Toolkit Case: Disha Ravi is taken into custody for 3 days
Delhi court on Friday sent climate activist Disha Ravi, arrested for allegedly sharing a “toolkit” on social media linked to the farmers’ protest, to three days in custody. Metropolitan Additional Chief Magistrate Akash Jain sent Ravi, 22, to jail after Delhi police brought her to court after her five-day interrogation expired.
- Police said his custody questioning was not required at this time and the agency may request his further questioning once his co-defendants, Shantanu Mukul and Nikita Jacob, join in the questioning.
- Police said Ravi had been evasive during his previous questioning and tried to blame the co-accused. Mukul and Jacob were invited to appear before the investigative agency on February 22, the agency told the court.
- The defense attorney opposed the police guilty plea and urged the court to release Ravi. The court was also told the defendant had submitted a bail application to be presented at Saturday’s hearing.
- Last Sunday, the court sent Ravi into custody for five days after saying his custody questioning was necessary to investigate a larger alleged plot against the Indian government and to determine his alleged role in connection with the Khalistan movement.
- Cyber Cell has filed an FIR against the “pro-Khalistan” creators of the toolkit to wage a “social, cultural and economic war against the Indian government”.
China says four of its troops killed in Galwan clash
China said on Friday for the first time it had lost four soldiers, including a battalion commander, in the June 15 clash in the Galwan Valley, breaking the silence on the number of casualties suffered by the military People’s Liberation (PLA).
- The PLA said the announcement, made eight months after the confrontation, was intended to honor the soldiers and “set the record straight” after accusing India of “distorting the truth” and “defaming Chinese border troops” .
- Twenty Indian soldiers were killed in the clash which marked the worst border violence since 1967. The official PLA daily said that “five Chinese border officers and soldiers stationed in the Karakoram Mountains have been recognized by the Central Military Commission of China for defending national sovereignty and territorial integrity, ”one of which was wronged.
- The report, however, does not indicate the total number of injuries sustained by the EPL. The PLA probably suffered a much higher number of injuries, and Indian officials said they counted around 60 Chinese soldiers carried on stretchers after the clash.
Bengal court summons Amit Shah in defamation case
On Friday February 22nd, a West Bengal appointed parliamentary / parliamentary court summoned Union Interior Minister Amit Shah to appear in person or through a lawyer in a defamation case brought against him by Trinamool Congressman Abhishek Banerjee. The special judge of the MP / MLA Court in Bidhannagar ordered that Shah’s presence, either personally or through a lawyer, be necessary to answer a defamation charge under section 500 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). In a press release, Abhishek Banerjee’s lawyer Sanjay Basu claimed that Shah made certain defamatory statements against the Trinamool MP on August 11, 2018 at a BJP rally on Mayo Road in Kolkata.
<iframe style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="//ws-in.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=IN&source=ac&ref=tf_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=confidantclas-21&marketplace=amazon&region=IN&placement=0143442295&asins=0143442295&linkId=d42e61de31765acf2eaa31e6bb8b1ee7&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true&price_color=333333&title_color=0066c0&bg_color=ffffff"> </iframe>
Dr. Reddy’s initiates the emergency use authorization process for Sputnik V
Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd. announced on Friday that it has initiated the process with the Comptroller General of Medicines of India (DCGI) for the Emergency Use Authorization (USA) of the human adenoviral vector vaccine candidate Sputnik V.GV Prasad, Co-Chair and Managing Director of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, said: “The effectiveness of Sputnik V has been reported at 91.6% by The Lancet, which is an impressive development in the fight against COVID-19. Launching the USA process will be a crucial step for us to ensure rapid access to Sputnik V vaccine in India. Sputnik V was the world’s first registered vaccine against Covid-19 based on the human adenoviral vector platform.
Uber drivers are entitled to workers’ rights, the main rules of the UK courts
A group of Uber drivers entitled to worker rights like minimum wage, the UK Supreme Court ruled on Friday, dealing a blow to the ride-sharing service that has ramifications for millions more in the casual jobs economy. In a case led by two former Uber drivers, a London labor court ruled in 2016 that these were duties that also included paid holidays and breaks. Uber drivers are currently treated as self-employed, which means that the law provides them with minimal protection.
- A total of 25 drivers were part of the case and Uber said the verdict did not apply to all of its current 60,000 drivers in Britain, including 45,000 in London, one of its most important global markets. Uber’s shares fell 3.4% before trading after the court announcement.
- The irregular work economy, where people tend to work for one or more companies in the workplace, has been criticized by unions calling it exploitative, while companies say many of those who work there benefit from this flexibility.
- Uber has faced opposition from unions and challenges with its business model in several countries as it disrupts the taxi market. In November, however, he saw a challenge in his local market in California, where voters backed a ballot proposal that solidified app-based food delivery and the status of transportation drivers as independent entrepreneurs and not employees.
Covid Watch: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India stood at 1,09,75,469 at the time of publication of this newsletter, with a balance of 1,57,595.
Buckingham Palace has confirmed that Prince Harry and his wife Meghan will not resume their royal duties and that Harry will renounce his honorary military titles. When Harry and Meghan left royal life full time in early 2020, it was agreed that the situation would be reviewed after a year. Harry’s appointment as Captain General of the Royal Marines and with other military groups would go to the hands of Queen Elizabeth II. The couple lives in California and is expecting their second child.