Minor clash with Chinese troops in the Galwan Valley
Daily NEWS Summary | 23-05-2021; There was a small clash between Indian and Chinese troops in the Galwan Valley non-patrol zone in eastern Ladakh during the first week of May, a senior government official told. However, there was no clash and the two sides quickly broke up.
- A non-patrol zone spanning approximately 3 kilometers, approximately 1.5 km each, on either side of the crash site near the Y-junction of the Galwan Valley, was created after the June 15, 2020 when 20 members of the Indian army died in violent clashes with the Chinese. Then, a 30-day moratorium was also applied to foot patrols. It was not known if he had been released.
“After the creation of the no-patrol zones last year, both sides sometimes do reconnaissance to see if the other side has crossed the line. Patrols are distributed at different times. That day, Indian and Chinese patrols arrived in the area at the same time, a small confrontation occurred but they returned quickly, ”the official said.
- The official added that China still had camps beyond the no-patrol zone and that there had been no reduction in troop deployment since last year. The official explained that the two sides send periodic patrols “on suspicion”.
- It should be remembered that prior to April-May 2020, when China accumulated troops in a particular location in Galwan, claiming it was Chinese territory, Indian troops regularly patrolled the area that would be in India’s perception of Line of Actual Control (LAC).
- Previously, the China People’s Liberation Army (PLA) would patrol and go out, but from April to May 2020, it established a permanent presence within 600 to 800 meters of India’s perception of the LAC.
- On February 11, Defense Minister Rajnath Singh informed both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha that India and China had reached a disengagement agreement in the Lake Pangong region to end their forward deployments of in a “phased, coordinated and verified” manner, which “Restore before April 2020.
- Since April 2020, Chinese troops have prevented Indian troops from reaching at least 10 patrol points (PP), from the plains of Depsang in the north to Pangong Tso (lake) in the south in eastern Ladakh. In total, there are more than 65 PP from the Karakoram base in Chumar.
- India and China have so far held 11 rounds of talks after last year’s clashes.
- While troops have partially retreated to the northern and southern shores of Pangong Tso, there has not yet been a gradual withdrawal from the other friction areas in eastern Ladakh: Gogra, Hot Springs, Depsang and Demchok. .India to push for Covaxin recognition by WHO and EU
India wants Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin to get World Health Organization approval without delay
Daily NEWS Summary | 23-05-2021; Sources said high-level diplomats from the Foreign Ministry are studying the issue to ensure WHO and EU recognition of the indigenous vaccine, which is one of the doses chosen by the Indian government.
- Ministry sources, however, did not confirm that Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla would meet with Bharat Biotech officials on Monday, but stressed that they are focusing on securing WHO “clearance” for Covaxin.
- The WHO has recognized several vaccines from manufacturers such as Oxford AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna, allowing vaccine manufacturers to export doses worldwide.
- Apart from that, vaccine recipients can also take international air travel.
- Covaxin has been delivered to a large number of Indian citizens and more Indian citizens are expected to be delivered in the coming days.
- WHO also authorized the Chinese Sinopharm vaccine that China exported to various countries around the world.
- But without the necessary approval from WHO, recipients of the Indian vaccine cannot be considered for air travel abroad.
- The source also said that a separate process to get approval from the European Union “may take longer,” but that is also on the agenda.
- The dual recognition will contribute to scientific research and collaboration between Indian and foreign vaccine producers and help citizens to travel smoothly.
- Bharat Biotech, maker of Covaxin, has signed agreements with pharmaceutical companies in Brazil and the United States where the vaccine will be co-produced or exported, but the lack of approval from the WHO and other multilateral organizations creates problems.
Moderna refuses to sell vaccines directly to Punjab
Daily NEWS Summary | 23-05-2021; Punjab government said on Sunday that the COVID vaccine maker Moderna refused to ship vaccines directly to the state government because, according to their policy, they only deal with the Indian government and not with a state government or private parties.
- Punjab node immunization officer Vikas Garg said that all vaccine manufacturers have been contacted for direct purchase of various COVID vaccines, including Sputnik V, Pfizer, Modern and Johnson & Johnson, as directed by the Chief Minister, Captain Amarinder Singh, to explore the possibilities to float a global tender for the purchase of vaccines from all possible sources to ensure early inoculation in the state.
- In a statement, Garg said the response was only received from Moderna in which the company refused to negotiate with the state government.
- The statement added that the state government has been forced to stop vaccination for the Phase I and Phase 2 categories in the past three days due to unavailability of vaccines.
- Every effort will be made to buy vaccines to address the acute shortage in the state, which has so far received fewer than 44 doses of the lakh vaccine from the Indian government, he said.
- According to the Indian government’s allocation for phase III (age group 18-44), the state government was only able to purchase 4.2 lakh of vaccine doses, of which 66,000 were received yesterday.
- A total of 3.65 lakh has already been used, leaving only 64,000 at the moment, Garg said.
Center wishes to carry out class 12 exams with fewer subjects and a reduced duration
Daily NEWS Summary | 23-05-2021; A general decision has been made that the Class 12 exams should take place, but with fewer subjects, and a possible reduction in duration and staggered hours, according to senior officials who attended the online consultation on Sunday of the Ministers of State and Center.
- Defense Minister Rajnath Singh, who chaired the meeting, gave states three more days to discuss their options before a final decision is made, and asked them to respond in writing by Tuesday.
- A voice section of parents and students have called for exams to be canceled, due to the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Center recommended that exams be taken in only about 20 major subjects. It offered two options, one to take the regular three-hour exams or cut the exam time in half by using a question paper with only multiple-choice or short-answer questions, authorities said.
- Representatives from Delhi and Maharashtra wanted students and teachers to be vaccinated before exams. Maharashtra’s education minister also said the chief state minister will hold further consultations before taking office.
- Several states wanted the option to postpone their reviews for several months, if necessary. Kerala and Bihar have already passed their State Board exams.
- Chhattisgarh has announced an open book exam that will begin on June 1, but central officials have warned universities may not accept the validity of the results.
- As for the entrance exams for professionals such as NEET and JEE, the Center is ready to take them until September, as was done last year, in order to allow time for class 12 exams. to end, according to a senior official.
Opposition backs farmers protests on May 26
Daily NEWS Summary | 23-05-2021; Twelve opposition parties released a statement on Sunday in support of Samyukta Kisan Morcha (SKM) ‘s call for a nationwide protest on May 26 to mark six months since the start of the farmers’ protest.
“We demand the immediate repeal of agricultural laws and the legal right to the minimum subsistence price (MSP) of C2 + 50 percent as recommended by the Swaminathan Commission. The central government must stop being stubborn and immediately resume talks with the SKM in this direction, ”the statement read.
- The declaration was signed by party leaders Sonia Gandhi (Congress), HD Deve Gowda (Janata Dal-Secular), Sharad Pawar (Nationalist Congress Party), Mamata Banerjee (Trinamool Congress), Uddhav Thackeray (Shiv Sena), MK Stalin (DMK), Hemant Soren (Jharkhand Mukti Morcha), Farooq Abdullah (National Conference of Jammu and Kashmir), Akhilesh Yadav (Samajwadi Party), Tejaswi Yadav (Rashtriya Janata Dal), D. Raja (Indian Communist Party) and Sitaram Yechury (ICC-Marxist).
Anxiety and depression are the main concerns in the middle of the second wave
Daily NEWS Summary | 23-05-2021; Anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder were among the most common problems reported by callers to the Department of Social Justice’s mental health helpline, and many states have seen a increase in calls during the second wave. From the COVID-19 pandemic, officials said.
- According to data from the Department for the Empowerment of People with Disabilities (DEPwD), the KIRAN helpline received a total of 26,047 calls as of April 30 to September 16, 2020.
- While the overall number of calls registered a decrease compared to March (3,617). up to April (3,371), there was an increase in some states, including Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Haryana, where the number of calls more than doubled from 73 in March to 170 in April.
- A senior official at one of the hotline’s regional centers, who wished not to be named, said most callers over the past month had expressed concern about the second wave of the pandemic after receiving a diagnosis of COVID-19.
- The official added that the rise in calls may be partly due to the hotline being promoted as a COVID-19-related mental health resource during the second wave in the region.
- While most callers were concerned about the COVID-19 situation, some also asked about immunization and emergency services, the official said.
- The helpline, 1800-599-0019, was launched by the Department of Social Justice on September 7, 2020 as a mental health rehabilitation service.
- Callers receive counseling first and are in contact with psychiatrists and other experts as needed.
- Most of the callers were men and were in the age group of 15 to 40, according to the ministry’s report on its operation from September 16, 2020 to January 15, 2021.
Health Minister asks Baba Ramdev to annul his statement on allopathic drugs
Daily NEWS Summary | 23-05-2021; Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan has asked yoga guru Ramdev, the face of one of India’s largest consumer goods and alternative medicine empires, to annul his comment.
“The people of the country are very hurt by your comment on allopathic medicines. I have already spoken about this sentiment on the phone. Doctors and health workers are like gods to the inhabitants of the country for whom they fight against the coronavirus at risk of their lives, ”
“You not only insulted the Corona warriors, but you hurt the feelings of the locals. Your clarification yesterday is not enough to make up for this … I hope you give it some serious thought and withdraw your statements completely.”Dr. Vardhan said in a two-page letter written in Hindi.
- Ramdev had sparked outrage and legal opinion from the Indian Medical Association (IMA), demanding a written apology for the statement that she claimed damaged the reputations of practitioners of allopathy and modern medicine when they “ are working for save lives during the pandemic. ”
- In a video that was widely shared on social media, Ramdev was heard saying at a recent event: “People have died from allopathic drugs, far more than those who have died from no treatment or oxygen.” He also allegedly called allopathy a “stupid and bankrupt” science.
India challenges international arbitration award to Cairn Energy
Daily NEWS Summary | 23-05-2021; India has challenged an international arbitration tribunal asking it to return $ 1.2 billion to Britain’s Cairn Energy on the grounds that it had never agreed to arbitrate a “national tax dispute,” the Finance Ministry said today.
- In a statement, the ministry also refuted reports that the government ordered state banks to withdraw funds from foreign currency accounts in anticipation of the possible seizure of those accounts.
- While the government appointed a judge to the three-member arbitration panel and was fully involved in the case against India asking for $ 10,247 crore in back taxes in Cairn, the ministry said the court had improperly exercised jurisdiction over a national tax dispute for which the Republic of India never offered and / or agreed to arbitrate. “
- India seized and sold Cairn shares in its former Indian unit, confiscated any dividends owed and withheld tax refunds to recover the tax claim it had collected two years after a law was passed in 2012 that gave it the power to collect taxes retroactively.
- In December last year, Cairn won an award that found the tax levy using the 2012 law unfair for the company and the court asked the Indian government to reimburse $ 1.2 billion plus costs and interest.
Covid updates: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India stands at 2.66,43,652 at the time of publication of this bulletin, with a balance of 3,00734.