Former Mumbai Police Chief Julio Ribeiro May Investigate Allegations Against Maharashtra’s Interior Minister, Says Sharad Pawar
Daily NEWS Summary | 21-03-2021; The Chairman of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), Sharad Pawar, said on Sunday that the charges against NCP leader and Maharashtra Interior Minister Anil Deshmukh, brought by former Mumbai Police Commissioner Param Bir Singh, were “serious” and that any decision would be made about him by the chief minister Uddhav Thackeray.
- Pawar, however, questioned the timing of Singh’s allegations.
- On Saturday, in an letter to Chief Minister Thackeray, Singh alleged that the Interior Minister asked police officers, including suspended officer Sachin Vaze, to raise 100 million rupees a month from bars and hotels in the city.
- Emphasizing that the allegations were made after Singh was removed from his post as chief of police over the “shortcomings” of the investigation into the threat to security outside the residence of industrialist Mukesh Ambani, Antilia.
- Further Pawar suggested a full investigation by former Mumbai police officer Julio Ribeiro, whose “credibility is beyond doubt”.
- He also claimed that Sachin Vaze, who had been suspended for more than 16 years for his role in a death in custody case, was reinstated by Singh last year and that neither the chief minister nor the interior minister were not responsible.
- The charges against the Maharashtra home minister are serious.
- The Chief Minister has full authority to make a decision on an investigation into these allegations against the Interior Minister, Pawar said,
- Further he suggested to Uddhav Thackeray that he seek the help of former IPS officer Julio Ribeiro to review the allegations manufactured by ParamBir Singh.
- The head of the NCP told reporters at his official residence in Delhi that Param Bir Singh had met him, but it was only when his transfer orders were about to be issued by the Maharashtra government.
- The episode sparked tensions within the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) government, as Shiv Sena’s leaders are said to be against keeping Deshkmukh as minister.
- Pawar is known to have called a meeting of party leaders, including Senior Deputy Minister Ajit Pawar and NCP state leader Jayant Patil, to discuss the matter.
- The NCP leader also said the party should listen to Deshmukh, who strongly denied all the allegations, before making a final decision.
- There were allegations that he ordered the police to collect 100 million rupees. There is no information about the actual transaction for the money. There is no information on the money transferred to the Minister of the Interior he emphasized.
West Bengal Assembly Elections | BJP Manifesto Promises CAA Implementation
Daily NEWS Summary | 21-03-2021; The BJP promised that the implementation of the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA), a 33% reserve for women in government positions and a pending allocation of ₹ 18,000 to 75 lakh from farmers under Prime Minister Kisan Samman Nidhi in his Manifesto for the West Bengal Assembly election.
- Releasing the party’s manifesto titled “Sonar Bangla Sonkolpo Potro 2021”, Union Interior Minister Amit Shah said the manifesto was a vision of the realization of the party’s slogan “Sonar Bangla (Golden Bengal)”.
- Along with a 33% reserve for women in government positions, the BJP promised free education for girls from kindergarten through graduation, free rides for women on public transportation, and a school-to-school transfer.
- Conditional money for girls attending classes VI, IX, XI and XII. The Trinamool Congress has a conditional money transfer program for girls at school called the Kanyashree Scheme, which has received international recognition.
- Shah pledged the implementation of CAA at the first meeting of the BJP government cabinet in West Bengal.
- The BJP had promised the implementation of the CAA in the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, and the bill was passed in parliament the same year.
- In the run-up to the election campaign, BJP leaders, including Shah, argued that CAA rules were being worked out and that the law would be implemented once the Covid-19 vaccination was completed.
India, Pakistan and China to participate in SCO joint counterterrorism exercise this year
Daily NEWS Summary | 21-03-2021; India, Pakistan, China and other members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) will conduct a joint counterterrorism exercise this year, the eight-member bloc said.
- The decision to conduct the joint “Pabbi-Antiterror-2021” exercise was announced at the 36th meeting of the Council of the Regional Counterterrorism Structure (RATS) held in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, on the 18th March.
- At the meeting, representatives of SCO member states also approved the draft cooperation program for 2022-2024 to combat terrorism, separatism and extremism.
- Delegations of the relevant authorities from India, Kazakhstan, China, Kyrgyz Republic, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and the RATS Executive Committee attended the meeting, made know the Xinhua agency.
- The Tashkent-based RATS is a permanent body of the SCO that serves to promote cooperation among member states against terrorism, separatism and extremism.
- The SCO is an economic and security bloc to which India and Pakistan were admitted as full members in 2017.
- Its founding members are China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. The next SCO RATS Council meeting is scheduled for September in Uzbekistan.
Allahabad High Court considers transfer of Hathras gang rape and murder case
Daily NEWS Summary | 21-03-2021; In response to an affidavit submitted by the older brother of the gang rape and murder victim of Hathras, stay the court proceedings given the real and serious risk of a miscarriage of justice after he and his lawyer were allegedly threatened in the courtroom.
- Special Judge (SC / ST) Hearing, Hathras, On March 5, the Allahabad High Court asked District Judge Hathras and the Inspector General of the Central Reserve Police Force to investigate allegations and submit a report within 15 days.
“It would be considered whether the trial in question before the special judge (SC / ST), Hathras should remain suspended and should be moved elsewhere. the exercise of powers under article 407 of the CrPc ”.After that, the two-judge bench of Judges Rajan Roy and Jaspreet Singh said on Friday
- The affidavit submitted by the victim’s brother on March 18 indicated that on March 5, when he surrendered, accompanied by his wife and lawyer Seema Kushawaha, to the BD Bharti Special Court to register the Prosecution evidence, a lawyer named Tarun Hari Sharma broke into the courtroom and indicted him and his lawyer, shouting and threatening.
- Sharma appeared to be under the influence of alcohol and said Kushwaha could not represent the victim’s family.
- The affidavit further indicated that a large crowd, including lawyers, had gathered inside the courtroom to threaten and intimidate the complainant and his lawyer.
- Out of fear for his life and safety, according to the affidavit, the prosecution witness was unable to testify properly. When proceedings resumed, according to the affidavit, another lawyer, Hari Sharma, who is said to be Tarun Hari Sharma’s father, entered the courtroom and issued threats.
- As a result, the affidavit states, the presiding judge was forced to stop the proceedings, request police personnel present at the court to provide security blanket at the court premises and order the officer station (SHO), Kotwali, to provide safe passage to Kushwaha.
Covid Update: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India stood at 1,16,11,212 at the time of this report, with the death toll at 1,61,250.