Former President Pranab Mukherjee passes away
Former President Pranab Mukherjee passed away today at the age of 84. The news was announced via Twitter by his son Abhijit Mukherjee developed a lung infection on August 19. Previously, on August 10, he underwent emergency surgery for a life-saving brain clot and has been on life support since. He had also tested positive for Covid-19.
India’s GDP contracted 23.9% in the April-June quarter
India’s GDP contracted 23.9% in the April-June quarter while that coronavirus lockdowns have hit an economy that is already slowing down, official data showed on Monday. This is the economy’s worst performance since 1996, when India started publishing quarterly figures.
- It was also “worse than any of the world’s largest economies,” Bloomberg reported.
- The data also showed the manufacturing sector was in the midst of a recession, with output falling 39.3% in the June quarter, shortly after declining 1.4% in the previous quarter.
- Analysts believe India is on track for its first full-year contraction in four decades.
- On the day the GDP figures arrived, the BSE index fell 839 points (2.13%) to close at 38,628, while the NSE Nifty closed 260 points (2.23%) in down to 11,388.
Prashant Bhushan fined Rs. 1 by Supreme Court for contempt of court
A three-judge Supreme Court led by Judge Arun Mishra punished civil rights lawyer Prashant Bhushan with a fine of 1 rupee for criminal contempt with his two tweets. The court said Bhushan, who was present at the sentencing hearing held by videoconference, had to pay the fine by September 15 or face three months in simple jail and a three-year ban.
- Bhushan duly paid the fine, but said he would seek a review of the original sentence that found him in contempt of court. Judge Mishra, who read the decision, said the court asked Bhushan to regret his tweets about “not once, but many times.” Nevertheless, he had considered Attorney General K.K. Venugopal’s suggestion to take into account the professional good done by Bhushan.
- Reacting to the ruling, Bhushan said in a statement, “I intend to comply with this order and will respectfully pay the fine, just as I would submit to any other legal sanction.”
Another escalation in Ladakh as the PLA becomes entangled again
In an escalation of the ongoing confrontation on the Ladakh border, Chinese troops have taken aggressive steps to change the status quo on the southern shore of Pangong Tso and the attempts were thwarted says the army. Monday.
- Indian troops anticipated this PLA activity on the southern shore of Lake Pangong Tso, took steps to strengthen our positions and thwart Chinese intentions to unilaterally change the facts on the ground, the army said.
- A flag meeting was being held at the brigade commander level in Chushul to resolve issues, the military added.
- Although the military does not share operational details at this time, a defense source said there was a movement of PLA troops in the Chushul area, after which the Indian army also repositioned his troops as a precaution to avoid any setback.
- About 25 PLA soldiers who meddled with the Royal Line of Control (LAC) were stranded by Indian troops, a defense source said. About 100 PLA soldiers were also seen under Black Top Hill, on the other side of LAC. There was no physical shock, a second source said.
- Following this latest clash in Ladakh, the Kashmir-Ladakh highway was closed to civilian traffic to ensure that the flow of military vehicles was not disrupted.
Adani Enterprises Obtains a Majority Stake to Manage Mumbai Airport
- Adani Enterprises Ltd. announced that it has reached an agreement to acquire a majority stake in the company that operates Mumbai International Airport.
- With this, Adani will also take control of the new airport arriving at Navi Mumbai.
- This transaction is subject to regulatory approval. GVK ADL is the holding company through which the GVK group owns 50.50% of the capital of Mumbai International Airport Ltd. (MIAL), which in turn owns 74% of the capital of Navi Mumbai International Airport Limited (NMIAL ).
- Along with Mumbai, the Adani group, led by billionaire Gautam Adani, has also secured concession agreements for six other airports; Jaipur, Guwahati, Ahmedabad, Mangaluru, Lucknow and Thiruvananthapuram.
First commercial flight between Israel and the United Arab Emirates
The historic first commercial flight between Israel and the United Arab Emirates departed for Abu Dhabi on Monday from Ben-Gurion Airport, days after the normalization of relations between the two countries under mediation of America.
- The flight carried a high-level Israeli delegation led by National Security Advisor Meir Ben Shabbat and an American delegation led by President Donald Trump’s adviser and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and United States National Security Advisor Robert O ‘ Brien.
- Israel and the United Arab Emirates announced on August 13 that they were establishing full diplomatic relations, following a US-brokered deal that required Israel to suspend its plans to annex parts of the West Bank.
- The United Arab Emirates is only the third Arab country to establish diplomatic relations with Israel. Egypt and Jordan are the other two Arab nations that recognize the Jewish state.
The General Directorate of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has extended the suspension of scheduled international flights until September 30. “However, regular international flights can be authorized on certain routes by the competent authority on a case-by-case basis,” the DGCA circular told me. International flights are prohibited from March 23.
West Bengal will see a total lockdown on September 7, 11 and 12. Today a notification has been issued in this regard. In accordance with the Unlock 4 guidelines issued by the Center, the Union government should be consulted before making any lockdown decision. However, the Chief Secretary of State said that the West Bengal government would continue with this closure program.
The number of reported coronavirus cases in India was 36,79,751 at the time of this news summary, with a death toll of 65,436.
On Monday, the Supreme Court dismissed a petition for review filed by fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya against a 2017 contempt verdict. The court found Mallya in contempt of court for willful disobedience to his clean-up order. its assets and for not disclosing that it had received $ 40 million from British spirits company Diageo Plc. following his resignation as Chairman of United Spirits Limited in February 2016.