Assam elections | EC reduces Himanta Biswa Sarma campaign ban to 24 hours
Daily News Summary | 03-04-2021; The Election Commission of India (EC) on Saturday shortened the campaign ban of BJP leader and Assam minister Himanta Biswa Sarma from 48 hours to 24 hours, taking into account his “unconditional apologies” and “guarantee” to adhere the Model Code of Conduct (MCC).
On Friday, the EC banned Sarma from campaigning for the April 6 vote for 48 hours after finding that a speech he made violated the MCC.
He had said that the leader of the Bodoland Popular Front (BPF), Hagrama Mohilary, would be jailed if he (Mohilary) became involved in extremism.
On Saturday, the EC wrote to Sarma to tell him that he had considered that his representation had been sent on Saturday and had reduced the ban from 48 hours to 24 hours, which meant that he could campaign from Saturday for the night.
With the elections on April 6, the campaign is expected to end on Sunday.
The EC said Sarma asked them to accept his “sincere regret and assurance of respecting the MCC in the future.”
The EC said Sarma also came out claiming that he himself was a candidate in the electoral district scheduled for the April 6 elections.
By reducing the ban from 48 hours to 24 hours, the EC said concerned district authorities could allow Sarma to hold public gatherings, parades, rallies, touring shows, etc.
On Friday, the EC said in its order that it received a complaint from Congress on March 30 that Sarma threatened on March 28 to send the head of BPF, an ally of Congress, to jail for “abusing” him.
According to the EC order, Sarma had spoken of a case turned over to the NIA and of “weapons recovery cases” that would be “counted one by one after the elections.”
In its order, the EC stated that it concluded that Sarma’s statement was prima facie contrary to the MCC and therefore sent a notification to the MCC on April 1, asking it to respond by April 2.
In his response, Sarma denied the accusations against him, which the voting committee deemed “unsatisfactory.”
In a tweet Saturday, Sarma said that he had not challenged the BOI order in any court.
Shortly after the letter from the EC asking him to lower the ban was made public, he tweeted the details of a road show to be held in the evening.
Meanwhile, the EC ordered the replacement of Sarma’s brother as Goalpara district police superintendent.
In an official communication to the state electoral director on Friday, the EC ordered the transfer of Sushanta Biswa Sarma from Goalpara “to an appropriate position at the state headquarters.”
The order named Veera Venkata Rakesh Reddy, an IPS officer, as a replacement for Sushanta Biswa Sarma.
Voters in the Goalpara district will exercise their right to vote in the third phase on April 6. The first and second phases of voting took place on March 27 and April 1.
Not trading with India in the current circumstances: Imran Khan
Daily News Summary | 03-04-2021; Prime Minister Imran Khan has ruled that Pakistan cannot continue any trade with India under the current circumstances after consulting with key members of his cabinet on importing cotton and sugar from the neighboring country, a press report said on Saturday.
Pakistan’s sea change on Thursday came a day after the Economic Coordination Committee (CEC), under the leadership of new Finance Minister Hammad Azhar.
He recommended importing cotton and sugar from India, lifting a nearly two-year ban on its imports from the neighboring country amid tensions over the Kashmir issue.
The prime minister, after consultations on Friday, instructed the Ministry of Commerce and its economic team to take immediate measures to facilitate the affected sectors.
Whereas the decision is made by the official journal of the Cabinet meeting, the question submitted by the Cabinet and Premier members requires that the ECC decision be reported and immédiatement examinée, indicate The report.
India has said it wants normal neighborhood relations with Pakistan in an environment free from terror, hostility and violence.
India said that Pakistan should create an environment free from terror and hostility.
Bombay HC grants bail before arresting man accused of raping married woman for 10 years
Daily News Summary | 03-04-2021; The Bombay High Court recently granted a pre-arrest bond to a man accused of raping a married woman for 10 years after she filed a statement sworn in which she affirmed that the investigating officer had forced her to add rape charge against the man.
The court said the circumstances were troubling and ordered the police commissioner to investigate the episode.
Single bench of justice S.V. Sarang listened to a prior statement of bond deposited by Sachin alias Tanaji Mahadeo Maykude.
The FIR presented by the woman herself indicated that Maykude was her neighbor when she resided with her husband and children.
The FIR categorically stated that Maykude had committed violent sex amounting to rape without his consent.
She alleged that he threatened to injure his children and therefore forcibly succumbed.
Maykude also blackmailed him by saying he had his photos on his cell phone, FIR said.
On March 7, 2020, she was allegedly raped again and later told her husband about it, after which an FIR was recorded.
The lawyer who appeared for Maykude said that the plaintiff (the woman) and the defendant (the man) had a consensual relationship for 10 years.
The woman also filed an affidavit with the HC saying she had personal disputes with Maykude and that the FIR was incorrectly registered.
The court took the photographs attached to the application and the woman’s affidavit and said, Maybe there was a consensual relationship. The lady in her affidavit stated categorically that she had no complaints against Maykude. It would not be justified to refuse you an advance deposit. Therefore, I am inclined to grant this order in your favor”.
The Tribunal also commented: “However, the circumstances in this case are quite worrying. There are complaints against the police filed by the lady. You may have made statements to the contrary and changed your version through your affidavit. The question cannot be simply ignored like this. Therefore, it is necessary to conduct an investigation to bring the case to its logical end ”.
Special NIA court extends custody of Sachin Vaze until April 7
Daily News Summary | 03-04-2021; National Investigation Agency (NIA) Special Court extended NIA custody of suspended police assistant Sachin Vaze until April 7 in connection with explosives found near Mukesh Ambani’s residence February 25.
Vaze was arrested on March 13 by the central agency.
After arresting him at 11:50 pm, the NIA spokesperson said he was arrested for his “role and involvement in placing a vehicle loaded with explosives near Carmichael Road”.
The lawyer who appeared for the NIA told the court on Saturday that they were investigating not only cases falling under the UAPA but also several other cases related to it and asking for an extension of their custody.
So far, the agency has also attacked a prominent restaurant in south Mumbai after learning that Vaze was holding several of its meetings there.
The NIA seized seven vehicles, including the Scorpio found with 20 sticks of jelly and a threat letter.
The owner of the abandoned Scorpio, Mansukh Hiren, an auto parts dealer, was found dead on March 5 in Thane Creek.
Vaze was also charged with Sections 286 (negligent conduct in relation to explosive substances), 465 (sanction for infringement), 473 (making or possessing a false seal, etc., with intent to commit punishable infringement. otherwise), 506 (punishment for intimidation) 120 B (punishment for criminal conspiracy) of the Indian Penal Code and the Explosive Substances Act.
Five security personnel die in meeting with Naxals in Chhattisgarh
Daily News Summary | 03-04-2021; Five security personnel were killed and a few others injured on April 3 during a meeting with Naxals in a forest in the Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh, a senior police official said.
Police say some Maoists are also suspected of having been killed in the shooting. Personnel from the elite unit of the CRPF’s Resolute Action Command Battalion (CoBRA), District Reserve Guard (DRG) and Special Task Force (STF) participated in the surgery.
Daily News Summary | 03-04-2021; The number of coronavirus cases reported in India was 1,24,68,634 at the time of publication of this bulletin, with a death toll of 1,65,931. India on Saturday recorded the biggest one-day increase in coronavirus cases in six months with 89,129 new infections in 24 hours, bringing the number of Covid-19 cases to more than 1.23 million.