SC stays the order of Allahabad High Court on the lockdown in the U.P. cities
Daily NEWS Summary | 20-04-2021; On Tuesday, the Supreme Court granted a provisional stay of the Allahabad High Court order ordering the Uttar Pradesh government to impose strict restrictions until April 26 in five cities amid a spike in Covid-19 cases.
“There will be a provisional suspension by order of the Superior Court,”said a bench headed by Chief Justice S A. Bobde upon hearing the statement of the state government against the order approved on Monday.
- Attorney General Tushar Mehta, who appeared for Uttar Pradesh, said the state has taken various steps to contain the spread of the coronavirus, but that “blocking five cities by court order may not be the right approach.”
- Further he said the state government had issued various instructions and taken appropriate precautions in this regard.
- Mehta said the High Court order would create immense administrative difficulties.
- The Supreme Court, while granting a temporary stay of the higher court order, appointed lead counsel P S Narasimha as amicus curiae to assist in the case.
- The court ordered that the case be listed after two weeks.
- Earlier today, the Supreme Court agreed to hear the Uttar Pradesh government’s statement against the high court order after the state requested urgent registration of the case.
- Previously High Court had ordered the Uttar Pradesh government to impose strict restrictions, including the closure of shopping malls, shopping complexes and restaurants until April 26 in five cities.
As Delhi hospitals run out of oxygen, HC tells the company not to divert it from the capital
Daily NEWS Summary | 20-04-2021; Several government hospitals in the city have said that their oxygen supply will only last “seven to twelve hours” and that “people will die” if they do not receive oxygen. Delhi has seen a large increase in cases, with a positivity rate of almost 30%.
- The chief minister, Arvind Kejriwal, also recalled that there was a serious oxygen crisis and again asked the central government for help.
- Meanwhile, the Delhi High Court notified INOX, which produces oxygen, the reasons why a contempt action should not be brought against him for not complying with the oxygen supply court orders and ordered the presence of the director general of the company at the next hearing date on April 22, PTI reported.
- The court also requested the presence of the Uttar Pradesh government on the following date.
- The investigation came after lead attorney Rahul Mehra told the court that INOX was not providing oxygen to Delhi as the court said, claiming it would lead to a law enforcement situation in Uttar Pradesh, where the supply would come from.
- In his order, the court also ordered the Center to issue the corresponding orders and also meet with representatives of the steel and petrochemical industries to divert some of their oxygen for medical needs for a period in order to overcome the current pandemic.
- Believing that economic interests cannot prevail over human lives and given that several hospitals in the country’s capital are running out of oxygen, he said the Center should immediately implement a ban on the use of industrial oxygen instead of waiting for the 22nd of April.
- The court of judges Vipin Sanghi and Rekha Palli also pointed out that the oxygen supply of several hospitals will be exhausted in 4-8 hours and that in such a situation there was no justification for the implementation of the ban as of April 22, because the need was now.
In an address to the nation, the Prime Minister spoke in favor of “micro-containment zones” during the closures.
Daily NEWS Summary | 20-04-2021; In a special address to the nation tonight, Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged young people to take the initiative to encourage appropriate behavior in Covid-19, saying that if everyone strictly follows COVID protocols, then there would be no need for foreclosure which could disrupt economic activity.
- He also said that, where appropriate, “micro-containment zones” could be used as a strategy to slow the spread of infections rather than as a blunt instrument such as closure.
- Emphasizing that India is now much better equipped to deal with the second wave of the pandemic compared to the same period last year when the country lacked many pieces of COVID-specific infrastructure such as test kits and PPE, he told the government.
- He is fully aware of the current challenges and is working hard to accelerate the production of oxygen cylinders, medicines and vaccines to meet the increased demand following an increase in infections.
- Stating that he shared the pain of ordinary citizens who have been hit hard by the pandemic and have lost loved ones, he praised the contributions of thousands of frontline workers, or “ COVID warriors, ” who have worked without authorization to save lives while risking theirs.
ICSE Class 10 Exams Canceled Due to Rise in Covid-19
Daily NEWS Summary | 20-04-2021; The Council of School Certification Examinations of India (CISCE) told schools on Monday that the ICSE Class 10 exams had been canceled due to the increase in Covid-19 cases.
- In a letter to all principals presenting candidates for the examinations, ICSE Director General and Secretary Gerry Arathoon said; “In view of the current worsening situation of the COVID-19 pandemic in the country, the CISCE has decided to cancel the ICSE (Class 10 Exam) 2021… The safety and well-being of our students and teachers is our top priority and our top concern. “
- He said the April 16 circular, which made the exams optional, had been withdrawn. Additionally, all CISCE-affiliated schools were invited to begin the admissions process for Class 11, if they had not already done so, he said. Schools should prepare a schedule for the start of online courses for students in class 11.
- The ICSE is committed to upholding a “fair and impartial standard” on the basis of which Class 10 results would be declared. The criteria and date for reporting the results will be released later, he said.
The two election commissioners test positive
Daily NEWS Summary | 20-04-2021; Chief Elections Commissioner (CEC) Sushil Chandra and Elections Commissioner (EC) Rajiv Kumar tested positive for Covid-19 and have been working from home, according to officials from the Election Commission of India (ECI).
- Chandra, who succeeded Sunil Arora as CEC on April 13, had assumed responsibility for the new role from his home, as he was positive for Covid-19 at the time, an official said.
- An ECI spokesperson confirmed Tuesday that Chandra and Kumar had tested positive for the pandemic and were working from home.
- The development comes at a time when the Commission is running out of an EC, following Chandra’s ascent from EC to CEC, and when West Bengal Assembly elections are underway.
Daily NEWS Summary | 20-04-2021; The number of reported coronavirus cases in India was 1,55,26,274 at the time of this bulletin, with the death toll at 1,81,904.
- Former Congress President Rahul Gandhi said Tuesday that he tested positive for COVID-19. “After experiencing mild symptoms, I just tested positive for COVID. Anyone who has been in contact with me recently, please follow all security protocols and stay safe, ”Gandhi tweeted.
- With an uncontrollable rise in coronavirus cases in India, Prime Minister Narendra Modi canceled his trip to Europe next month, the Foreign Ministry (MEA) said.
- The decision was made after discussions with the leaders of the European Union and the Portuguese government, which was to host the summit in Porto, and had invited the leaders of the 27 EU countries to attend the meeting with Modi.
- The cancellation comes a day after British Prime Minister Boris Johnson canceled his visit to India due to the pandemic.