Serum Institute of India (SII) CEO Adar Poonawalla said on Saturday the company had requested to start trials of another Covid-19 vaccine in partnership with Novavax in India and that it plans to launch Covavax in June 2021.
- The announcement comes a day after Novavax Inc said its vaccine was 89.3% effective in preventing COVID-19 in a UK trial and was almost as effective in protecting against the most contagious variant, first discovered in the UK, according to preliminary analysis.
- The Pune-based company produced the AstraZeneca Covishield vaccine, which is being jointly developed by the University of Oxford and the Anglo-Swedish company AstraZeneca. The Center purchased 11 million doses of the vaccine, also known as Covishield from India.
- India launched its mass vaccination program against Covid-19 on January 16 and around 3 crores of healthcare and frontline workers are the first to be vaccinated.
- Since the start of the pandemic, SII has manufactured and stored around 40 million doses of “at risk” Covishield.
- IBS had announced last year that it had received funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to deliver around 200 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine in the first half of 2021.
- This includes doses of Covishield and another Covid vaccine.19 which manufactures for Novavax, based in the United States.
- India detected its first case of infection with the novel coronavirus a year ago, on January 30, 2020.
- A year later, as the epidemic continues to ravage several American and European countries, India appears to be on an irreversible way out.
- The number of new cases has been steadily declining for more than four months, and the downward progression has not been affected by festival season, elections or the easing of movement restrictions.
- The average number of new detections each day has fallen to between 12,000 and 14,000. Without Kerala, which now accounts for almost half of all new cases in the country, the number could have been well below 10,000.
- Active cases have gone from a high of over 10 lakh to almost 1.7 lakh now. Fewer than 150 deaths are reported each day across the country.
Internet suspended on farmers’ protest sites
Haryana also suspended mobile internet services in 17 districts until Sunday evening “to prevent disruption of peace and public order” as farmers protested against three farm laws .
Gujarat will target 1 lakh of beneficiaries during Sunday’s vaccination campaign
Gujarat will start COVID-19 vaccination campaign for frontline workers, including police officers, from Sunday, aiming to cover more ‘a lakh of beneficiaries in a single day.
Pakistan will send a special plane to China to receive the first tranche of the COVID-19 vaccine
Pakistan will send a special plane to China on Sunday to bring the first batch of the 500,000 doses of the Covid-19 vaccine that Beijing has pledged to supply its close ally .
ATK Mohun Bagan aims to regain his mojo against optimistic Kerala
Having suffered his third loss of the season, ATK Mohun Bagan will try to regain his mojo and get closer to the leaders of the city of Mumbai against the Kerala Blasters in the Super League India in Margao on Sunday.
Hyderabad aims to increase playoff chances against Chennaiyin: Hyderabad will have a chance to move up to third place in the Indian Super League table and increase their playoff chances against Chennaiyin FC at Tilak Maidan in Vasco on Sunday.
Mushtaq Ali T20 Final: Tamil Nadu’s formidable favorites against Upbeat Baroda – A formidable Tamil Nadu side with tons of experience at their base will have an advantage over an unexpected Baroda who ignored controversies off the pitch to establish a promising grand final at the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 Tournament on Sunday.
Sonam surprises Shakshi by winning gold in the national senior wrestling competitions: bouts in five weight categories – 53 kg, 59 kg, 65 kg, 68 kg and 76 kg – will take place on Sunday.
Covid Watch: The number of positive coronavirus cases reported in India is now 1, 07,46,930 at the time of publication of this bulletin. The disease toll is 1,54,342.