The government must be afraid of its complacency, says Raghuram Rajan on the contraction of the GDP: the contraction of 23.9% of the GDP growth figures for the first quarter of fiscal year 2020-21 “should alarm us all”, and The government and its bureaucrats must be “afraid of their complacency” and engage in meaningful activity, former RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan said in a LinkedIn post.
- With discretionary spending expected to remain low until the virus is contained, government relief becomes even more important, Rajan said, adding that the government’s reluctance to do more today to conserve resources for one. possible future stimulus is “self-destruction” strategy.
“Without aid measures, the growth potential of the economy will be severely damaged,”he said.
- Rajan added that the 23.9% contraction in India, which will likely be worse when estimates of damage in the informal sector are released, compares to a drop of 12.4% in Italy and 9.5% in the United States, two of the most advanced Covid -19 countries affected.
Vodafone and Idea merge to become one brand: “Vi”
- Vodafone and Idea, the two brands of Vodafone Idea Ltd (VIL) have been renamed together “Vi” (read as “We”) from Monday and With this news identity, the two separate brands will now disappear.
“The integration of the two brands is the culmination of the world’s largest telecommunications integration,”VIL said in a presentation to the exchanges.
- Introducing the new brand, Ravinder Takkar, MD and CEO of VIL said, “Vodafone Idea joined as a merged entity two years ago [Aug 31, 2018]. Since then, we have focused on the integration of two large networks, our employees and our processes ”.
- He said the brand integration not only marked the completion of the world’s largest telecommunications merger, but also put the company on its future journey to deliver “world-class digital experiences to a billion of Indians ”.
- A Chinese spokesman said China “has never recognized so-called Arunachal Pradesh”, calls it “southern Tibet’: days after the People’s Liberation Army (PLA ) allegedly abducted five Indians in the Upper Subansiri district of Arunachal Pradesh (click here to read the article), Chinese state-owned media Global Times reported that Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said the following, Beijing “did not have details on sending a message from the Indian Army to the PLA about five Indians missing in the region.”
- Union Minister Kiren Rijiju tweeted that the Indian military had sent a telephone message to the PLA regarding the alleged kidnapping incident. The Global Times report also quoted Lijian as saying that China has never recognized “the so-called Arunachal Pradesh”, which is “the southern Tibet region of China.”
Ram Madhav attends funeral of slain Tibetan SFF soldier and deletes tweet
- So far the government has never publicly recognized the 58-year-old “Special Border Force” (SFF). But today BJP General Secretary Ram Madhav tweeted about attending the funeral of company boss Nyima Tenzin, who military sources said was killed in an accidental mine explosion during a patrol in Ladakh last week.
- The funeral for Tenzin, who belongs to the Choglamsar Tibetan refugee settlement on the outskirts of Leh, took place on Monday morning.
- Soldiers wearing SFF uniforms gave the final salute and Madhav laid a wreath. Songs of “Bharat Mata ki Jai” (Long live India) and “Tibet desh ki Jai” (Long live the nation of Tibet), accompanied by slogans from the “Regiment of Vikas” (like the seven battalions of the SFF or “Establishment 2 -2 “know each other), got up after the horn was sounded at the funeral.
- “Attended the funeral of SFF Company Chief Nyima Tenzin, a Tibetan who gave his life protecting our borders in Ladakh,” Madhav wrote in a tweet on Monday, adding: “May the sacrifices of these brave soldiers bring peace . along the Indo-Tibetan border. It will be the real tribute to all martyrs. “He later deleted the tweet.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MEA) and the Ministry of Defense declined to comment on the funeral and whether the public funeral for the Tibetan soldier indicated a departure from the past.
- A senior MEA official told The Hindu that Madhav “did not represent the government”, adding that since there was “no official communication, only media reports” about the funeral, this did not mean a change in position. of the government.
- Kangana Ranaut gets category Y security, thank you Amit Shah: The Union Ministry of the Interior has granted central security cover to actor Kangana Ranaut, a senior ministry official said today. The actor has been involved in conversations on Twitter with the ruling Shiv Sena government in Maharashtra since the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput. He has been living in his family’s home in Manali, Himachal Pradesh, for the past few months.
- The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), deployed in internal security functions, will provide coverage to Ranaut throughout the country, the official said. It was unclear if the actor will pay for the security blanket. Industrial Mukesh Ambani, who also benefits from CRPF security coverage, pays fees to the government for using the services. Category Y implies that the individual will be protected by 11 to 12 people 24 hours a day.
- Reacting to the development, Ranaut thanked Interior Minister Amit Shah on Twitter. “It shows that the fascists cannot crush a patriotic voice. I am grateful to Amit Shah, if he wanted he could have advised me to go to Mumbai after a few days, but he respected a girl from India, he protected her pride and self esteem. Jai Hind, ”he tweeted in Hindi.
- Djokovic disqualified from US Open: World number one Novak Djokovic was disqualified from the US Open after a freak incident on Sunday. He led 5-6 in the first set of his US Open fourth round match against world number 30 Pablo Carreño Busta, a frustrated Novak Djokovic inadvertently hitting a linesman in the throat with the ball. Djokovic immediately realized that he had made a serious mistake and ran to see the linesman. But the damage was done, and the tournament officials who followed the rules had no choice but to disqualify Djokovic and award the match to Busta. While there is no question that Djokovic inadvertently hit the linesman, the Grand Slam rules leave little room to excuse such behavior. The Serbian had to be disqualified for “intentionally hitting a ball in a dangerous or reckless way on the court or hitting a ball with negligent consequences.”
- Government intervention in education policy should be minimal, Prime Minister said: Government intervention in education policy should be “minimal,” Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Monday, emphasizing that politics belongs to the country in as a whole, rather than a specific government. Power. Modi addressed the inaugural session of the Governors Conference on National Education Policy (NEP), which was attended by ministers of education and vice chancellors. The objective of the conference is the implementation of the NEP.
- “Education policy and the education system are an important means of realizing the aspirations of the country. Central and national governments, as well as local agencies, are all responsible for the education system. But it is also true that government interference or intervention in educational policy must be minimal, “said Modi. “Just as foreign policy or defense policy are policies of the country and not of the government, so is educational policy. It belongs to the whole country, ”he added, calling for“ collective responsibility ”in the implementation of the policy.
The number of reported coronavirus cases in India stood at 42,44,604 at the time of this bulletin, with a death toll of 72,161. After recording a daily jump of 90,802 new cases, India has moved Brazil to second place after the United States in terms of number of cases. This is the second day in a row that India has reported more than 90,000 new cases. Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh are the five most affected states. Meanwhile, India’s attorney general KK Venugopal went into isolation on Monday after his colleague tested positive for coronavirus.
The Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) conducted a successful test flight of the hypersonic technology demonstration vehicle on Monday
- The Defence Research and Development Organsition (DRDO) on Monday successfully carried out a test flight of the Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV), which will lead to the development of hypersonic cruise missiles in future. “It’s a major technological breakthrough. This testing paves the way for the development of more critical technologies, materials and hypersonic vehicles. This puts India in a select club of nations who have demonstrated this technology,” DRDO Chairman Dr. G. Satheesh Reddy said. A test of the technology demonstrator was earlier conducted in June 2019.