Idukki landslide toll exceeds 40
With the recovery of an additional 16 bodies in the Pettimudy property area near Rajamala today, the total death toll has passed 40. According to official data, another 24 people follow missing at the crash site where a large landslide on Thursday buried four agricultural plots (houses of agricultural workers).
- Despite unfavorable weather conditions including rains and fog that hampered the search operation on the mountainous terrain, efforts to expel water from the area began on Sunday.
- About 200 members of the NDRF searched the area where three acres of land are completely under rubble. Access to the excavators was difficult as the area was flooded.
- A platoon of district police dogs also joined the search operation. Sniffer dogs helped track many bodies from the crash area. Drones were also used to monitor the area and eight bodies were recovered from the flowing stream near the hapless layams where the landslide stream joined. Seven excavators were dedicated to removing the rubble to excavate the area.
The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) ordered an investigation on Sunday shortly after MK DMK Kanimozhi complained that a female paramilitary agency officer at Chennai airport asked him if he was Indian not to speak Hindi.
“It wouldn’t have been a problem if the incident had taken place in Delhi. Surprisingly, this happened at Chennai Airport”,Ms. Kanimozhi said.
- Shortly after experiencing the experience while on her way to New Delhi, the Thoothukudi MP tweeted. “Soon the headquarters of the CISF responded by promising appropriate measures.”
- We sincerely recognize your unpleasant experience. Please provide DM travel details; name of the airport, location, date and time of the incident to take appropriate action in the matter, ” the agency said.
The Ministry of Defense (MoD) “would introduce an embargo on imports of 101 items beyond the deadline set to stimulate the indigenization of defense production,” Defense Minister Rajnath Singh announced on Sunday in a statement series of tweets. The policy change follows Chinese transgressions and build-up along the royal line of control in Ladakh. China has refused to remove forests from several regions. He has massed troops since April-May and refused to leave areas along the indefinite border which were traditionally patrolled by the Indian military.
Ahead of the Rajasthan Assembly session, Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Sunday called on all MPs to hear the voice of the people to save democracy and defend the truth for the benefit of the people of the state. The session of the Assembly in the state, which has seen political upheaval following the rebellion of Sachin Pilot and lawmakers loyal to him, will begin on August 14. Mr Gehlot will likely call for a vote of confidence during the session. In a letter to all MPs, Mr. Gehlot asked for their cooperation in honoring the state’s promises of development and prosperity.
Online restaurant guide and food ordering platform Zomato said on Saturday it was introducing up to 10 days of “free time” for all female employees to create a more inclusive work culture in the organization.
Rahul Gandhi calls EIA project “dangerous“
Former Congress President Rahul Gandhi said today that the 2020 environmental impact assessment project is “embarrassing” and “dangerous”, and has the potential to reverse many of the difficult accomplishments made over the years in the battle for environmental protection.
- The draft EIA (2020) was published by the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEF & CC) with the intention of replacing the 2006 EIA notification under the Law on environmental protection of 1986.
- In a lengthy Facebook post, Gandhi said the proposed legislation would unleash highly polluting industries such as coal mines and other mineral mines.
- The number of corona virus cases reported from India stands at 22,11,342 at the time of publishing this news summary with the death toll at 44,435.
- India on Sunday recorded 64,399 new cases. The Health Ministry continues to play up positive numbers. Scaling up testing capacity, over seven lakh samples have been examined for COVID-19 in a day taking the cumulative tests conducted so far to 2,41,06,535, it said today.
- The number of recoveries too has surged to 14,80,884 with 53,879 coronavirus patients having recuperated and discharged in 24-hours, the highest in a day so far, pushing the recovery rate to 68.78%. The fatality rate has further dropped to 2.01 per cent, it added.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday launched a new financing scheme under the Rs. 1 lakh crore Agriculture Infrastructure Fund meant for setting up storage and processing facilities, which will help farmers get higher prices for their crops, according to a government statement. Mr. Modi launched the scheme via videoconferencing and interacted with farmers across the country.
- He also released the sixth instalment of funds under the PM-KISAN, which amounted to Rs.17,000 crore to about 8.5 crore farmers. The first Rs.1,000 crore was sanctioned on Sunday to over 2,280 farmer societies under the Agriculture Infrastructure Fund, which was approved by the Cabinet a month ago, the statement said.