Rajnath Singh confirms withdrawal of LAC troops from Ladakh
India and China have reached a disengagement agreement in the Pangong Lake region to end their advanced deployments in a staged, coordinated and verified manner and this will substantially restore the situation to what it was before last year’s stalemate, said the Defense Minister Rajnath. Singh reported to the Rajya Sabha on Thursday.
- “These are mutual and reciprocal stages and all the structures that had been built by the two parties since April 2020 in the North and South Coast regions will be removed and the reliefs will be restored,” he said.
- In addition, the two parties agreed to a temporary moratorium on military activities on the north coast, including patrols in traditional areas.
- “The patrols will only resume when the two sides reach an agreement in the diplomatic and military talks to be held later,” Singh added. Implementation of the agreement began on Wednesday on the north and south shores of Pangong Lake.
- “I want to assure this House that in these talks we have not conceded anything,” Singh said, while stating that there are unresolved issues regarding deployment and patrols elsewhere along the way from the Line of Effective Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh. These will be the subject of further discussions with the Chinese side.
Companies like Twitter must follow Indian law: Ravi Shankar Prasad
Information and Communications Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said on Thursday that global social media platforms such as Twitter, WhatsApp, Facebook and others are welcome to work and earn money in India, but that they must respect the law and the Constitution of India.
- Responding to a question from Rajya Sabha, Prasad said his ministry flagged Twitter and called the microblogging site a double standard, adding that “freedom of speech” was there, but section 19 (2) of the Constitution added reasonable restrictions due to sovereignty and the integrity of India. Twitter and the Indian government are at odds on issues related to content removal and freedom of expression.
HC Delhi Issues Guilty Notice Calling For Court-Supervised SIT Investigation Into Republic Day Farmer Death
The Delhi High Court on Thursday issued a notice requesting a response from the Delhi government and police to an appeal calling for a court-supervised SIT investigation into the death of Navreet Singh, a farmer from 25 years who died after he overthrew his tractor during the demonstration of farmers’ tractors protesting Republic Day, PTI reported.
- The notification, also addressed to the government of Uttar Pradesh and to the medical director of the Rampur Hospital District, where the autopsy was performed, responded to a request from Singh’s grandfather who claimed that the victim had suffered gunshot wounds to the head.
- The court ordered the Delhi police to submit an investigation progress report no later than the next hearing date, February 26. The petition requested instructions from the Delhi police to share the CCTV images recovered from the scene of the incident with the petitioner.
- It should be remembered that several FIRs in different states, alleging sedition and the creation of community disharmony, were quickly registered against various journalists, including Rajdeep Sardesai of India Today, in reports that seemed to cast doubt on the police version that Singh had died.
“Four people run this country,” says Rahul Gandhi, in a violent attack on the government.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi leads the country with a policy of “hum do hamare do (we two, us two)”, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi told parliament today. He claimed that this policy has been evident in all of the dispensation’s main political decisions, be it demonetization, GST implementation, Covid-19 related lockdown, and most recently, the three farm laws hannah agriculturalists the country. Gandhi also silenced members of his party and those of the TMC and DMK for two minutes to mourn the deaths of 194 farmers who have been killed in the ongoing upheaval.
Biden speaks with Xi by phone, highlights concerns about China’s economic practices
US President Joe Biden spoke with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping on Wednesday evening (Washington time), the first call between the two leaders since Biden took office on January 20.Biden highlighted concerns about Beijing’s economic practices, its human rights record, and “assertive actions in the region” while affirming its priority to preserve a “free and open Indo-Pacific,” the White House said in a lecture of the call.
- However, Xi reportedly said Hong Kong, Taiwan and Xinjiang were China’s internal affairs, according to China’s state-run Xinhua News Agency. China and the United States should “jointly safeguard peace and stability in the Asia-Pacific region,” Xi said. “The Taiwan issue and the issues related to Hong Kong, Xinjiang, etc. are China’s internal affairs and concern the sovereignty and territorial integrity of China, and the US side should respect China’s core interests and act with caution, ”Xi said, according to Xinhua.
- The Biden administration is conducting a review of the Trump administration’s trade policies in China, as well as a review of the impact of Chinese tech companies on U.S. national security.
- The administration is also not, at least for the moment, in favor of the Trump administration’s ban on the social media app TikTok and its acquisition by an American company, according to reports.
Covid Watch: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India was 1,08,71,492 at the time of publication of this bulletin, with a toll of 1.56,776.
The Democracy Watch Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) said in its latest report that 12,924 election bonds worth ₹ 6,534 crore were sold between March 2018 and January 2021.
- It also found that on of the 28 ministers whose declared assets had been analyzed, 26 (93%) were crorepatis, while their net worth averaged 4.46 million rupees.
- Significantly, the ADR report indicates that 2,301 or 97.50% of groups registered to receive donations were unrecognized parties. Additionally, contribution reports for only 78 of 2,301 registered unrecognized parties (3.39%) were available in the public domain for the 2018-2019 fiscal year.
While the government is expected to announce a regulatory code for OTT platforms soon, the Internet and Mobile Devices Association of India on Thursday announced the adoption of a “toolbox” by 17 players, including Netflix, Disney + Hotstar and Amazon Premium. As of February 10, the purpose of the toolkit, the industry body said, was to help achieve effective self-regulatory goals, as provided for in the Code, and to respond to comments received from the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting on conflict of interest issues. . and prohibited content.