India’s economy is expected to contract 10.3%, says IMF
Indian economy is expected to reach -10.3% (i.e. witness a contraction) in 2020, said the International Monetary Fund (IMF). It forecasts global growth of -4.4% (a contraction in production of 4.4%) for this year.
- The projections were part of its October 2020 World Economic Outlook report entitled “A Long and Difficult Rise”.
- The 2020 projection for India is -5.8 percentage points lower than the IMF’s June projection for the country.
- India is expected to recover in 2021 with growth of 8.8%, an improvement of 2.8 percentage points from the June update.
“The forecast revisions are particularly important for India, where GDP contracted much more severely than expected in the second quarter,”the report said.
- For the world as a whole, the growth projection for 2020 has been revised up by 0.8 percentage points since June, due to a less difficult second quarter and signs of a stronger recovery in the third quarter, partially offset by deterioration in some developing countries. and emerging economies (except China).
China blames India’s infrastructure development for tensions in the LAC region
- A day after the marathon talks between corps commanders in Chushul, eastern Ladakh failed to reach a disengagement agreement, China said.
- The “root cause” of the recent tensions was India’s infrastructure development and military deployments along the Royal Line of Control (LAC).
- Indian officials have previously rejected the claims, pointing to the surge in Popular Liberation Army (PLA) troops, multiple transgressions, and the attempt since May to unilaterally redefine LAC.
- China’s claim highlights the difficulty faced by the seven rounds of military talks in advancing the stalled disengagement process and achieving a return to the status quo that India has demanded.
- After the sixth round, on September 21, the two sides agreed in a joint statement to “stop sending more troops to the front.”
- However, the troop build-up remains and Indian officials believe the Chinese side may be bracing for the long, harsh winter ahead.
- Tuesday’s joint press release was unclear on a possible timetable for the withdrawal.
- They said the two sides had “a sincere, deep and constructive exchange of views on the disconnection along the actual line of control in the western sector of the India-China border areas.”
- Significantly, the statement did not mention a return to the status quo ahead of China’s May transgressions, a prospect that seems unlikely in light of the PLA’s entrenchment of its positions in areas like the North Rim. from Pangong Lake.
The United States poses a ‘great security risk’ to Asia, wants to build an ‘Indo-Pacific NATO’, said Wang Yi
- The United States poses a ‘great security risk’ to Asia by pushing to strengthen engagement with the region, they said.
- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Tuesday during a tour of Southeast Asia, where Beijing and Washington are fighting a battle for influence.
- Wang Yi, speaking in Malaysia, said the real goal of the United States is “to build a NATO in the Indo-Pacific” in a strategy that he believes dates back to the Cold War.
- Washington is trying to “incite confrontation between different groups and blocs, and stimulate geopolitical competition while maintaining the US system of domination and hegemony,” Wang said at a joint press conference with his counterpart Malaysia, Hishammuddin Hussein.
- “In this regard, this strategy in itself poses a huge security risk,” Wang said. He also urged Southeast Asian countries, which aim to develop a code of conduct with China for the South China Sea, to ” external disturbances “in contentious waters.
- China’s aggressive moves to enforce its territorial claims in the South China Sea, through which a third of global shipments pass, has sparked reprimands from the United States and has become a flash point in a region where several Southeast Asian countries, including Vietnam, the Philippines and Malaysia. and Brunei have contrary claims.
“Shocked” by the governor’s language, Sharad Pawar said in a letter to the Prime Minister
- NCP leader Sharad Pawar wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday to complain about the “tempered language” used by Maharashtra governor BS Koshyari in his letter to Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray regarding the reopening of religious places of worship in the state.
- “I agree with the Hon. The governor can have his independent views and opinions on the matter. I also appreciate the governor’s prerogative to convey his views to the Chief Minister. However, I am shocked and surprised to see the governor’s letter given to the media and the type of language used in the letter, ” he said in his letter to the Prime Minister.
- “Unfortunately, the governor’s letter to the chief minister invokes the connotation as if it had been written for the leader of a political party,” Pawar tweeted, after delivering the letter to Modi.
- “In the preamble of our Constitution, the word secular is added, which equates and protects all religions and therefore the president of the chief minister must uphold these principles of the Constitution,” Pawar’s letter said.
- “I’m sure he would also have noticed the foul language that was used and also the type of language used in the letter that is not well suited to a person in constitutional office.”
- In his letter to Thackeray, Koshyari had asked: “I wonder if you have a divine hunch about continuing to postpone the reopening [of places of worship] or if you have suddenly become ‘secular’ yourself, the term you hated. ? “
- In his response to Koshyari, Thackeray replied, “Have you forgotten that you also swore by the constitution that it also contains the word ‘secular’. Are you rejecting it? … The reopening of the temples is not secular and keeping them closed is secular? “
NGOs seeking foreign donations must open an FCRA account at the New Delhi branch of the SBI by March 31
- The Home Office (MHA) has requested all NGOs seeking foreign donations to open an account FCRA appointed at the New Delhi Branch of the State Bank of India before March 31, 2021.
- The MHA ordinance reiterated that NGOs registered under the FCRA will not receive foreign donations to any other bank account as of April 1, 2021.
- In September, Parliament amended the Foreign Contributions Act (regulation) of 2020 and a new this provision obliges all non-governmental organizations and associations to receive foreign funds into a designated bank account at the New Delhi branch of the SBI.
- On Tuesday, the MHA issued an order specifying the process for opening the FCRA bank account.
- Currently, 22,434 NGOs and associations are active within the framework of the FCRA.
- The ordinance stipulated that an NGO should inform the authorities of the amount and source of foreign remittances received.
- The order states that the Center notified the main branch of SBI in New Delhi (NDMB), 11 Sansad Marg, New Delhi-110001, to open the “FCRA account” to receive the foreign contributions.
- MHA said that in order to open the account, the applicant does not need to go to NDMB in Delhi and can go to the nearest SBI branch or SBI branch of their choice.
- He said that all individuals / associations / NGOs who are already registered under the FCRA will have sufficient time to switch to the new system and will be able to open accounts at the NDMB until March 31, 2021.
- “However, all new applicants for a certificate of registration or prior authorization under the FCRA, 2010, you must first open the FCRA account at NDMB to receive foreign contributions… ”the order stated.
Aadhaar is not mandatory for birth and death registration
- Aadhaar’s provision is not mandatory for birth and death registration, the Registrar General of India (RGI) said in a statement. recent response to a request from RTI.
- When Aadhaar is provided on a voluntary basis, it should not be printed on any document or stored in a birth and death database in its full form, according to an RGI circular cited in RTI’s response.
- Visakhapatnam defender M.V.S. Anil Kumar Rajagiri had submitted an RTI request asking if Aadhaar was mandatory for death registration or not.
- In its response last week, posted on Twitter by LiveLaw, the RGI referred to an April 2019 circular to clarify that “the requirement of the Aadhaar number is not mandatory for the registration of births and children death”.
The number of reported coronavirus cases in India was 72,32,224 at the time of this bulletin, with a death toll of 1,10,620.
- Two indigenous candidate vaccines are in the final stages of the phase II clinical trial, said Niti member Aayog V.K. Paul, adding that the results should be available soon.
- “The third candidate vaccine (Oxford) involving the Serum Institute is undergoing a third phase clinical trial. The results are expected by the end of November, ” he said.
A Delhi court, which heard J. Akbar’s defamation case against journalist Priya Ramani, transferred the case to the district and session court on Tuesday. Attorney Rebecca John told that even if the case is transferred to another court, it will start where it left off, as all cases will also be transferred.
- The additional metropolitan chief magistrate (ACMM) Vishal Pahuja, who initiated the final arguments in the case on February 7 this year, said that the current case was not brought against a parliamentarian or parliamentarian therefore, it will be transferred to the “Competent Court ”.
- The case will now go to the Main District Court and Session Judge (Rouse Avenue District Courts) on October 14 for more appropriate warrants.
- Cristiano Ronaldo tested positive for coronavirus, the Portuguese soccer federation announced on Tuesday. He has no symptoms and is isolated, the federation added.
- The Juventus striker, who has been voted the best player in the world five times, has played in Portugal’s Nations League draw against France, but will be absent in his team’s clash with Sweden. Wednesday.