Farmers say Delhi police approve tractor parades
On Saturday, Delhi police allowed protesting peasant unions to hold their January 26 tractor parades in the nation’s capital, peasant leaders said. Tractor parades will begin at Delhi’s Ghazipur, Singhu and Tikri border crossings, but details will be finalized tonight, farmer chief Abhimanyu Kohar said after attending a meeting between unions and police.
- Mr Kohar said Delhi police gave their approval to the same. Speaking to reporters, another peasant leader, Gurnam Singh Chaduni, said that as thousands of farmers will participate in the parade, there will be no one road.
- Farmer chief Darshan Pal said barricades at Delhi border points will be removed on January 26 and farmers will hold tractor rallies after entering the nation’s capital.
India will continue to ban Chinese apps, including Tik Tok
The government has sent notifications to Chinese apps, including Tiktok, that the order to block them will be upheld. The notice was issued by the Department of Electronics and Informatics after reviewing responses to blocked applications, according to a source who declined to be identified. When contacted, Tiktok confirmed having received a response from the government.
- The government blocked 59 Chinese apps in June and 118 other apps, including the PUBG mobile game, in September 2020.The Ministry of Information Technology blocked apps under Section 69A of the Technology Law information after discovering that applications were involved in activities which prejudice the sovereignty and integrity of India, the defense of India, state security and public order.
Why not four rotating capitals for India ?, asks Mamata
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee asked on Saturday why India should only have one capital in Delhi and suggested there should be four rotating capitals in different parts of the country.
- The Chief Minister made the proposal during a meeting after going on a road show to mark the 125th birthday of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose. Later that day, as she attended another Netaji event at the Victoria Memorial alongside Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the Chief Minister expressed her displeasure at the slogans erected at the site among the slogans were cries of “Jai Shri Ram!”
Vijay Mallya asks for ‘another route’ to stay in UK
Vijay Mallya has asked Home Secretary Priti Patel for ‘another route’ to stay in UK, counsel for the tycoon of the alcohol representing him in bankruptcy proceedings before the High Court in London, confirmed in a remote hearing on January 22.
The 65-year-old businessman, whose legal challenge to the Indian government’s extradition request was rejected at the UK Supreme Court level last year, remains in the UK on bail until that Ms Patel sign the extradition warrant to India to deal with fraud and money laundering charges linked to the now defunct Kingfisher Airlines.
So far, the UK Home Office has only confirmed that legal proceedings are still pending before the extradition order can be enforced.
This has sparked widespread speculation that Mallya had applied for asylum in the UK, details of which have not been confirmed or denied by the UK Home Office while an application is pending.
Iconic TV and radio host Larry King passed away
TV and radio host Larry King died on Saturday at the age of 87. An official statement on Twitter from him said he died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. The statement did not mention how he died, but reports earlier this month indicated that King had tested positive for the coronavirus.
- A nationally syndicated radio host from 1985-2010, he appeared nightly on CNN, where he won numerous accolades, including two Peabody Awards.
- His CNN show Larry King Live, which ran from 1985 to 2010, made him a household name. In 2011, he received an Emmy Award for his lifetime achievement, one year after announcing his retirement. According to the Associated Press, King has conducted approximately 50,000 on-air interviews.
- In 1995, he chaired a Middle East Peace Summit with PLO President Yasser Arafat, King Hussein of Jordan, and Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin.
- He has welcomed everyone from the Dalai Lama to Elizabeth Taylor, from Mikhail Gorbachev to Barack Obama, from Bill Gates to Lady Gaga.
Covid Watch: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India stands at 1,06,52,368 at the time of publication of this bulletin, with a balance of 1,53,366.
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is expected to deliver the first batch of three native light combat helicopters (LCH) to the army and air force by March 31, a defense official said. They are one of 15 Limited Series Production (LSP) LCH helicopters approved by the Defense Acquisition Council (DAC).