Only NRI quotas for OCI cardholders: MHA
Daily NEWS Summary||06-03-2021; The Home Ministry (MHA) reiterated through a notice in the bulletin that Indian Foreign Citizen (OIC) cardholders can only claim “NRI (Non-Resident Indian) quota places” at institutions in accordance with all India entrance tests such as National Entrance cum Eligibility Test (NEET), Joint Entrance Examination (Main), Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) or other similar professional tests across India.
- The notification also reproduced part of the guidelines issued by the ministry on November 15, 2019 on benefits for OIC cardholders.
- According to the notification, there is a prohibition from carrying out “missionary, mountaineering, journalism and other activities” without the prior authorization of the Government of India.
- The opinion gives legal force to the guidelines. The notification states that the OIC card holder will need to obtain a “special permit or special permit” from the competent authority.
- India does not allow dual citizenship, but offers certain benefits to OICs under section 7B (I) of the 1955 Citizenship Act.
- The new opinion replaces three previous opinions published on the issue on April 11, 2005; January 5, 2007; and January 5, 2009, respectively. Previous notifications did not specify the special authorization required for “missionary, tabligh, mountaineering or journalism activities”.
- OICs are eligible for the granting of a lifetime multiple entry visa to visit India for any purpose and are exempt from registering with the FRRO for any period of stay in India.
- The new notice adds that OCI cardholders who normally reside in India will notify the FRRO by email whenever there is a change of permanent residential address and occupation.
- The notification would not affect the government’s 2018 decision that made OICs eligible to be appointed as continuing education teachers at leading educational institutions, such as Indian Institutes of Technology, National Institutes technology, Indian Institute of Management, Indian Scientific Education and Research Institutes, Indian Institute of Science and Central Universities.
Haryana farmers blocked road in protest against farm laws
Daily NEWS Summary||06-03-2021; Restless farmers staged blockades at various locations on the 135 km Kundli-Manesar-Palwal highway, which connects the five districts of Haryana, on Saturday, in response to a call by Farmers Protest the agricultural laws.
- The protests have caused traffic jams and hijackings in many places. Following a call from Samyukt Kisan Morcha (SKM), a common front of farmers’ unions, to block the road for five hours, protesting farmers gathered at various places along the road around 11 a.m. morning. and they blocked it.
- The blockades occurred at two points each in Sonipat and Jhajjar, according to initial reports.
Air France flight makes emergency landing after Indian passenger assaulted flight attendant
Daily NEWS Summary||06-03-2021; An Air France flight en route from Paris to New Delhi made an emergency landing at Sofia Airport in Bulgaria at around 5 p.m. on Friday due to a worrying passenger,
- The passenger, an Indian national, began to behave shortly after take-off, fighting with other passengers, assaulting a flight attendant and banging on the cabin door, said Ivailo Angelov, an official for the National investigation agency.
- His aggressive behavior led the captain to request an emergency landing in Sofia. The man, whose name has not been released, was removed from the plane and charged with endangering the safety of the flight. If found guilty, he faces up to 10 years in prison.
Covid Updates: Daily NEWS Summary||06-03-2021; The number of reported coronavirus cases in India was 1,11,96,303 at the time of this bulletin, with the death toll at 1,59,083.
Daily NEWS Summary||06-03-2021; Axar Patel and Ravichandran Ashwin quickly worked on a struggling English batting lineup as India rushed to the inaugural World Test Championship final with a resounding recovery and 25-Run victory on the third afternoon of the fourth and final Test in Ahmedabad.
- India needed was a draw to book Lord a June date with Kane Williamson’s New Zealand, but Patel (6-24-48-5) and Ashwin (5-22-4-47-5) literally blew their minds.
- England in a session- and a half to a skinny 135 in 54.5 overs to complete a 3-1 win, ensuring that the Anthony De Mello Trophy will remain at the Cricket Center in Mumbai.
Daily NEWS Summary||06-03-2021; Former Union Minister and Trinamool (TMC) Congressman Dinesh Trivedi joined the BJP today, less than a month after announcing his resignation from Rajya Sabha on February 12.
- Trivedi, who joined the party in the presence of BJP Chairman JP Nadda at headquarters, Meanwhile, the BJP today published its first list of 57 candidates for the West Bengal Assembly elections.
- The Nandigram Assembly in West Bengal’s Purbi Medinipour district is poised for a mega political contest with the BJP appointing Suvendu Adhikari to take over as Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
- The constituency will go to the polls in the second phase on April 1.