Mass farmers’ rally in Shamli Unions call on farmers to keep tomorrow’s chakka jam free from violence
Thousands of farmers attended a meeting in Shamli district in western Uttar Pradesh on Friday amid a growing outcry over central agricultural marketing laws in the region. People from Shamli and neighboring districts started to arrive in Bhainswal village of Shamli by tractors, two and four wheelers and on foot for a “kisan panchayat” who was celebrating Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) there.
- People gathered there despite the Shamli administration refusing permission to assemble and imposing banning orders under Article 144 of the CrPC.
- It is the fourth major gathering of farmers in western Uttar Pradesh after Muzaffarnagar, Mathura and Baghpat, more some in Haryana, to support the current outcry against farm laws.
- Dozens of regional “khap” leaders, Union Bharatiya Kisan members and RLD vice president Jayant Chaudhary, among others, attended the event, even as security personnel were deployed in large numbers to the event. the region.
- RLD has already supported the ongoing peasant protests on the Delhi borders and in parts of Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan.
- Meanwhile, Samyukt Kisan Morcha’s management called on all protesting agricultural unions to ensure that tomorrow’s “chakka jam” or roadblock from noon to 3 pm is a peaceful and non-violent protest. SKM’s guidelines add that there will be no blockade throughout the national capital region of Delhi except where the protest sites are already located.
Comedian Munawar Faruqui Arrested For Failed Joke Gets Supreme Court Bail
The Supreme Court released comedian Munawar Faruqui on bail Friday in a case registered by Madhya Pradesh police for attacking religious feelings. Interestingly, the police had argued that he was arrested because he was about to make a joke that allegedly offended religious feelings.
- In a brief hearing, the bench of three, led by Judge Rohinton Fali Nariman, also stayed a production order issued by the government of Uttar Pradesh against Faruqui in a separate case based on the same facts.
- Noting that the allegations against him were vague, Judge Nariman said that the police did not follow the legal procedure prescribed by article 41 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) before arresting the comedian.
- Judge Nariman noted that the Supreme Court, in a scathing decision in Arnesh Kumar against the state of Bihar in 2014, warned state governments and their police not to deprive personal liberty without following due process. The arrest is not a tool of harassment, the court warned.
Government Cancellation of UPSC Exams
The Union government informed the Supreme Court on Friday that it had “agreed” to give UPSC candidates who had exhausted their last chance in the last preliminary exam on October 4, 2020, but age was not forbidden, another crack in this year’s exam.
- This decision marks a 180-degree turn from the government’s previous position, when it informed the Supreme Court on January 22 that it would refuse to give candidates, including “last attempts”, another chance on exams.
- An affidavit filed by him in court a month ago argued that any further attempt or reduction in age for some applicants would amount to prolonging the difference in treatment. This would lead to “an inequality of the playing field”.
- Candidates who moved to court had asked for another chance, saying their exam preparations and performance on the October 4 exam failed due to “a myriad of inevitable circumstances suffered due to the Covid-pandemic. 19 “.
- The government said the wiggle room was a “one-time, limited gratuity” for those who took the 2020 Civil Service Exam as a “last allowed attempt.”
One nation, one Ombudsman: RBI to integrate consumer complaint redress system
The RBI announced today that it will integrate consumer complaints under a single ombudsman against the three systems currently in place.
- There are currently consumer redress programs for ombudsmen in banks, non-bank financial corporations, and digital transactions. This decision is aimed at facilitating the complaint redress process by allowing customers of banks, NBFCs and non-bank issuers of prepaid instruments to register their complaints as part of the integrated system, with a centralized benchmark, it stated.
- The RBI plans to implement the integrated online ombudsman system in June 2021, he said. Das said that the protection of financial consumers has gained a high political priority in all jurisdictions and the RBI has taken a number of initiatives in this direction.
- The RBI had implemented the Complaints Management System (CMS) portal as a comprehensive solution for alternative dispute resolution of customer complaints not satisfactorily resolved by regulated entities.
Covid Watch: The number of reported coronavirus cases in India was 1,08,14,465 at the time of this newsletter, with a balance of 1,56,315.
More than 18 months after the phase-out following the repeal of J & K’s special status, 4G broadband internet services are being restored in Jammu and Kashmir, a senior government official said today.
The RBI’s Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) has decided to keep the policy rate on pensions of the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) unchanged at 4.0%. Therefore, the repurchase rate under the LAF remains unchanged at 3.35% and the Permanent Marginal Facility (MSF) rate and the discount rate at 4.25%.
- The MPC has also decided to continue to adopt an accommodative stance for as long as necessary, at least in the current fiscal year and in the next fiscal year, to revive growth and mitigate the impact of Covid-19 on the economy.
The aircraft components sector in the country is expected to double from Rs. 30,000 crore today at Rs. 60,000 crore by 2024, according to Defense Minister Rajnath Singh.
- On the final day of Aero India, Singh said that the government’s efforts to reduce defense imports to at least $ 2 billion by 2022 would continue.
- “We have signed 128 memoranda of understanding (MoU) and 19 technology transfers (ToT). In addition, of the 45 micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) participating in Aero India, 21 packed orders worth Rs 203 million. It’s a great achievement, ”he said.