After cookies and bamboo bottles, Tripura launched “bamboo rice”, an exotic variety of rice derived from bamboo flowers. Special rice is said to be high in protein, beneficial for joint pain and diabetes.
- Tossing bamboo rice to the State, Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb said bamboo blossom rice would be “an economically profitable product and people could become self-reliant with it.” He called on entrepreneurs to take initiatives in marketing this exotic variety.
- Stating that bamboo rice is beneficial for boosting immunity and rich in protein, the chief minister expressed the hope that it will greatly help boost the state’s entrepreneurship.
- Odisha is famous for bamboo rice. While bamboo or mulayari rice only grows once every year, in case a dying bamboo shoot blooms and leaves its seed there.
- Muli bamboo, which is commonly grown in Tripura, is particularly favorable for this sweet, wheat and nutritious bamboo rice.
- Currently, Tripura cultivates 21 species of bamboo in 3,246 square kilometers of woodland and planned forest area.
- In 2019, the state government embarked on an ambitious plan to put an area of 15,000 hectares under bamboo cultivation by engaging the departments of rural development, forests and local communities through incentive methods.
- Almost 80% of this bamboo is muli bamboo. As additional measures, the state government has already taken initiatives to promote bamboo plantations on riverbanks, roads and fallow land.
- Earlier this year, Tripura’s bamboo bottles caused a stir in the domestic market with Bollywood divas such as Raveena Tandon and actor Manoj Vajpayee taking steps to increase production.
- Bamboo cookies, launched in Tripura last month, have also made a good entry into the country’s consumer market as a tasty but healthy variety of crispy food.