The government withdraws the order to reduce rates in small savings plans
Daily NEWS Summary | 01-04-2021; Hours after reporting significant reductions in returns on small savings instruments for this quarter, the government backed down on these brutal cuts. This is the first time the Center has eliminated reported interest rates on small savings plans after switching to a quarterly interest rate setting system in April 2016.
- The government appears to have rethought due to a strong reaction on social media about the crushing of the middle class.
- Retail inflation has passed the 6% mark and the government has also decided to tax savings from this year’s Employee Provident Fund (EPF).
- The latest round of rate cuts took place in the April-June 2020 quarter, when low savings rates fell to between 0.5% and 1.4%.
- Rates reported Wednesday night for the April-June 2021 quarter were 40 basis points (0.4%) to 110 basis points (1.1%) less in various instruments.
- The steepest reduction was proposed in the quarterly interest rate paid on one-year term deposits, from 5.5% for the January-March quarter to 4.4% for this quarter.
- The rate of return on the senior savings program decreased from 7.4% to 6.5%, while the return on the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana of accounts decreased from 7.6% to 6.9%.
- The rate of return of the popular welfare public funds program (FPP) fell from 7.9% to 7.1% last April and was further reduced to 6.4% for this quarter, before the minister announced the retreat on Thursday morning.
The vaccination centers will remain open every day of April
Daily NEWS Summary | 01-04-2021; The Center has decided to put public and private COVID vaccination centers (CVC) into operation every day in April, according to a statement from the Ministry of Health on Thursday. The Center asked all states and UT to make the necessary arrangements to ensure vaccination at the centers every day, including public holidays, in April.
“This step was taken after detailed discussions with the States / UT on March 31, to make optimal use of all COVID vaccination centers in the public and private sectors to ensure a rapid increase in the rate and coverage of the vaccine. COVID, “the statement said.
- Further added that the decision was in line with the gradual and proactive approach used for vaccination against Covid-19. The Covid-19 vaccination for all people over the age of 45 began on April 1.
Elections in Bengal: Mamata Banerjee denounces irregularities in Nandigram
Daily NEWS Summary | 01-04-2021; Alleging irregularities in the voting process in Nandigram, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said on Thursday that she will go to court on the matter.
- Banerjee, who is a candidate for Nandigram, arrived at a voting station in Boyal in the Assembly segment, where accusations were made that she was not allowed to enter the voting officer of her party.
- The Chief minister said outsiders were trying to create disturbances and central forces were protecting them under instructions from the Interior Ministry. She also urged Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar to guarantee a free and fair vote.
- As the Chief minister sat in a polling station at Boyal Primary School for nearly an hour, supporters of the Trinamool Congress and BJP clashed outside. Police and security personnel guarded the primary school in a human chain.
- Passions were high among supporters of the TMC and the BJP, who were pitching slogans to each other. Security personnel did everything possible to avoid clashes.
Rajinikanth to receive the Dada Saheb Phalke award
Daily NEWS Summary | 01-04-2021; Five days before the Tamil Nadu poll, the Narendra Modi government announced the Dadasaheb Phalke award for Rajinikanth on Thursday for his contributions as an actor, producer and screenwriter.
- Announcing the decision in Delhi on Thursday, Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar said; For 50 years, Rajinikanth has led the film industry. His work is like the sun.
- Thanks to his talent and his hard work, he has made a place for himself in the hearts of millions of people. He will receive the award on May 3, the day after the announcement of the election results to the Assembly.
- Established in 1969, the Dadasaheb Phalke Award is the highest distinction of cinema in India. It is presented every year at the national cinema awards ceremony by the Directorate of Film Festivals, a body of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- Responding to the news that he received the 51st Dadasaheb Phalke Award, Rajinikanth thanked Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and several other friends, families and mentors for the award.
- He added that he dedicates this award to my friend, bus driver Raj Bahadur, for recognizing my acting skills and encouraging, to my brother Thiru Sathyanarayana Rao Gaikwad for making many sacrifices to help me achieve my dreams even when we lived in poverty, to my mentor K Balachander for giving me my first break and becoming Rajinikanth, to all my film producers, directors, distribution technicians, theater owners, media, the Tamils who helped me thrive and my fans everywhere in the world.
Pakistan postpones decision to import sugar and cotton from India
Daily NEWS Summary | 01-04-2021; Pakistani Foreign Minister Mahmood Qureshi said on Thursday that the decision to import cotton and sugar from India has been postponed, citing the repeal of Section 370. He said normalization of relations is impossible until decisions are made. on August 5, 2019, they are reconsidered by India.
- In a video released today, the minister said the decision by the Economic Coordination Committee (CEC) had been postponed after a cabinet debate.
- There was a feeling that ties with India are moving towards standardization and trade has opened up.
- He said it was impossible to normalize relations until the unilateral decisions taken by India on August 5, 2019 were reconsidered. On August 5, 2019, India revoked the special status granted to Jammu and Kashmir under Article 370.
- Pakistani Human Rights Minister Shireen Mazari said in a tweet shortly after a cabinet meeting chaired by Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan on Thursday that she rejected the proposal.
- The Prime Minister has made it clear that there can be no normalization of relations with India until he cancels his actions, namely Kashmir from August 5, 2019, he said.
- The cabinet decision comes a day after Pakistan’s new finance minister Hammad Azhar on Wednesday announced that the country would lift a nearly two-year ban on imports of cotton and sugar from India after a meeting of the ECC chaired by him.
EC bans DMK’s A. Raja from campaigning for 48 hours
Daily NEWS Summary | 01-04-2021; The Indian Election Commission (ECI) on Friday banned DMK Deputy General Secretary A. Raja from campaigning for 48 hours with immediate effect, in addition to the reprimand for violating the Model Code of Conduct (MCC) for making certain comments against the head of AIADMK and Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami.
- The Commission urged the former Union Telecom minister to be vigilant and not to make disrespectful, indecent, derogatory, obscene comments and undermine the dignity of women in the future during the election campaign.
- Following a complaint from AIADMK, the EC sent a notification to Raja on March 30 and the next day, MP DMK submitted his provisional response to the Commission.
Biden allows H-1B ban to expire
Daily NEWS Summary | 01-04-2021; US President Joe Biden on Thursday allowed the visa ban for foreign workers, especially the H-1B, to expire when the advisory issued by his predecessor Donald Trump expired, a move that could benefit thousands of Indians. IT professionals.
- Amid a nationwide lockdown and the Covid-19 crisis, Trump issued a proclamation in June last year suspending entry to the United States of applicants for various categories of temporary or “non-immigrant” visas , including the H -1B, arguing that these visas had been presented. a risk to the US labor market during the economic recovery.
Covid Update: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India was 1, 22,95821 at the time of publication of this bulletin, with a death toll of 1,64,786.