M.S. Dhoni calls it quits: ‘Consider me retired’
Two-time World Cup-winning former India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni retired from international cricket on Saturday, ending over a year of suspense and an era during which his often unorthodox leadership and finishing skills became the stuff of legends.
LAC or COL, our jaws gave an adequate response – PM
Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his Independence Day speech at Red Fort said on Saturday that Indian soldiers had given an adequate response to those challenging the sovereignty of the country, from the control line to the actual control line.
- “From LoC [line of control] to LAC [actual line of control], whenever India has been implicated, our soldiers have given an appropriate response in a language they understand,” he said. – he declares.
- In a speech that lasted 90 minutes, Modi spoke about the policies and programs that have been developed to address the economic and health challenges of the pandemic and the security challenges at the border.
- Applauding frontline workers in the battle against the novel coronavirus, he said India was going through a unique phase due to the pandemic, but would emerge victorious. Stressing that India should be self-sufficient, he said that self-sufficiency should become a “mantra” for all compatriots.
National digital health mission and health identity card for all citizens
Committee to review the minimum age of marriage for women
- On the infrastructure front, Modi announced that the task of connecting villages over six lakhs in India with a fiber optic network will be completed within 1000 next days .
- In addition, high-speed internet connectivity via an underwater fiber-optic cable will be extended to Lakshadweep during this period, he said. Modi also became the first prime minister to speak about menstrual health in an I-Day speech when
- The number of coronavirus cases reported from India stood at 25,65,971 at the time of publishing this news summary, with the death toll at 49,764. India on Friday recorded 65,002 new cases.
- Indian companies have sought technical details on the trials of Russian Covid-19 vaccine from the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) for possible production in India, Indian Embassy sources in Moscow said.
- Separately, in an interview to Russian state media Sputnik, Indian Envoy in Moscow D.B. Varma said, “I had a productive discussion with CEO of RDIF, Mr. Kirill Dmitriev and we are hopeful of positive outcome.”
- Earlier this week, Russian President Vladimir Putin had announced the successful development of the world’s first vaccine against Covid-19.
‘I have more Indians than her’, Trump taunts Kamala Harris
- “If Joe Biden would become the President, he will immediately pass legislation to gut every single police department in America and probably Kamala [Harris] is a step worse.
- She is of Indian heritage. I have more Indians than she has,” said President Donald Trump said, while speaking to members of the City of New York Police Benevolent Association.
- Democratic Presidential nominee Joe Biden’s running mate Kamala Harris is of mixed Indian and Jamaican heritage.
- Harris’s candidature, announced earlier this week, has been widely seen as a big challenge for Trump’s Presidential bid, given her stronger track record in public debates compared to her Republican counterpart Mike Pence.