Facebook bans BJP leader
Facing harsh criticism for alleged biases in implementing its own hate speech rules in India, Facebook has now banned BJP politician T. Raja Singh from its platforms forms for violating its policy on content that promotes violence and hate.
- The action comes after Wall Street Journal reports said the company violated its own hate speech rules in favor of certain people, including those associated with the ruling BJP.
- Singh’s ban action follows alleged opposition from Facebook India’s public policy manager Ankhi Das. Das said that punishing violations committed by ruling party politicians “would hurt the company’s business prospects in the country.”
- The Journal report also highlighted Singh’s articles which called “Muslims traitors” and that “Rohingya refugees in India should be shot”.
China on Thursday criticized India’s decision to ban 118 Chinese apps, accusing New Delhi of “abusing the concept of national security” and suggesting that India is coordinating with the United States in its actions against Chinese companies.
- In a separate statement, the Foreign Ministry in Beijing suggested that there was coordination between India and the United States, which on September 2 welcomed India’s decision to ban 118 applications , which followed the previous June order to ban 59. Chinese applications.
Army chief arrives in Leh for a two-day visit
Amid high tensions on the southern shore of Pangomg Tso (lake) in Ladakh and high operational alert from the Indian army and military Air Force (IAF), the head of the army, General Manoj Naravane, has arrived at Leh Thursday. He is on a two-day visit to Leh to review the operational readiness in the Ladakh region following recent events, an army source said.
- The Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria, had visited frontline air bases at Eastern Air Command (EAC) a day earlier.
- The IAF said in a statement; “Upon arriving at the EAC bases on Wednesday, the CAS was received by the respective air officers in charge, who briefed them on the state of readiness and the operational readiness of combat units under their command. ”
- And in Chushul, India-China talks continued for a fourth day as the two sides tried to ease tensions. “Talks are continuing but not much is to be expected,” a military source said.
Prime Minister’s Twitter Account Hacked
A Twitter account linked to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s website, narendramodi.in, was hacked early Thursday morning and hackers attempted to demand cryptocurrency from its followers.
- The U.S. social media giant said it was aware of the activity and had taken steps to secure the compromised account. “We are actively investigating the situation.
- At this time, we are not aware of any additional accounts affected, ”a Twitter spokesperson said in an email response. Twitter suffered a major attack in July this year, with some hackers accessing its internal systems to take control of the accounts of top public and corporate figures, including that of US presidential candidate Joe Biden.
- The hack into Modi’s account, according to Twitter surveys, was not due to a compromise of his systems or service.
SC to hear the request of the Palestinian Authority government to keep English as the language of instruction until Class VI
The Supreme Court on Thursday issued an opinion on the request of the government of Andhra Pradesh to make English the language of instruction of the classes I to VI in all their schools.
- The Andhra Pradesh government had approached the Supreme Court to challenge the State High Court’s decision to overturn a November 2019 government order that made the teaching of Middle English mandatory for classes I to VI in primary, upper primary and secondary schools in all directions as of 2020 – 21.
- It was to be gradually extended to each additional class in the following academic years. A court composed of judges DY Chandrachud, Indu Malhotra and KM Joseph sought the response of Srinivas Guntipalli, at whose request the High Court of Andhra Pradesh had ordered, in April this year, the execution of the State plan with the aim of make English the language of instruction.
- Lead attorney K V Vishwanathan, who appeared for the state government, attacked the order during the video conference hearing.
- He said most parents wanted English to be the language of instruction and that it was a forward-looking and progressive measure under the Constitution. The court issued an opinion but dismissed the state’s request to stay the Superior Court order. He set the reason for the hearing for September 25.
SC orders removal of 48,000 slums along Delhi Railways
The Supreme Court has ordered removal of approximately 48,000 slums located in safe areas along Delhi railways. He ordered the kidnapping to be completed in three months. In one of the latest orders issued by a court led by Judge Arun Mishra, who stepped down on Wednesday, the court said “there should be no interference, political or otherwise” against his removal. Significantly, he said that any provisional suspension order issued by a court against the removal of such encroachments will be deemed ineffective.
- The court also ordered interested parties to prepare a comprehensive slum removal plan. The plan must be developed and executed in stages. A railway affidavit filed in court said there was a “predominant presence” of slums along 140 kilometers of railways in Delhi.
N. Ravi was elected Chairman of Kasturi & Sons Limited: N. Ravi was elected Chairman of Kasturi & Sons, the holding company of The Hindu Group, at the company’s board of directors meeting on September 3, 2020. Among Kasturi subsidiaries and Sons Ltd. is THG Publishing, which publishes The Hindu, Business Line, Frontline and Sportstar; KSL Media, which publishes Hindu Tamil Thisai; KSL Digital Ventures, which hosts the digital real estate platform, Roofandfloor.com; and Sporting Pastime, which took over the activities of the resorts.
Covid Watch: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India was 39,25,585 at the time of this news summary, with a death toll of 68,566. Emphasizing that while life is important, livelihoods are equally vital, the Union Health Ministry said Thursday that India is undertaking the unlocking process despite the trend of increasing Covid-19 cases. However, it does so with due precautions, preparation and awareness. At a press conference, Health Secretary Rajesh Bhushan said that five states, Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra, accounted for 70% of the total Covid cases in India. But only two states, Karnataka and Delhi, show an increase in daily deaths. There is an increase in the death trajectory of cases in two states: Karnataka and Delhi. Delhi saw a 50% increase and Karnataka saw a 9.6% increase in average daily mortality, he said.
US CDC Tells States to Prepare for Coronavirus Vaccine Distribution in October
- Reuters Reports US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has ordered State public health officials to prepare to distribute a potential coronavirus vaccine to high-risk groups by the end of October.
- The timing of the vaccine has political implications as U.S. President Donald Trump seeks re-election in November. Trump has committed billions of federal dollars to develop a vaccine for Covid-19, which has killed more than 180,000 Americans.
“For the purpose of initial planning, CDC provided states with certain planning assumptions as they work on state-specific plans for vaccine distribution, including possibly having limited quantities of vaccines in October and November,”a CDC spokeswoman told Reuters.