jadhav the right of review and reconsideration by the higher courts of Pakistan through the ICJ Order (Review and Reconsideration) of 2020, it stated.
- Pakistan’s commitment to uphold the ICJ judgment has again resulted in the passage of the ICJ (Review and Reconsideration) Bill for review by the National Assembly of Pakistan, he said.
- The FO said that the ICJ ruling in paragraph 118 also requires India to act in good faith and organize legal representation for Jadhav.
- “Unfortunately, India has embarked on a deliberate campaign to hide the issue of the appointment of a lawyer,” he alleged, adding that Pakistan had to initiate proceedings in the Islamabad High Court to ask the court to appoint a lawyer for Jadhav.
- He said the court has repeatedly urged India to clarify its position and appoint a lawyer, but “continues to deliberately politicize the matter.”
Die-hard judicial leader Ebrahim Raisi wins Iranian presidency
Daily NEWS Summary | 19-06-2021; Iranian radical justice won the country’s presidential election with a landslide victory on June 19, propelling the supreme leader’s protege to Tehran’s highest civilian post in a vote that appeared to have the lowest turnout in the world. history of the Islamic Republic.
- Early results showed Ebrahim Raisi won 17.8 million votes in the contest, eclipsing that of the only moderate contender in the race.
- However, Raisi only dominated the election after a panel under the supervision of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei disqualified his biggest competitor.
- His candidacy, and the feeling that the election served instead as a crowning achievement for him, sparked widespread apathy among eligible voters in the Islamic Republic, which has maintained participation as a sign of support for the theocracy since its 1979 Islamic Revolution.
- Some, including former intransigent President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad called for a boycott.
- In the first results, former Revolutionary Guard commander Mohsen Rezaei won 3.3 million votes and moderate Abdolnasser Hemmati 2.4 million, said Jamal Orf, head of the electoral headquarters of the Iranian ministry of the Interior.
- The fourth candidate in the race, Amirhossein Ghazizadeh Hashemi, got around 1 million votes, Orf said.
- Hemmati sent his congratulations on Instagram to Raisi in early June. “I hope your administration will make the Islamic Republic of Iran proud, improve the economy and life with comfort and well-being for the great Iranian nation,” he wrote.
- The swift concession, while not unusual in previous Iranian elections, signaled what semi-official news agencies in Iran had been hinting at for hours: that the carefully controlled vote had been a resounding victory for Raisi amid appeals. to boycott.
- Raisi is the first sitting Iranian president to be sanctioned by the United States government even before taking office for his role in the mass execution of political prisoners in 1988, as well as for his tenure as head of justice Iranian, internationally criticized, one of the main executioners in the world.
- His election will put hard-line supporters across the government as talks in Vienna continue to try to salvage a tattered deal to limit Iran’s nuclear program at a time when Tehran is enriching uranium to its highest level level, although it is still brief. weapon rank levels.
- Tensions remain high with the United States and Israel, which reportedly carried out a series of attacks on Iranian nuclear sites and assassinated the scientist who created his military atomic program decades earlier.
Daily NEWS Summary | 19-06-2021; The number of coronavirus cases reported in India stood at 2,98,52,966 at the time of publication of this bulletin, with the death toll at 3,85,767.
If the appropriate behavior of Covid is not followed and overcrowding is not avoided, the next wave of viral infection could strike the country in the next six to eight weeks, the AIIMS director warned on Saturday, Randeep Guleria.
- Until a substantial number of the population is vaccinated, appropriate Covid behavior should be aggressively monitored, he said, stressing the need for tighter surveillance and area-specific closures in the event of a significant increase.
- Guleria reiterated that so far there is no evidence to suggest that children will be more affected in the next wave of infection.
- Previously, Indian epidemiologists had indicated that a third wave of Covid-19 was inevitable and would likely start between September and October.
There must be an aggressive surveillance strategy in Covid hotspots and closures if there is a significant increase.
- As soon as a significant increase in cases is observed in a particular area and the positivity rate exceeds 5%, area-specific lockdown and containment measures should be implemented, he said.
- However, a national blockade cannot be a solution (to stop the pandemic) given the economic activity, he added.