Anil Deshmukh resigns as home minister of Maharashtra, to be replaced by Dilip Walse Patil
Daily NEWS Summary | 05-04-2021; Dilip Walse Patil, was appointed to Maharashtra’s interior department on Monday following the resignation of Anil Deshmukh. A few hours earlier, Deshmukh, the Home Minister, resigned from the state cabinet. The resignation comes after the Bombay High Court on Monday ordered the CBI to conduct a preliminary investigation into the allegations against him by former Mumbai police commissioner Param Bir Singh.
“The Bombay High Court, in a petition filed by lawyer Jayashri Patil, ordered the CBI to conduct a preliminary investigation. As a result, it is not morally correct of him to continue as Minister of State for the Interior. Therefore, I decided to resign ”.In his resignation letter, Deshmukh said
- On March 30, the Bombay High Court pulled up Patil for the same reason, requesting an investigation by the CBI into the allegations against Deshmukh, stating that he had been “presented prima facie for cheap publicity”.
- A division of SS Magistrates Shinde and Manish Pitale had said: “The whole petition is cut and paste. What is your locus standi? Can you apply criminal law? At first glance, we are of the opinion that these types of applications are made to gain popularity at a low price. It is unacceptable “.
- Speaking to Patil, Judge Shinde said: “You have a doctorate in law. Show us some original claims in your petition. He only reproduced the conversations between the former commissioner and the Minister of the Interior. It simply extracts paragraph after paragraph. “
- Today, however, a bench of Chief Justice Dipankar Datta and Justice G.S. Kulkarni ordered the CBI to conclude the investigation into Singh’s allegations against Deshmukh within 15 days and take the necessary action.
- Singh wrote a letter last month, after being transferred from the post of police commissioner in Mumbai, alleging that Deshmukh told suspended policeman Sachin Vaze to collect 100 million rupees for extortion from hoteliers in the city.
Rafale agreement: new revelations reveal 1 million euros paid to Indian accused of money laundering
Daily NEWS Summary | 05-04-2021; French aircraft manufacturer Dassault Aviation had paid € 1 million to an Indian company owned by a broker as part of the € 7.87 billion Rafale agreement between India and France in 2016, noted the French Anti-Corruption Agency (AFA) in its audit, according to a French media report.
“This intermediary is now accused of money laundering in India under another defense agreement. The company said the money was used to pay for the manufacture of 50 large replica Rafale aircraft models, although inspectors had not received any evidence that these models were made. However, against all apparent logic, the AFA decided not to seize the prosecutors ”,according to an investigation of Mediapart.
- Dassault had given the AFA a “proforma invoice” dated March 30, 2017, provided by an Indian company called Defsys Solutions, which, according to the AFA investigation report, concerned 50% of the total order (€ 1,017,850 ), for the Manufacture of 50 Rafale C models, at a unit price of € 20,357.
- However, the report states that Dassault was unable to provide the AFA with a “single document showing that these models existed and had been delivered, and not even a photograph” when AFA inspectors went through the process continued found these details in mid-October 2018.
- Defsys Solutions is one of Dassault’s subcontractors in India for the Rafale transaction.
- However, the 170-employee company does not specialize in model making and instead assembles flight simulators and optical and electronic systems for the aviation industry, often licensed to foreign companies, according to the report.
- Additionally, the company is owned by the Gupta family, one of which is under investigation under the AgustaWestland VVIP helicopter deal.
- Sushen Mohan Gupta was arrested by the Enforcement Directorate in March 2019 for corruption in the AgustaWestland settlement and was subsequently released on bail.
- Rafale was originally shortlisted under the Multi-Function Medium Contract Aircraft (MMRCA) deal for 126 aircraft, but the deal was delayed due to pricing and technology transfer issues.
Congress Demands Prime Minister Answers on Latest “Revelations”
Congress today called for a full investigation into the Rafale fighter jet deal and demanded responses from Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the latest “revelations.”
- At a press conference, Congress Secretary General and Chief Spokesperson Randeep Surjewala claimed that the French news portal Mediapart’s report justified former party leader Rahul Gandhi’s corruption allegations in the deal.
- As the 2019 Lok Sabha elections approached, Gandhi alleged corruption in the Rafale fighter deal and put the issue at the center of his poll.
Assam polls: 171 votes cast in a position with 90 voters
Daily NEWS Summary | 05-04-2021; Five members of Assam’s voting staff were suspended after it was discovered that all 90 eligible voters in the voting booth ended up casting 171 votes.
- District Elections Officer Dima Hasao also ordered a new ballot at the voting booth at 107 (A) Khotlir Lower Primary School in the Haflong Assembly District, which went to the polls during the second phase of the elections on April 1st.
- Secondly voting booth was an auxiliary voting table in the main voting center at the nearby Mouldam Primary School.
- The constituency had received 74% of the votes, significantly below the second phase average of 80.96% in 39 constituencies in southern, central and northern parts of Assam.
- Finally district election official issued the suspension order citing a breach of office on April 2, but it was revealed on the night of April 4.
- A district official added that according to election officials, the villagers who came to vote at the auxiliary voting booth came with their own list of voters.
- District officials did not specify why election officials let the villagers make their way.
The fight against the Maoists will intensify: Amit Shah
Daily NEWS Summary | 05-04-2021; The Union Home Secretary Amit Shah, who is visiting Chhattisgarh, said today that the fight against the Maoists will intensify in the coming days and that the loss of Jawan’s lives will not be in vain.
- Shah made the comment after attending a wreath-laying ceremony in Jagdalpur, two days after Maoists ambushed 22 security personnel in Tarrem, south of Bastar.
- A CRPF command is still missing; Shah, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel and other dignitaries laid the wreath on the remains of security personnel.
- Later, Shah attended a security review meeting at Jagdalpur Police Lines with CM Baghel and senior officials. After the meeting, Shah said: “During the last five or six years, many security camps have been opened in the central Maoist areas of Chattisgarh. This attack is the result of his desperation.
LG closes its mobile phone business
Daily NEWS Summary | 05-04-2021; South Korean company LG Electronics announced on Monday that it will close its mobile business unit after nearly six years of losses totaling $ 4.5 billion. The move makes it the first major smartphone brand to exit the market.
- LG said the mobile phone business will cease on July 31, although inventory for some existing models may still be available after that. LG will continue to leverage its mobile expertise and develop mobility-related technologies such as 6G to help further strengthen competitiveness in other business areas.
- For existing mobile customers, LG will provide support service and software updates for a period of time, which varies by region.
- The company noted that employment details will be determined locally. LG’s exit would present an opportunity for Apple and Samsung to gain more customers, especially in the United States, where LG’s market share was 9% in December 2020.
Covid updates: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India was 1,26,15,148 at the time of this bulletin, with a death toll of 1,66,627.