The number of reported coronavirus cases in India has crossed the 17 lakh mark and stands at 17,94,050 at the time of this news summary, with a death toll of 38,013. India reported 54,735 new cases of the coronavirus on Sunday.
- It was a day of new and high cases, and recovery, apparently. Home Minister Amit Shah tested positive for COVID-19 today and was admitted to Medanta Hospital in Gurugram. Doctors say that since he has other concomitant illnesses he is more vulnerable to the virus and is now under observation.
- Tamil Nadu governor Banwarilal Purohit has tested positive for COVID-19 but is asymptomatic and clinically stable, Kauvery Hospital in Chennai said. At least 87 people living in Raj Bhavan, the governor’s official residence, have tested positive for COVID-19 in recent days.
- Meanwhile, actor Amitabh Bachchan has been released from hospital after testing negative for coronavirus, his son Abhishek Bachchan said in a tweet. However, he is still in the hospital.
- And a major update on the numbers; Andhra Pradesh, which has seen an increase in cases over the past two weeks, has now overtaken Delhi as the third worst affected region in India. As of Saturday evening, Andhra had 1.50,209 infections, while Delhi had 1.36,716 cases.
The Center will not impose any language on any state through the new national education policy, Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank said today. Mr Nishank’s clarification, conveyed via a Tamil tweet, comes amid opposition to the NEP in Tamil Nadu by arguing that politics have imposed Hindi and Sanskrit.
- M.K. The Stalin-led DMK and many opposition parties in Tamil Nadu have opposed the NEP and want a review of the sweeping reforms it has proposed.
- On Saturday, the DMK chief said the policy was an attempt to impose Hindi and Sanskrit and vowed to fight it by joining like-minded parties and chief ministers from other states.
Amid massive preparations for the “bhoomi poojan” (opening ceremony) for the construction of a Ram temple in Ayodhya scheduled for August 5, confusion reigns over whether the architect of the movement Ramjanmabhoomi, the elder Deputy Prime Minister LK Advani received an invitation to participate in the ceremony.
The fifth round of corps commanders talks between India and China are underway in Moldo on the Chinese side to complete the stalled process of disconnecting along the current Line of Control (LAC). Talks began around 11 a.m. on August 2 in Moldo, opposite Chushul, a defense source said. Confirmation of the meeting came from the Chinese side late on August 1 at night.
- As in previous rounds, the talks are led by Lieutenant General Harinder Singh’s 14 Corps Commander and Southern Xinjiang Military Commander Major General Lin Liu. Corps commanders on both sides have so far held four rounds of talks on July 6, 22, 30 and 14 to reduce the scale of the build-up areas in the Galwan Valley, Gogra-Hot Springs and the region of Finger to along the Pangong Tso (lake) in the Ladakh sector throughout the Latin America and Caribbean region.
- It has become a kind of circular exercise and there is real concern that it may be a protracted situation and much more complicated than it appears.