Prime Minister sees ‘aandolan jeevi’ and a new ‘FDI’
Prime Minister Narendra Modi coined two terms on Monday, ‘aandolan jeevi’ (professional protesters) and ‘foreign destructive ideology’ to ridicule the opposition and some protesters and individuals foreigners who tweeted in support of the current peasant unrest.
- In response to the motion of thanks for the president’s speech to Rajya Sabha, Modi said that India is not only the largest democracy in the world; she was the “mother of democracy”.
- A new type of FDI has emerged in the country and is called “foreign destructive ideology”. “We need to be more aware to save the country from such an ideology,” he said.
- Modi spoke of a new generation of protesters, “aandolan-jeevi”, who could be seen with every commotion. “These parasites feast on every turmoil. When they are not at the front, they operate behind the curtains, they cannot survive without shock, “he observed.
- Asking everyone to educate young people about the country’s glorious history, he said: “Those who are suspicious of Indian democracy, I want to ask you to learn to understand it.
- Our democracy is not a Western institution, it is a human institution. Indian nationalism must protect itself against multiple attacks ”.
- Samyukta Kisan Morcha, who is leading the farmers’ protests, condemned Prime Minister’s statements in parliament about “andolan jeevi”.
The Super Bowl features a 30-second television commercial about the farmers’ protest
This year’s Super Bowl, a championship football game that is also one of the most-watched events on American television, featured a 30-second commercial on the turmoil of farmers in India, calling it “the greatest manifestation in history”.
- The announcement was funded by the Sikh community in Fresno, a city in central California, according to a grateful tweet from pseudonym Kisan Ekta Morcha, who is the official voice of the protesters.
- This year’s 30-second Super Bowl ad cost $ 5.5 million, and last year’s championship audience was around 100 million.
- The ad begins with a quote from Martin Luther King: “Injustice everywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
- Images of the farmers’ tractor parade and their border camps are covered in texts denouncing human rights violations against protesters.
- Punjabi music plays as “No farmers, no food, no future” flashes on the screen. Includes a message from Fresno Mayor Jerry Dyer. “We want you to know, our brothers and sisters in India, that we are with you,” he said.
- Fresno has a large Sikh population, possibly as many as 40,000, according to some local reports. Pop music icon Rihanna’s viral tweet about the protests is also mentioned.
China calls VK Singh’s statement on LAC “an involuntary confession”
In response to comment from the Union Minister of State for State Transport and Highways on Sunday, India has transgressed more times than China along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), but the government does not announce it The Chinese Foreign Ministry, in a press conference today, called it “an involuntary confession.”
- “Let me assure you that if China has transgressed 10 times, we must have transgressed at least 50 times,” Singh said, adding: “Today China is under pressure because we are sitting in some places (along the border), where not ‘ You like.
- When asked to respond to this comment, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said: “This is an involuntary confession on the part of India. For a long time, the Indian side has committed frequent acts of intrusion in the border area in an attempt to invade Chinese territory and has constantly created disputes and frictions, which are the source of tension on the border between China. We urge the Indian side to move forward with the consensus, agreements and treaties that it has reached with China. “
- Chinese state spokesman Global Times, in an opinion piece published today, was quick to note: “Singh’s latest comments not only embarrassed India, but also made US and other western countries, which have long supported India, bad. Just days ago, Emily J. Horne, a spokeswoman for the National Security Council, expressed Washington’s concern over “Beijing’s model of continued attempts to intimidate its neighbors” in the first response from the new US administration to the border clash between China and India. However, Singh quickly proved who the real “bully” was. “
South Africa reserves 1 million doses of Covishield shipped from India; To use Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines instead
South Africa has stopped using AstraZeneca’s Covid-19 injection, Covishield, in its vaccination schedule after data showed it provided minimal protection against mild to moderate infection caused by the dominant variant of the coronavirus in the country.
- AstraZeneca vaccine is produced by the Serum Institute of India (SII) and marketed under the name Covishield. This is one of two vaccines, the other is Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin, which India is using in its anti-Covid-19 vaccination program.
- South Africa intended to start injecting AstraZeneca to healthcare workers soon, after receiving 1 million doses of IBS.
- However, it will now offer vaccines developed by Johnson & Johnson and Pfizer in the coming weeks, as experts examine how AstraZeneca injection can be implemented.
Uttarakhand Glacier disaster – death toll exceeds 15; Hydropower project setback
At least 15 people killed and more than 150 are missing after part of the Nanda Devi glacier in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand shattered on Sunday, causing an avalanche and flooding in the system since the Alaknanda River.
- Flash floods in the middle of the day on the Dhauli Ganga, Rishi Ganga and Alaknanda rivers, all closely related tributaries of the Ganges, caused widespread panic and large-scale havoc in high mountain areas.
- Two power projects, NTPC’s Hydel Tapovan-Vishnugad project and Hydel Rishi Ganga project, suffered significant damage, with dozens of workers trapped in tunnels as floodwaters rushed in.
- The outbreak of the Uttarakhand Glacier caused an estimated loss of Rs. 1,500 crore on NTPC’s 480mw Tapovan-Vishnugad hybrid project and put a question mark over its scheduled commissioning for 2023, Energy Minister Union, RK Singh said on Monday.
- The minister went to Tapovan on Monday to assess the extent of the damage at the project site, a day after the glacier erupted in the Chamoli district.
Covid Watch: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India was 1.08,38,341 at the time of publication of this bulletin, with a toll of 1.57,719.
India has so far provided the Covid-19 vaccine to over 60 lakhs of frontline and healthcare workers without any cases of serious adverse events or deaths attributable to vaccination to date, a the health ministry said on Monday. India has so far reported 22 post-vaccination deaths, although none of them are attributed to the vaccine itself.