Data breaches expose the emails and passwords of various government officials to hackers.
Daily NEWS Summary | 12-06-2021; The emails and passwords of hundreds of EU government officials have been exposed to hackers due to recent data breaches by Air India, Domino’s and Big Basket, the government has warned.
- Internal communications, accessed by The Hindu, said that compromised emails on government domains such as @ nic.in and @ gov.in are potential cyber threats, as they are used by “adversaries” to send malicious emails to all government users.
- Days after the alert was sent on June 10, several government offices, including Defense Ministry officials, were attacked by a malicious web link sent by WhatsApp and SMS, asking them to update their vaccination status.
- The post asked officials to click https://covid19india.in to generate a digital COVID-19 inoculation certificate, redirecting them to a “@ gov.in” page that looks like the government website mygov.in, and the manager asked email and password.
- Air India informed passengers on May 15 that its passenger service system, provided by multinational IT company SITA, was subjected to a sophisticated cyber attack during the last week of February that affected around 45 lakh of “data from subject ”worldwide recorded between August 26, 2011 and February 3, 2021, Government officials frequently travel with Air India.
- The alert sent to officials read: “It is implied that recent data breaches by Air India and other companies such as Domino’s, Big Basket, etc. have resulted in the exposure of e-mail IDs and passwords of many users, including many government email credentials Domain emails are potential cyber threats as they are used by adversaries to send malicious emails to all government email users It should be noted that in largely, name-based email identifiers that are available to malicious actors. “
- A government official said that while such phishing attempts were common, they have escalated over the past year.
- The Union Energy Ministry said on March 1 that “state-sponsored” Chinese hacking groups had attacked various Indian centers of power.
- U.S. cybersecurity and intelligence firm Recorded Future has discovered that Chinese state-sponsored actors may have deployed malware to Indian power grids and seaports after India-China border tensions began to intensify last May.
- National Informatics Center (NIC) under the Ministry of Informatics provides web hosting services to various ministries and departments through the nic.in and gov.in domains.
- The alert indicated that compromised email credentials from the NIC mail were being used to target Indian government officials.
- He said ordinary users were unable to identify these phishing attacks as they came from the NIC domain email IDs and hence “fell victim to such attacks and click attachments / web links malicious “.
- Air India violation involved details such as name, date of birth, contact details, passport information, ticket information, frequent flyer data from Star Alliance and Air India (but the password data has not been assigned) CVV / CVC numbers have been assigned.
- The airline said it was “liaising with various regulatory bodies in India and abroad and informed them of the incident in accordance with their obligations.”
Rajnath Singh Supports New War History Declassification Policy
Daily NEWS Summary | 12-06-2021; Defense Minister Rajnath Singh approved on Saturday a policy for the archiving, declassification, compilation and publication of stories of war and operations by the Ministry of Defense (MoD).
- However, the degradation of older wars, such as that of 1962, is not automatic and will be considered on a case-by-case basis by a committee that will be formed under the new policy.
- According to the policy, archives should normally be declassified within 25 years. Records older than 25 years must be evaluated by archival experts and transferred to the National Archives of India once war / operations histories are compiled, a ministry statement said Saturday.
- When asked about cases like Henderson Brooks’ highly confidential report on the 1962 war with China and Operation Bluestar in 1984, a defense official said the committee would review and take a position on previous wars and operations.
- The history compiled on wars and operations, within five years, will first be destined for internal consumption, and then the committee may decide to make all or part of it public, given the sensitivity of the issue, the official said.
- The policy requires the establishment of a committee headed by the deputy secretary of the Ministry of Defense and composed of representatives of the services, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MEA), the Ministry of the Interior (MHA) and other organizations and eminent military historians, if necessary, for the compilation of stories of war and operations, said a statement from the ministry on Saturday.
- The History Division will be responsible for coordinating with the various departments in compiling, seeking approval, and publishing war and operations histories.
- The policy also sets clear deadlines for the compilation and publication of war stories and operations, according to the statement, adding that the aforementioned committee should be formed within two years after the end of the war and operations.
- Subsequently, the archive collection and compilation should be completed within three years and distributed to all stakeholders.
- The policy states that all organizations under the Ministry of Defense, such as services, integrated defense personnel, Assam rifles and the coast guard, transfer files, including war diaries, procedural letters and operational records, etc., to the historic division of the Ministry of Defense for the proper maintenance, filing and writing of histories, “said the ministry.
- The responsibility for declassifying the documents rests with the respective organizations, as specified in the Public Registry Law of 1993 and the Rules of Public Registry of 1997.
- The requirement to have war histories written with a clear war record declassification policy was recommended by the Kargil review committee led by K Subrahmanyam, as well as the NN Vohra committee to analyze lessons learned and avoid future mistakes.
- After the Kargil conflict, the recommendations of the Group of Ministers (GoM) on national security also mentioned the desirability of an authoritative war story.
- Timely publication of war stories would give people an accurate account of events, provide authentic material for academic research and counter unfounded rumors, the statement added.
GST Council Reduces Tax Rate on Covid-19 Essentials
Daily NEWS Summary | 12-06-2021; Goods and services tax has been removed for two essential drugs against COVID-19 and the black fungus, tocilizumab and amphotericin B, while tax rates have been reduced to 5% on 14 main items of pandemic relief, including test kits and hand sanitizers, rates between 12% and 18%.
- Ambulances, which are currently taxed at 28%, will now be subject to a 12% GST tax, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said on Saturday, announcing the concessional fees following a GST Council meeting for discuss indirect taxes applied to COVID-19 supplies.
- The reduced rates, which Treasury Secretary Tarun Bajaj said were intended to bring some relief to people amid the pandemic, will remain in effect until September 30, but could be extended further depending on subsequent assessments.
- 5% GST applied to vaccines has remained unchanged, following recent changes to the country’s vaccine procurement strategy which directs the Union government to increase supplies.
- The GoM’s recommendations, led by Meghalaya chief minister Conrad Sangma, were accepted by the council except for three points, where the proposed tariffs were lowered further, he said.
- This includes electric ovens used in crematoria, where the government had suggested a 12% GST rate, but the Council reduced it to 5%. Likewise, for temperature control equipment, the GoM recommended a GST of 18%, which has been significantly reduced to 5%.
- In ambulances, the GoM had recommended a rate of 28%. “However, after discussions, due to the crisis and as this is a lasting asset for hospitals, we felt that even ambulances should be shot down. Thus, the ambulance rate has been reduced to 12%, ”Ms. Sitharaman said.
- For oxygen concentrators, medical grade oxygen and related devices such as ventilators, BiPAP machines, the rate of GST has also been reduced from 12% to 5%. The same reduction has been approved in the levies on COVID test kits and pulse oximeters.
Pakistan has responsibility for creating the right atmosphere: India at the UN
Daily NEWS Summary | 12-06-2021; India said it wanted “normal” neighborly relations with all countries, including Pakistan, and said it was Islamabad’s responsibility to create an “enabling atmosphere” and not allow its territory be used for cross-border terrorism against India. path.
- The statements of the adviser of the Permanent Mission of India to the UN, R Madhu Sudan, came on Friday during the meeting of the United Nations General Assembly on the “Report of the Security Council for 2020”.
- In previous statements, Pakistan’s Permanent Representative to the UN, Munir Akram, has raised the issue of Jammu and Kashmir during his remarks.
- Sudan said it was “unfortunate” enough that Pakistan continued to enjoy “unsuitable movie theaters” for the forum. India, which is currently serving a two-year term on the Security Council as a non-permanent member, further said that as a member of the Council of 15 Nations, it will continue its efforts along with other members elected to carry out reforms in the methods and better inform the General Assembly.
Saudi Arabia says hajj will have a limit of 60,000 in the kingdom
Daily NEWS Summary | 12-06-2021; Saudi Arabia announced on Saturday that this year’s hajj pilgrimage will be limited to a maximum of 60,000 people, all from the kingdom, due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
- The kingdom’s announcement comes after it made an incredibly clean pilgrimage to the virus last year, but still allowed a small number of worshipers to participate in the annual ceremony.
- A statement from the Saudi state news agency quoted the kingdom’s Hajj and Umrah ministry as making the announcement.
- It said this year’s hajj, which starts in mid-July, will be limited to people between the ages of 18 and 65. Participants must also be vaccinated, the ministry said. During last year’s hajj, only 1,000 people already residing in Saudi Arabia were selected to participate in the hajj.
- Two-thirds were foreign residents among the 160 different nationalities that would normally have been represented in the hajj. A third were Saudi medical and security personnel.
- Each year, up to two million Muslims perform the hajj, a physically demanding and often expensive pilgrimage that draws worshipers from around the world.
- The hajj, which all healthy Muslims must perform once in their lifetime, is seen as an opportunity to wash away past sins and bring greater humility and unity among Muslims.
- The reigning family of the Al Saud kingdom is betting its legitimacy in this oil-rich nation on policing and protecting hajj sites. Ensuring that the hajj happens has been a priority for them.
- Epidemics have always been a concern around the hajj. Pilgrims battled a malaria epidemic in 632, cholera in 1821 killed about 20,000 people, and another cholera epidemic in 1865 killed 15,000 people before spreading across the world.
- More recently, Saudi Arabia has faced the danger of another coronavirus, the one that causes Middle East respiratory syndrome, or MERS.
- The kingdom stepped up its public health measures during the hajj in 2012 and 2013, urging the sick and elderly not to participate.
- In recent years, the Saudi authorities have also banned pilgrims from countries affected by the Ebola virus.
- Saudi Arabia had closed its borders for months in a bid to stop the spread of the coronavirus. Since the start of the pandemic, the kingdom has reported more than 4.62,000 cases of the virus with 7,500 deaths.
- It has administered some 15.4 million doses of the coronavirus vaccine, according to the World Health Organization. The kingdom is home to more than 30 million people.
Covid Updates: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India stands at 2,940,4,931 at the time of publication of this bulletin with the death toll at 3,67,933.