The government does not have data on deaths / job losses of migrant workers due to the pandemic
The Ministry of Labor and Employment does not have data on the number of migrant workers who have lost their jobs or on the number of those who lost their lives during the Covid.
- On November 19, Union Minister Santosh Kumar Gangwar briefed Lok Sabha on Monday with written responses to questions from members.
- The Minister of State (with independent charge) of Labor and Employment told the Chamber that “this data is not saved” when asked if the government has carried out an evaluation of the job loss of migrant worker and if you knew any deceased workers on the way back to your home country during closing.
- The fact that the government does not have this data raises questions about its ability to adequately assess the human costs of closure and the effectiveness, or not, of the aid measures announced.
- When asked if free rations were being distributed to all ration card holders, Gangwar replied that details of the condition were not available.
- Amid opposition protests, Lok Sabha agrees to suspend Question Time: Lok Sabha passed a motion on Monday to end Question Time and private members’ affairs during the current monsoon session, but not without facing the rejection of the opposition banks, which described the executive as prevailing over the legislative and violating the rules of separation of powers.
- Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pralhad Joshi presented the motion to the Lok Sabha citing the extraordinary circumstances in which the House was convened and sessions were allocated four hours a day.
- However, the opposition refused to be swayed and Congressman Lok Sabha Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury described Question Time as the “golden hour” of the House.
- “We have the opportunity to pose problems for ordinary people,” Chowdhury said, adding that by doing so, the government was trying to suppress a democratic practice that has been followed since independence.
- Noting that Question Time and the businesses of private members were cornerstones of democracy, AIMIM MP Asaduddin Owaisi said: “I urge the president not to allow the executive to invade the territory of the legislature. It’s an embarrassing day.
- He also asked for a division of the motion, which was not accepted by President Om Birla.
- No immediate action to demolish slum groups in Delhi: Center tells SC: The Center informed the Supreme Court on Monday that no immediate action would be taken to demolish 48,000 slum groups located in safe areas along the river. along the train tracks in Delhi.
- Appearing before a court headed by Chief Justice of India Sharad A. Bobde, Attorney General Tushar Mehta said consultations were under way between the railways, the Delhi government and the Development Union Ministry.
- They would take into account that any immediate movement would result in the displacement of more than two Lakh families amid a pandemic, he added.
- The court scheduled the hearing of the case after a month. The dispute is based on an order from the Supreme Court itself. On August 31, a court chaired by Judge Arun Mishra, now retired, ordered the suppression of the conglomerates within three months.
- The court said interference from politicians or otherwise against the ordinance would not be allowed. He also said that any suspension order from a court would be considered ineffective.
- Following the order, Congressional leader Ajay Maken and the residents of these groups urgently approached the court, defying the blanket order to destroy their homes.
- Calling the order “devastating”, they informed the court that the Ministry of Railways, the Delhi government and local authorities had already started the process of identifying and eliminating the “jhuggies” and had issued warnings. demolition notice in several slums. from Delhi.
“They circumvented the legal procedure regarding rehabilitation prior to demolition, as set out in the JJ and Delhi Slum 2015 rehabilitation and resettlement policy,”Maken presented to the court through his attorney Nitin Bonjour.
Prashant Bhushan pays a fine of 1 rupees – Civil rights lawyer Prashant Bhushan paid a fine of 1 rupees imposed by the Supreme Court as punishment for criminal contempt with tweets that “scandalized” the court.
- Speaking to the media outside the Supreme Court compound, Bhushan said that paying the fine did not mean that he had accepted the sentence that found him guilty. A petition for review has been filed against the verdict, he added.
Truth Fund to provide legal support in the fight for freedom of expression
- With hundreds of people willing to support Bhushan by symbolically contributing $ 1 (or more) towards his fine, a fund has been established to use the money to help others who they fight for freedom of expression.
“The Satyamev Jayate or Truth Fund will be used to provide legal support and amplify the voices of those facing criminal charges for defending their conscience and speaking the truth,”activist Anjali Bhardwaj said at the meeting.
- While participating in the discussion, retired Supreme Court judge Madan Lokur lamented the “iron hand” of the state and the lack of transparency in the judiciary.
- The arbitrary use of pretrial detention, the rise in sedition charges, the labeling of opinions as “fake news” and the misinterpretation of statements such as Bhushan’s tweets have led to restrictions on freedom of expression. unconstitutional expression.
The judge wants actor Suriya to be arrested for contempt
A Madras High Court judge wrote to the Chief Justice requesting the opening of contempt proceedings against actor Suriya after describing the course of the process of National Admissibility with Entry (NEET) claim as “unfair” to students. Suriya issued a statement Sunday after three students enrolled in NEET committed suicide on Saturday. In his statement, the actor said that it hurts him to see students forced to write such “manuneethi tests” during a pandemic.
25 MPs tested positive for Covid-19
17 MPs from Lok Sabha tested positive for Covid-19 after mandatory tests before the monsoon session that started Monday morning. Of those that tested positive, the BJP had the maximum number (12), the YRS Congress had two, and the Shiv Sena, DMK and RLP one each, according to senior officials. Reports also indicate that more than seven members of Rajya Sabha have tested positive, including two from Congress and the BJP, and one from Telangana Rashtra Samithi and the Aam Aadmi party.
The number of reported coronavirus cases in India was 49,15,881 at the time of this bulletin, with a death toll of 80,750. The battle against Covid-19 was still far from over, Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan told Parliament on Monday.
Farmers organize protests against the Center’s agricultural ordinances in Punjab: Around a dozen farmer groups held demonstrations in Punjab on Monday to express their anguish against the Center’s agricultural ordinances, demanding their immediate withdrawal. Farmers marching from Haryana to New Delhi to participate in a protest called by the Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) were reportedly detained at the state border. Farmers were seen raising slogans and demanding the immediate withdrawal of the three ordinances: the Farmers Agreement (Empowerment and Protection) Ordinance on Price Guarantee and Agricultural Services, 2020; Agricultural and Agricultural Products Trade (Promotion and Facilitation) Ordinance 2020 and Commodity Ordinance (Amendment) 2020.
NDA candidate Harivansh Narayan Singh of Janata Dal (United) was re-elected on Monday as Vice Chairman of Rajya Sabha by voice vote. The opposition had sent Manoj Jha, a member of the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD).