Ahead of the crucial session of the Rajasthan Assembly which begins on August 14, a compromise could emerge between the two rival factions in the ruling Congress, with the two sides softening their stance on the rebellion organized by the Sachin Pilot.
- MLAs loyal to pilots would be willing to attend the session as MLA’s to Congress, although their vote depends on Pilot leadership.
- Recent actions by the pilot camp have suggested a possible compromise.
- Pilot, who was dismissed from his post as chairman of the Pradesh Congress Committee, congratulated his successor, Govind Singh Dotasra, on taking office on July 29, and hoped he would respect the party workers without any pressure or prejudice.
Expressing your opinion or your anguish in good faith, however open, unpleasant or unpleasant, cannot constitute contempt which amounts to scandalizing the court, said civil rights lawyer Prashant Bhushan in his response to the contempt notice by the Supreme Court.
- Bhushan was responding to a suo motu contempt action brought against him in his tweets, one on a photograph of India’s Chief Justice Sharad A. Bobde on a motorcycle, and the other on the functioning of the Supreme Court in the last six years under four bosses.
- Judges Remaining on the subject of contempt of court, our legal correspondent, in a review article today, underlines that past verdicts warn judges against victims of “easy irritability”.
- The Supreme Court has ruled that contempt only arises when an attack is supposed to hinder or destroy the judicial process.
- A constitutional bank of seven Supreme Court justices in a suo motu contempt case against former Madras Superior Court judge C.S. Karnan has said contempt does not exist to protect individual judges.
- Judges are supposed to be strong men, able to thrive in difficult weather conditions.
- Another verdict, half a century older, says that the ordinary rules of slander and libel apply to a personal attack on a judge, unrelated to his office.
“The dogs can bark, the caravan will pass. The court will not be called upon to act because of easy irritability, ”the court reported in its Mulgaokar judgment reported in 1978.
Noting that the trilingual formula of the new National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 is “painful and sad”, Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Eddapadi K Palaniswamy, pledged not to implement the new policy. Claiming that the Center should reconsider the three-language policy, Palaniswamy said there would be no deviation from the two-language policy in Tamil Nadu, which has been followed for several decades.
- “Tamil Nadu will never allow the central three-language policy. The state will continue its dual-language policy (Tamil and English),” he said.
- While it is true that the tri-language policy leaves it up to states to decide what “third language,” political parties in Tamil Nadu see as a tacit attempt by the Center to impose Hindi.
- Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has repeatedly stated that the Center will not impose Hindi.No language at any state, DMK leader MK Stalin asked AIADMK to reject the NEP.
A day after the fifth round of corps commander talks between India and China, the all-powerful China Study Group (CSG) is expected to meet today and discuss the results of the talks aimed at moving forward the process blocked. disconnection in the real Control Line (LAC).
- Details are awaited on the outcome of the latest round of negotiations, which took place on Sunday Wednesday, after the government took stock of events.
- The fighting in eastern Ladakh has been going on for almost three months. The withdrawal did not go beyond the incomplete first phase despite four rounds of talks and both sides worked out the details.
- India has always demanded the status quo ante of pre-May positions throughout the Latin America and Caribbean region.
IT and Communication Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said on Monday that he had isolated himself for a few days according to protocol, since his meeting with Interior Minister Amit Shah on Saturday evening.
- Prasad, who is also justice minister, tweeted on Monday that he had been in isolation at his home for a few days, according to protocol.
- On a related note, Karnataka officials are now trying to find out how Prime Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa tested positive for the coronavirus (which he did on Sunday).
The Union Health Ministry has issued guidelines for the opening of gyms and yoga institutes, while specifying that all such institutions in containment zones would remain closed. The Ministry has said that visitors to gyms and yoga institutes should maintain a minimum distance of six feet from others.
- While use of face covers/masks is mandatory at all times within the premises, during yoga exercise or exercising in gyms, a visor may be used to avoid any difficulty in breathing during intense exercise
- The number of reported coronavirus cases from India stood at 18,47,139 at the time of publishing this news summary, with the death toll at 38,874. India on Monday recorded 52,972 new cases.
- The Drug Controller General of India on Sunday granted permission to the Serum Insitute of India in Pune to conduct phase-2 and phase-3 human clinical trials of the coronavirus vaccine candidate developed by Oxford University and British-Swedish pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca.