Sonia Gandhi calls on Congress to elect a new leader before a crucial meeting
Faced with an unprecedented situation of senior leaders questioning the party’s top leadership, it emerged that Congress President Sonia Gandhi asked her colleagues to find a new party chief and expressed his desire to step down in a letter.
- Although the content of Ms Gandhi’s letter has not been officially released, the move has prompted several other high-level leaders, such as Punjab’s Chief Minister Amarinder Singh and former Union Minister Salman Kurshid, to support the Gandhi before the crucial meeting of the Union.
- Tomorrow Working Committee of the Congress. The Delhi Pradesh Congressional Committee held an emergency meeting to discuss the issue, while more state units are supposed to back the Gandhis.
- Ms Gandhi’s letter is a response to a letter from a group of senior leaders, including opposition leader Ghulam Nabi Azad, Anand Sharma, Kapil Sibal, Lok Sabha member Manish Tewari Tewari, former trade union minister Veerappa Moily, former Chief Minister Bhupinder Hooda among others.
- In its letter, written about two weeks ago, the group questioned the Congress party’s style of operation and suggested radical reforms.
China has been administering the Covid vaccine since July, according to an official
China has been administering its nationally developed COVID-19 vaccines to a wide range of people since July. The number of people who have received the vaccine could soon be in the hundreds of thousands, including medical workers, the military and company employees working abroad on Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) projects, a health official said on August 22
- China has eight different vaccines that are undergoing clinical trials, and so far none have been approved for the market.
- However, some of the vaccines have been administered on an “urgent use” basis over the past month, said Zheng Zhongwei, director of the National Health Commission’s Medical Science and Technology Development Center, which leads the development program of vaccines.
- Authorities have allowed the administration of vaccines to medical workers, border officials and employees abroad, while the People’s Liberation Army (EPL) has also started inoculating military personnel. The vaccines are given in two doses, with the second given one month after the first.
“The number of people who get vaccinated urgently can reach hundreds of thousands across China, considering that free injections are offered to staff in broader sectors,”said Tao Lina, an expert in immunology, quoted by the newspaper directed by the Communist Party,
AG Refuses Consent to Contempt Action Against Swara Bhasker
Attorney General K.K. Venugopal has rejected consent to a petition to initiate criminal contempt action against actor Swara Bhasker for scandalizing the Supreme Court by saying that his comment on the verdict in the Ram Janmabhoomi title dispute “appears to be fact” and his ” perception”. The prior consent of the Attorney General is required for the Supreme Court to initiate criminal action for contempt in a case. The contempt declaration was filed by Karnataka resident Usha Shetty.
- Ms. Shetty has now requested the consent of Attorney General Tushar Mehta. She wrote to Mr. Mehta on Sunday, saying that she “respectfully differs” from Mr. Venugopal.
- The contempt declaration refers to a public speech delivered by Ms Bhaskar at a meeting organized by the Mumbai Collective following the Supreme Court ruling in the case of dispute over the title of Ram Janmabhoomi in November last year, in the that the court ordered the surrender of the disputed lands to the Hindus to build a temple.
The number of reported coronavirus cases in India is 31,02,233 at the time of publishing this news summary with a death toll of 57,648.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar published a six-page standard operating procedure (SOP) for the resumption of film and television series production. “’Contact minimization’ is at the core of the SOP. This will be ensured through minimal physical contact and the exchange of accessories, personal protective equipment for stylists and makeup artists, among others, ”said Mr. Javadekar.
- In announcing the decision on Doordarshan, Mr. Javadekar said that the SOP was part of the decision to restart all economic activities. “During the last six months, this industry had stagnated and many people had lost their jobs. We hope that all States will adopt this POE ”Added the Minister.
Trying to specifically woo American Indian voters, the Trump campaign launched a commercial featuring images of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump held in Houston nearly a year ago and in Ahmedabad in February.
- While the data shows that Indian Americans primarily vote Democrats, the Republican Party is trying to target voters who are likely to switch allegiance based on the Modi-Trump camaraderie.