The Ministry of Defense (MoD) has removed a document from its website admitting Chinese incursions into Indian territory in eastern Ladakh. The four-page Defense Ministry document, now deleted, under the title Chinese Aggression, stated that “the Chinese side had transgressed in the areas of Kugrang Nala, Gogra and the north shore of Lake Pangong Tso from May 17 to 18, 2020 “.
- Meanwhile, India has reportedly told China it will not retreat further in the region along Lake Pangong, as military commanders on both sides continue discussions on disengagement in the eastern Ladakh.
- At the last meeting, China demanded that India leave a critical post to break the deadlock in the separation negotiations.
- It wanted India to remove a critical post called the Dhan Singh Thapa post located to Finger 3, one of the spurs along the lake, as a prerequisite for Chinese forces to return further to Finger 8, where India believes the Current Line of Control (LAC) is found, refused to do so, claiming that The Finger 3 station is located in Indian territory.
After the resignation yesterday of G.C. Murmu, the first lieutenant governor (L-G) of the Union Territory (UT) of Jammu and Kashmir, BJP politician Manoj Sinha will take over as the new L-G. Murmu, whose resignation came exactly one year after the founding of UT, Murmu, in recent weeks, had been embroiled in some controversies suggesting disagreements with the Center.
- In particular, his comments suggesting that 4G internet should be reestablished in the valley encountered problems with security agencies, who had recommended not to do so.
- In another case of disagreement, the Indian Election Commission (EC) detained him for saying that the UT elections would follow the delineation exercise, arguing that this should be decided by the EC.
The RBI decided to keep the benchmark repurchase rate, already at its lowest level since 2000, unchanged at 4%, and the repo rate at 3.35%. The decisions were announced after the 24th bi-monthly meeting of the six-member RBI Monetary Policy Committee (MPC), chaired by Governor Shaktikanta Das.
- The repo rate is the rate at which the RBI lends to commercial banks, and the reverse repo is the interest rate that banks earn on the funds they place with the RBI.
- The RBI last cut rates on May 22 to stimulate demand in an economy suffering from the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Regarding the outlook for the rest of the year, Governor Shaktikanta Das said India’s GDP will contract in the first half of FY21, as well as over the full year.
Facebook Inc. deleted a post from US President Donald Trump. The company said the publication broke its rules against sharing misinformation about the coronavirus.
- The post contained a video clip of an interview Trump recorded with Fox & Friends (a morning news show hosted by Fox News Channel) earlier in the day, in which he claimed children were “almost immune” to Covid-19.
A day after China urged the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to discuss the Kashmir issue in a closed-door meeting, India “strongly” rejected the Chinese initiative and reiterated that Kashmir was an internal problem. China’s move came on the first anniversary of the repeal of Article 370. China launched a similar measure on August 16 last year when it revived “the India-Pakistan issue” at the UNSC. The issue had not been discussed in the Council since the Indo-Pakistani war of 1971.
The number of reported coronavirus cases in India stood at 20,21,264 at the time of this news summary, with a death toll of 41,609. India recorded 56,282 new cases on Thursday and the day also saw a record increase in the death toll, with 904 deaths reported.
- The Pune-based Serum Institute of India (IBS), one of the world’s largest vaccine makers, has opted for another potential candidate for the coronavirus vaccine as it seeks to take the lead in any eventual launch of vaccine worldwide.
- While preparing to conduct advanced human trials on the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine candidate, under the brand “Covishield” in India, SII has entered into a supply and license agreement with US vaccine developer Novavax Inc.
- Novavax reported on Tuesday that its candidate had “obtained robust antibody responses” in the early stages of human trials with 50 volunteers.
- Meanwhile, the Union Health Ministry on Thursday said India’s coronavirus recovery rate has now risen to 67.62%, while the death rate has fallen to 2.07%.
The Centre today told the Supreme Court that foreign Tablighi Jamaat members are free to return to their countries regardless of their pending trial, provided they apologise for participating in a religious congregation in the national capital during lockdown.
- The BCCI confirmed on Thursday that their title sponsorship deal with Chinese mobile phone company Vivo has been suspended for the upcoming edition of the IPL. In a one-line statement, the BCCI confirmed the news but did not provide details.
- Fugitive diamond dealer Nirav Modi, who is fighting extradition to India, was again detained until August 27. The ruling came after his video appearance at a regular pretrial hearing in a UK court on charges related to Punjab National’s $ 2 billion bank fraud and money laundering (GNP) case.
- Swapna Suresh, the second defendant in the diplomatic gold smuggling case, claimed that she had personal knowledge of Prime Minister Pinarayi Vijayan in her official capacity as representative of the UAE Consulate General, the National Agency for Investigation (NIA) reported to the Special Court . The defendant also said she had close ties to senior officials and the prime minister’s office.