Objective: To protect healthcare service personnel and property including their living/working premises against violence during epidemics.
- Violence will include harassment and physical injury and damage to property.
- Healthcare service personnel include doctors, nurses, paramedical workers and community health workers directly involved in work related to the epidemic; any other persons empowered under the Act by central or state government.
- Acts of violence shall be cognizable and non-bail able offences.
Commission or abetment of acts of violence: Punishment- imprisonment for a term of three months to five years, and with fine of Rs.50,000/- to Rs.2,00,000/-. In case of causing grievous hurt, imprisonment shall be for a term six months to seven years and with fine of Rs.1,00,000/- to Rs.5,00,000/-.
- The offender shall also be liable to pay compensation to the victim and twice the fair market value for damage of property.
- Investigation to be done by an officer of the rank of Inspector within a period of 30 days, and trial has to be completed in one year (court may extend reasonably).
- The scope of inspection of vessels arriving or leaving the country has been enlarged to include road, rail, sea and air vessels.